Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2024 5:45:19 PM EDT
I have various 9mm pistols for carry purpose.  I'll carry anything from Sig P365 on small end to Glock 34 on the large end.
I keep in stock 2 different carry ammo...one +P and one standard pressure load.  For past 6 or 7 years I have carried Winchester Ranger 124gr SXT +P and Winchester Ranger 147gr SXT for standard pressure.  I use standard pressure load in my smaller/lighter pistols (and my Hi-Power) and +P load in larger/heavier pistols (Glocks, CZ, Sig, etc.).  Now I'm down to my last box of both ammo so I'll need to replenish them with new ammo.  

I'm looking at Federal HST series right now...124gr HST +P and 147gr HST non +P.  My decision is based on availability and price as I'll buy 500 rounds of each to keep and occasionally shoot over next several years.  
The other option is to go with Speer Glock Dot series 124gr +P and 147gr. but they seem harder to find and are more expensive.  I tried couple boxes of Federal Punch 124gr and I liked them a lot but they are harder to find now and a lot more expensive than last year.

Any other ammo makes I should look at?
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:25:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Any will get the job done but I’m well stocked on Gold Dots having carried them for many years and seeing them perform perfectly on a person.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 7:46:12 PM EDT
[#2]
HST or Gold Dots is all I have ever carried.  They are usually available and reasonably priced so I can practice / rotate my carry ammo 3 or 4 times a year.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I did countless hours of ballistic gel testing through all sorts of media and only one round worked from my G43/G19/G17 used fro different barrel lengths. It is the round I use in all my 9mm carry pistols and that is HST 124gr STANDARD pressure.  It penetrated 15.5-18" 500 out of 500 times and expanded each and every time   That was through bare gel, 4 layers of denim, 4 layers of heavy denim and layers of hood wear...t shirt, hoodie and down vest. If you plan on having heavy barriers like car doors or wooden doors then the Hornaday 135+P critical duty worked well for that
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:46:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Some good deals to be had on HST 9mm out there.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 5:53:56 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry 124 HST in standard pressure. Was part of our agency ballistic testing when we switched. It performed well, and more consistently then its competitors.

It's in all my 9mm magazines.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 6:03:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MONGO45] [#7]
I was part of the T&E team for my department a few years back for ammunition

We did full FBI protocol testing to include laminated glass, drywall, sheet metal and heavy clothing

We selected 124 +P HST with 124 +P Gold Dot being a close second.

Gold Dot seemed to perform slightly better after a barrier wher HST was slightly better muzzle to target.

Our previous duty load was 147gr HST but when they added a second canilure we began to see it impact performance.

Large department with 2k sworn. We’ve had a lot of shootings with the new ammo ( approx 30) some with multiple shooters.

Performance has been very good if accuracy is…. There in lies the problem. No bullet is effective on crappy strikes.

Your requirements may differ from ours but selecting HST or GD is a pretty safe bet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 9:08:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Everything I own gets 124 gr standard pressure HST. I'll use Gold Dot in the same weight and pressure if for whatever reason I run out of HST and can't find more available. There's no reason to look at anything else when these two have universal acclaim in testing and proven results shooting real people.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:21:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Speer makes a non +P version of the 124-grain Gold Dot; I would go with that for your standard-pressure load.  The +P version works very well on bad guys.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spectre3:
Everything I own gets 124 gr standard pressure HST. I'll use Gold Dot in the same weight and pressure if for whatever reason I run out of HST and can't find more available. There's no reason to look at anything else when these two have universal acclaim in testing and proven results shooting real people.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By spectre3:
View Quote

Same, except I typically default to Gold Dot and back that up with HST if need be. I find them to be basically interchangeable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:40:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 6:33:39 PM EDT
[#13]
HSTs are a great choice.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Can’t believe I made it in before some numbskull said “FORTY FIVE.”

But count me as another vote for HST. Or for 115, Barnes TACTX or whatever it’s called.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 3:57:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I attended a demo put on by a large ammo distributor and was most impressed with G2 147gn if you had to shoot through barriers (i.e., windshields), but HST 147gn for everything else.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Another vote for the 124 grain HST. I prefer the +P, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 4:38:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
Another vote for the 124 grain HST. I prefer the +P, but you really can't go wrong with any of them.
View Quote
Me too.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:29:32 PM EDT
[#18]
I've always carried Ww Silver tips
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:33:24 PM EDT
[#19]
I've switched from gold dot to HST in the past.couple years. Mostly 147gr. My pistol with a radian ramjet gets HST 124 +p, as it makes the comp more effective.  I noticed the HST gets more beat up and more bullet setback than my gold dots did with the same pistols, so I swap them out more frequently,  but overall I'm happy with a good stock of either HST or Gold Dot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 10:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
This stuff really makes a difference on a full mag.

Ultra light
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I carry 124gr HydraShok or 124gr Gold Dot +P.

I always use the +P in short barrel guns to give a little more velocity.  My arbitrary definition of "short barrel" is 3.5" or less.  Think Glock 26, S&W Shield, Hellcat, etc.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:50:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By 26120:
I've always carried Ww Silver tips
View Quote

Those were my first SD rounds I used in a carry gun. I started with them around 1990 in a Colt Govt Model 380.  I "performed" some very rudimentary experiments by shooting various rounds into gelatinous mud in a creek bank and then digging out the rounds.  The STs expanded well and penetrated about 10".
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#23]
I remember this ^^^ well because those were also the only HPs that would function in that Colt.  

Funny to look back on that nickle plated (with white plastic grips no less) Colt POS compared to all of the wonder-micro 9mm today.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#24]

*photo courtesy of the interwebs

Surprised I didn't turn out to be a pimp.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top