Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/3/2024 8:52:04 AM EDT
A friend has offered this to me. I have never even heard about this 1911 before. A little help would be appreciated.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:05:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Japanese prop pistol?
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:05:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#3]
That’s really cool!
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:32:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thebert] [#4]
never mind
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TNVC_Augee:
Never seen or heard of that one before, but it looks like a blank firing replica gun.

https://www.jbmilitaryantiques.com.au/product/japanese-blank-firing-pistol-colt-1911/

~Augee
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:22:49 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like one of the blow back 1911’s from Collectors Armory.

The cartridges are three pieces if I remember correctly.  The case is threaded in two pieces and a cap sat on the primer in the bottom of the case.  The firing pin is in the barrel. The hammer pushes the primer which pushes the cap into the firing pin.  The gun goes off with enough energy to cycle the action, feeding another round into the chamber.  

I have a blow back copy of a S&W Model 76 submachine gun.  And I knew a guy with an Uzi.  Neither was reliable.  I was lucky to get a couple shots off in semi before it jammed.  Forget full auto.  The caps were dirty and might have been corrosive.  

I am shocked they go for that much money.  You can’t find caps or the cartridges anywhere now.  I only got five or six with the gun which made you buy more if you wanted to fill the mag.

I would sell it and get the real thing.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 7:37:56 PM EDT
[#7]
I had the combat master 1911 blank gun. Once I figured out who to load the caps its worked perfectly fine. When I got down to the last few caps I tried "helping" them out with a little powder from a 22. Well as was said the firing pin was in the barrel, and after what I did I mean "was" in the barrel. It flew about 10 feet.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 8:56:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#8]
Realistic-looking Japanese toy guns have rich history in Asia and around the world. In Japan, they actually have all sorts of periodicals/magazines for toy guns like we have gun magazines published monthly.

Hollywood was known to use Japanese prop guns in the last century as non-lethal solution for safety concern. The most visible examples are in the movie "Full Metal Jacket". M16 metal props from MGC Japan were widely use for non-shooting scenes. Also even Navy Seal used prop gun in one of the well published photo.

Navy Seal

FMJ movie

I have a couple of those prop 1911 made by MGC Japan. Not metal, but heavy weight plastic (metal content mixed in the plastic). Yes, those can fire cap cartridge and ejecting brass cartridge specially made for cap guns. I use those as display models without the risk of leaving real guns unattended.

Air Force GAU-5/A prop

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks everyone for the history on these type firearms.
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 9:10:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#10]
Here’s one I didn’t know existed.

Para 14.45 DA. A double stack DOUBLE ACTION ONLY swivel trigger 1911.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:26:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:  Here’s one I didn’t know existed.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/71141/IMG_4500_png-3178460.JPG
View Quote

They started in Canada, moved to the US, got bought out by somebody, Sarco still have some parts.  They invented the doublestack .45 and you'd never heard of em?
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

They started in Canada, moved to the US, got bought out by somebody, Sarco still have some parts.  They invented the doublestack .45 and you'd never heard of em?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Remington is who bought them. Think he's pointing out the LDA as the oddity which it definitely was.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 10:50:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:

Remington is who bought them. Think he's pointing out the LDA as the oddity which it definitely was.
View All Quotes

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

I’ve never heard of a DAO Swivel trigger 1911. Until yesterday.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:02:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Extremely informative thread.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:19:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

View All Quotes

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

Have you ever heard of the Colt Double Eagle?
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:35:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

I have HEARD or read the name l, never saw one in person or was told it was similar to that Para.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:19:38 PM EDT
[#18]

I have HEARD or read the name l, never saw one in person or was told it was similar to that Para.
View All Quotes

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

It's a Colt decocking DA/SA 1911 single stack.  I think I've seen one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 10:28:26 PM EDT
[#19]

View All Quotes

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

Looks like a Colt version of the S&W GenIII
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 10:45:24 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

It's not like the Para. LDA stands for Light Double Action and it was very light compared to traditional DA which is what the Double Eagle was from what I remember. I remember thinking the LDA was like the HK LEM. It was made for the people that are against carrying cocked and locked or prohibited by policy from doing so. Never really caught on.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:23:38 AM EDT
[#21]

It's not like the Para. LDA stands for Light Double Action and it was very light compared to traditional DA which is what the Double Eagle was from what I remember. I remember thinking the LDA was like the HK LEM. It was made for the people that are against carrying cocked and locked or prohibited by policy from doing so. Never really caught on.
View All Quotes

My friend just bought one. He loves it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:29:08 PM EDT
[#22]

Thank you.

I know who Para is.

View Quote

I had a LDA.  The trigger pull felt weird and I was always worried it was going to break.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 4:29:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#23]

View Quote

I had one of these also.  I bought it at a huge semi-local-to-me gun store around 1993.  It looked and felt like a "pre production" gun ... not refined but getting there.  It had that "mock up" vibe that is common during the development of a design.  Stated another way, it reminded me of those war-time Japanese clone/copies of US rifles.  They "sort of" looked like they weren't designed by a fourth grader and assembled out of parts bought at a local DIY shop ... but sort of did too.

Since I'm a glutton for punishment, I bought a Colt Poly (DA 380ACP) about five years later.

ETA: my Double Eagle was 10mm ... not 45ACP.  It was also incredibly unreliable.  I had a miserable time selling it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top