Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 45
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fordtough25] [#1]
How do you guys like brass bead front sights? I want to change the front sight out on my kimber and it would be a solid upgrade I think .

The grey factory front sight is functional but a brass bead should pop nicely and be much faster to pick up?
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Started my daughter with a Browning Buckmark rifle at an early age.
She loved it then, and still does.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:14:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:23:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Shot the Guardian today after the new sights and springs.
Is it possible for a 9mm 1911 to shoot any softer, because it sure felt that was the case today.

The new sights were dead on at 25, and about an inch to an and a half high at 15.
Dead centered, no left or right.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 4:43:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
I never had one, but in Elmer Keith's book he says that the bead looks different depending upon the sunlight and he doesn't recommend them.
View Quote

Thanks that’s what I need to hear.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:
How do you guys like brass bead front sights? I want to change the front sight out on my kimber and it would be a solid upgrade I think .

The grey factory front sight is functional but a brass bead should pop nicely and be much faster to pick up?
View Quote
I have a gold bead on a Beretta I got from @03RN.
Very functional, better than brass in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:05:18 PM EDT
[#7]
I never had one, but in Elmer Keith's book he says that the bead looks different depending upon the sunlight and he doesn't recommend them.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

If I can't have tritium I want a gold bead. If I want a gun for long term shtf use I want a gold bead.

I'm probably going to do a gold bead on my loaded when I finally get around to it
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:07:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By m4nut:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By m4nut:

That one's even a tad off center. Unless it was pitch black it was picking up some light. I wish I saved where I got that insert. It was like $90 but worked really well.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:09:56 PM EDT
[#9]
It is, but really doesn't effect aiming it.
No worse than a huge fiber.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:40:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

If I can't have tritium I want a gold bead. If I want a gun for long term shtf use I want a gold bead.

I'm probably going to do a gold bead on my loaded when I finally get around to it
View Quote

I've had brass and gold bead sights. The gold bead is what you want the brass bead to be but isn't.

My Alchemy has a gold bead. 11/10 would order again.
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 5:56:00 PM EDT
[#12]
See, now that guys that have used them show up, you get a better opinion
View Quote

Indeed, sounds like I want a gold bead. Off to look at options
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 11:24:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I love gold bead front sights, probably an even tie with tritium for me.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 5:36:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Not bad, $95 so prices have remained fairly consistent !

https://www.heinie.com/kimber-1911-serrated-cross-dovetail-gold-bead-front-sight.html
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Not bad, $95 so prices have remained fairly consistent !

https://www.heinie.com/kimber-1911-serrated-cross-dovetail-gold-bead-front-sight.html
View Quote

I didn't realize how much I liked the Harrison gold bead on my Baer until I shot a 1911 in the same conditions without one. It grabs light like a FO but not as glaring. Plus it looks cool which is 87% of shooting
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:34:11 AM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

I have a gold bead on this Hackathorne Special. I like it quite a bit. Absolutely more durable than the plastic fiber optic style.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#17]

I have been carrying and competeing with this lately.....Wilson CQB. Love it, love the RMR.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 8:13:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

I didn't realize how much I liked the Harrison gold bead on my Baer until I shot a 1911 in the same conditions without one. It grabs light like a FO but not as glaring. Plus it looks cool which is 87% of shooting
View Quote

I wonder how much difference there is between the Harrison and Heine gold bead front sights?
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:55:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4nut] [#19]
I have been lusting after a 2011, but my purse-strings are definitely too short to afford the big boys toys.
Looked at RIA, the Prodigy, and the Tisas.

I went Tisas because:
+ I found one for $634.00
+Read 10,000 reviews about overall Tisas quality.
No MIM.
Even with a cheap dot, I was able to land it for less than a grand.

The double-stack 9mm they offer, the BR9, is where I settled.
Shot for the first time yesterday, in the small window of time I had between my honey-doo list. 75 rounds, zero issues.
Passed the 10-8 extractor test.
Shot to POA with the factory sights, tho I did paint the white-front-dot neon orange.

More mags, depending on who's I purchase, start at about $40.00 for Prodigy mags, and Atlas are 2x that amount.

The Tisas is cut for the RMS-c pattern, and as of yesterday, no plates are available. Wasn't gonna put a $500+ RMRcc on a $600 buck gun, so I went Vortex:
Specifically the Vortex Defender CCW, which I acquired from Euro-optic for $225. It was easy to mount, came with multiple sets of lock-tite covered screws for different weapons, a cover, and the adjusting tool. Top mounted battery as well!  I went 6moa to mimic my RMRcc on my carry gun.
Once sighted, it shot great, and for a cheap dot, it functioned well. Time will tell about it's durability.

What am I going to do with it? Well, I shoot in a local outlaw match, thought I'd try it there.  Other than that, ummm, don't know...

It is NOT your svelte single stack 1911 by any means, and I'm not sure I like that or not. It is/was accurate and reliable for my 75 round litmus test. Time will tell if I grow fonder of it. It's fun and all, but not anything like my RO Elite or my Guardian.

20 yard accuracy. The left side was dialed in.
Attachment Attached File

50 yard accuracy:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 2:44:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PAESAN] [#20]
I’ll take it a step further and say that I prefer a good gold bead over any other front sight (including fiber or tritium), especially on a quality 1911. The one on my Classic shines with the light of thousand suns.

(Not to get off topic, but as I’ve bitched about before, the new style Vickers’ Glock version is brutal because they dulled the front of it but not the sides, which entirely defeats its purpose. The first the time I had one installed, I thought it was a dud. Vickers CS told me that the original ones — the ones that were used on the Vickers RTF2 19s/17s — were “determined to be too bright and distracting.” )
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:53:49 AM EDT
[#21]
First shot at 7 yards I kid you not!!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Working remote today..
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Back in hand. It’s really well fit. Might need to break it out for some OC

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#24]
Another random day walkin' the doggo.

Page / 45
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top