Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 45
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
@03RN Nice grips on that Springer. Looks like that one has had lots of good use. I've never tried to stake a plunger tube. I'm surprised they don't come loose more often than they do.

@Fordtough25 Nice shooting! You need to try a Dot Torture next. It's a great drill to practice with.

@SLAPPYROOTZ I am not responsible for anyone purchasing a 1911 after reading this. I do not advise reading anything gun related online, all it will do is fill you with desire, but since you're here, you should want another 1911

@Glck1911 Welcome! Post up that ACW! We'd love to see it!
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By x_red_beard_x:
@03RN Nice grips on that Springer. Looks like that one has had lots of good use. I've never tried to stake a plunger tube. I'm surprised they don't come loose more often than they do.

@Fordtough25 Nice shooting! You need to try a Dot Torture next. It's a great drill to practice with.

@SLAPPYROOTZ I am not responsible for anyone purchasing a 1911 after reading this. I do not advise reading anything gun related online, all it will do is fill you with desire, but since you're here, you should want another 1911

@Glck1911 Welcome! Post up that ACW! We'd love to see it!
View Quote
@x_red_beard_x   Oh I know it, I've used it before with Glocks and I agree it's superb. Along with El Presidente, that drill woke me up. Try drawing with your non dominant hand and test your gear, I changed my holster a few times early on training for fails like that, and I found out quick the internet isn't always right! Lol
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:
Millennial checking in with my first post here. I’ve had my ACW Classic Carry for about 3 weeks now and have been carrying it everyday. My other daily is a Glock 19. I Enjoy the 1911 so much more that Glock has been given backup duty.
View Quote
that's a hell of a first post! details man, ACW is about the only gun I imagine would be much nicer than a Baer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:34:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

that's a hell of a first post! details man, ACW is about the only gun I imagine would be much nicer than a Baer.
View Quote
I like to make an entrance.

I've never owned a Baer so can't say if the ACW is nicer or not, but it is freaking awesome.  I'll see if I can figure out this picture thing.
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 10:38:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

To add to my favorite thread, although Im not a millennial (41) I think I have some "older" tenancies as well. My foray into the 1911 began with my dads Series 70 Satin Commander that he rarely shoots anymore because "its lost its reliability." I'm leaning towards the fact that he hasnt cleaned it since before I joined the USAF in 1996. He will shoot some 3-n-1 in it occasionally however.

I retired from AD in 2015 and wanted something nicer than I deserved and 4 years later the internet led me to Dan Wessons' door. I wanted (and will have) a TRS Baer but the Vigil was in the case and checked all the boxes for a 1911-5" and 45 albeit I strayed with the alloy frame a bit, but I wanted to carry it.
I bought this DW last year and being a prior unit armorer (Beretta and Glock) I knew zilch about the 1911 platform. I loved it from the get-go but it wouldnt run full magazine for anything, so I called DW. Long story short, a 9 day turn around and I have a 1911 that will cycle anything, literally.

So here I am, a Glock/Beretta guy (I still carry my G26 most days) that really enjoys the way a 1911 carries. It's slim, light enough and I dont feel the capacity is a hindrance.

My biggest obstacle right now is the trigger, 4lbs and zero creep. I still want to "pull to the wall" before the trigger breaks, so I have crotch shot a few B27s I'm getting there though and I have no issue carrying the DW one day and a G26 the next.

I really like shooting this thing though, 2200 rounds in 10 months. I've also found myself buying more hammer fired pistols lately. The 75B-SA is a wet dream to shoot, but I digress.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By samsgreen50:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361390/20200215_150308_jpg-1304938.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361390/20190831_154711_jpg-1304958.JPG

To add to my favorite thread, although Im not a millennial (41) I think I have some "older" tenancies as well.

So here I am, a Glock/Beretta guy (I still carry my G26 most days) that really enjoys the way a 1911 carries. It's slim, light enough and I dont feel the capacity is a hindrance.

My biggest obstacle right now is the trigger, 4lbs and zero creep. I still want to "pull to the wall" before the trigger breaks, so I have crotch shot a few B27s I'm getting there though and I have no issue carrying the DW one day and a G26 the next.

I really like shooting this thing though, 2200 rounds in 10 months. I've also found myself buying more hammer fired pistols lately. The 75B-SA is a wet dream to shoot, but I digress.
View Quote
Same here with the Beretta/Glock love.  Can’t help but love the slim profile of a 1911 after a few years carrying those.  Hammer fired guns really do have a charm all their own.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 8:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By samsgreen50:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361390/20200215_150308_jpg-1304938.JPGhttps://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/361390/20190831_154711_jpg-1304958.JPG

To add to my favorite thread, although Im not a millennial (41) I think I have some "older" tenancies as well. My foray into the 1911 began with my dads Series 70 Satin Commander that he rarely shoots anymore because "its lost its reliability." I'm leaning towards the fact that he hasnt cleaned it since before I joined the USAF in 1996. He will shoot some 3-n-1 in it occasionally however.

I retired from AD in 2015 and wanted something nicer than I deserved and 4 years later the internet led me to Dan Wessons' door. I wanted (and will have) a TRS Baer but the Vigil was in the case and checked all the boxes for a 1911-5" and 45 albeit I strayed with the alloy frame a bit, but I wanted to carry it.
I bought this DW last year and being a prior unit armorer (Beretta and Glock) I knew zilch about the 1911 platform. I loved it from the get-go but it wouldnt run full magazine for anything, so I called DW. Long story short, a 9 day turn around and I have a 1911 that will cycle anything, literally.

View Quote
compare single action triggers on al of these please?

very interested in that concept
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 9:52:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By togadelic:

compare single action triggers on al of these please?

very interested in that concept
View Quote
Sure, with the 92 being stock and not even a D spring you can throw it out.

The CZ is a CGW carry package, I honestly cant put into words how good that trigger is. Imagine a glass toothpick set at 3.00lbs. I could literally type-then delete-then re-type trying to describe the CGW trigger and I doubt I would do it justice, its THAT good. I installed their kit, I believe it was ~$250 (not quite sure) but it's worth double of whatever they are priced at.

The DW is on par with the finest guns I've ever shot (sans that one ^^^) its fantastic, and I believe a perfect mix of bullseye and EDC. Roughly 4.4lbs and just a hint of pre-travel. Not a hard, loud reset like a Glock buts its there and I like it. I wouldnt change a single thing about it.

The CZ and the DW are my absolute favorite to shoot, subsequently I shoot both as often as possible. I never in my life envisioned myself a hammer fired guy, yet here I am espousing the virtues of the hammer life.
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Finally got a chance to snap a pic of my stainless Commander today. Tomorrow, I’m headed to the range with my brothers in law to go bust a few rounds out and have some fun.

I had forgotten how comfortable this old girl was to carry all day, especially compared to my M9A3.

Link Posted: 3/8/2020 12:34:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By samuse:
Decent belt and holster is necessary.
View Quote
This. I carried one for over two decades. I carry a SIG 365XL now. I however, would have zero issue going back.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, shoot. My war face is frowning pretty hard right now, because my favorite EDC piece just busted its ejector yesterday after one mag full.

I shot one ten round string, all in the zone at seven yards, and was getting ready to shoot again when I noticed my slide wouldn’t go forward anymore.

I had to pull the mag out, and the slide wouldn’t budge until I smacked the back end with the heel of my hand. Once I got it moving again, I disassembled it and beheld the ejector sticking out at an odd angle, and a crack underneath the nose.

Damn.

I’ve had this pistol for several years, and it’s been entirely trouble free until now. I’m gonna contact Colt and see if they can put another ejector in and I’m gonna do a little detective work to figure out how the ejector broke to begin with.

Link Posted: 3/9/2020 3:02:27 PM EDT
[#12]
There’s always a silver lining, though: Now I’m carrying my Concealed Carry Government, and rediscovering how awesome a pistol this one is.

Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By doubleclaw:
Well, shoot. My war face is frowning pretty hard right now, because my favorite EDC piece just busted its ejector yesterday after one mag full.

I shot one ten round string, all in the zone at seven yards, and was getting ready to shoot again when I noticed my slide wouldn’t go forward anymore.

I had to pull the mag out, and the slide wouldn’t budge until I smacked the back end with the heel of my hand. Once I got it moving again, I disassembled it and beheld the ejector sticking out at an odd angle, and a crack underneath the nose.

Damn.

I’ve had this pistol for several years, and it’s been entirely trouble free until now. I’m gonna contact Colt and see if they can put another ejector in and I’m gonna do a little detective work to figure out how the ejector broke to begin with.

https://i.imgur.com/3ODlCvg.jpg

get a new one?

they don't seem toooooo hard to replace

(I haven't done it yet)

https://i.imgur.com/B1xj1Kh.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 4:33:21 PM EDT
[#14]

I shot one ten round string, all in the zone at seven yards, and was getting ready to shoot again when I noticed my slide wouldn't go forward anymore.

I had to pull the mag out, and the slide wouldn't budge until I smacked the back end with the heel of my hand. Once I got it moving again, I disassembled it and beheld the ejector sticking out at an odd angle, and a crack underneath the nose.

Damn.

I've had this pistol for several years, and it's been entirely trouble free until now. I'm gonna contact Colt and see if they can put another ejector in and I'm gonna do a little detective work to figure out how the ejector broke to begin with.

https://i.imgur.com/3ODlCvg.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/B1xj1Kh.jpg
View Quote
Replace the ejector yourself. It's really quite easy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:45:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JasonBurton:

I would be curious to know if the magazine was impacting the extractor, like when doing a slide lock reload.
View Quote
That's a good question. My Wilson ETM's have dinged the underside of the ejectors in my Dan Wesson 9mm 1911's. The ejector noses are very short, though, so it hasn't caused me any issues.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
Replace the ejector yourself. It's really quite easy.
View Quote
Considering it, but if Colt will send me an RMA, I won’t say no to having them do it for me.

Time is a bit of a factor because I’m rotating back to Afghanistan in a matter of days.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 5:48:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JasonBurton:

I would be curious to know if the magazine was impacting the extractor, like when doing a slide lock reload.
View Quote
That was my guess. Will be taking some time to explore that when I rotate back home again.

As for right now, I’m gonna clean it up, put it back in the safe and let it keep til I get home again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 7:14:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Bummer bro.

I just replaced my plunger tube. Felt good to do it myself. Going back to afg does complicating it though.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 8:07:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Considering it, but if Colt will send me an RMA, I won’t say no to having them do it for me.

Time is a bit of a factor because I’m rotating back to Afghanistan in a matter of days.
View Quote
thank you for your service
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 7:06:20 AM EDT
[#21]
@samsgreen50 I struggle with the 1911 triggers greatly. One day, I’ll fall in love with them. Other days, it’s all crotch shots. It really just depends. I’ve got my Glock trigger down and it’s always the same. I struggle with the ultra-lightweight trigger with zero creep a lot. I keep considering getting a new mainspring for the Baer just to get some more trigger pull.

@doubleclaw Dang! Hopefully Colt will take care of that for you. I’ve been highly considering Colt as my next pistol, but I completely realize their machining tolerances are much greater than other manufacturers. I still like them because that’s what I grew up shooting. Keep me updated to see what Colt says. I don’t know anyone who’s had to deal with Colt Customer Service. Thanks for your Service, you’re doing what I didn’t do. I appreciate that. Keep us updated.

Last night the dog and I went for a ruck in the woods. The ol 1911 came along for comfort. I’ve been working on trying to get in better shape and one of my favorite things to do it to backpack with steel weights. If you don’t overdo it, it’s really a decent exercise that doesn’t destroy your knees like running. I’m 29 years old, 6ft 5in, 250lbs. I hate running, but I try to run on the treadmill a couple times per week. Anyhow I packed a 40lb plate of steel in my GoRuck GR1 with some water and first aid. I also have my Hill People Gear Runners kit bag with me. I love this little chest rig and I’d highly suggest it to anyone that wants to hike and carry a firearm discreetly. The 1911 fits great in the HPG kit bag and carries nice and tight up against the chest. It doesn’t flop around at all. My German Shepard loved to get out and so did I.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:43:14 AM EDT
[#22]
@samsgreen50 I struggle with the 1911 triggers greatly. One day, I’ll fall in love with them. Other days, it’s all crotch shots. It really just depends. I’ve got my Glock trigger down and it’s always the same. I struggle with the ultra-lightweight trigger with zero creep a lot. I keep considering getting a new mainspring for the Baer just to get some more trigger pull.

@doubleclaw Dang! Hopefully Colt will take care of that for you. I’ve been highly considering Colt as my next pistol, but I completely realize their machining tolerances are much greater than other manufacturers. I still like them because that’s what I grew up shooting. Keep me updated to see what Colt says. I don’t know anyone who’s had to deal with Colt Customer Service. Thanks for your Service, you’re doing what I didn’t do. I appreciate that. Keep us updated.

Last night the dog and I went for a ruck in the woods. The ol 1911 came along for comfort. I’ve been working on trying to get in better shape and one of my favorite things to do it to backpack with steel weights. If you don’t overdo it, it’s really a decent exercise that doesn’t destroy your knees like running. I’m 29 years old, 6ft 5in, 250lbs. I hate running, but I try to run on the treadmill a couple times per week. Anyhow I packed a 40lb plate of steel in my GoRuck GR1 with some water and first aid. I also have my Hill People Gear Runners kit bag with me. I love this little chest rig and I’d highly suggest it to anyone that wants to hike and carry a firearm discreetly. The 1911 fits great in the HPG kit bag and carries nice and tight up against the chest. It doesn’t flop around at all. My German Shepard loved to get out and so did I.

https://i.imgur.com/IgyuzQR.jpg

I have run into this a bit

I grew up on glocks

the more I shoot 1911's  the better it gets and it isn't anywhere close

https://i.imgur.com/Blkx9Wb.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8t7viwl.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#23]
I like that chest bag. Off to spend more money.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Pic off dog?
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Found my Milt Sparks VersaMax II in the storage unit.  Much happy. Very IWB.

Link Posted: 3/10/2020 8:52:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Old_Fashioned] [#26]
Thread is still going strong, love it! That Baer looks great.

@doubleclaw

What’s the story on the conceal carry government? Seems like a nice gun!

I’m going to be switching my mammoth ivory to my Gunsite shortly and that gun seems comparable. I’ll need to get some new pictures.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 9:07:04 PM EDT
[#27]
@JPD158

It was a limited production piece that Colt came out with several years ago, and it sold out fairly quickly, as I recall. I which they’d bring it back and tweak it a little like the Wiley Clapp guns, and make it a regular catalog item.

I liked mine so much I wrote a review about it:

https://www.guns.com/news/review/gun-review-colts-ccg-makes-a-great-mid-sized-carry-piece

Of course, now I read my old copy and immediately go after it with a fine toothed comb, but for the time I don’t think it was too bad.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 12:05:11 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, I’m in love with your 1911. And photography.

Rucking is fantastic for staying in shape and being able to move long distance with kit if you ever need to. I ruck 2-3 times a week and I’m 38. 6’3” 205. Been doing it since I got out of the army. Old habits die hard. And I use the same Hill People Gear to hold my cell phone, dog poop bags and a pistol

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:29:01 AM EDT
[#29]
@03RN Here's a good picture of Hunter! He loves going on walks with me. He's a mix of a German Shepard and barnyard mutt. I'll try to snag a few more pictures next time we go for a walk.

@ChandlerKJ Thanks man! I appreciate that. I really like the HPG stuff. I have a pocket, but I want to get one of their packs. I just don't hike enough to warrant a dedicated multi-day hiking pack.

Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Nice pup

I miss having a real dog. I put my hound down 3 years ago. We have 1 14 year old Pomeranian left who drives me crazy.

I figure in a few years he'll be gone and we'll all be ready to raise a new pup. I want my son to take some ownership and responsibility with him so it'll be good timing. I think learning how to train a dog and take care of one imperative in raising warriors.

I really want an hpg fanny pack but they're sooo expensive for something just while im running.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#31]
My walking partner.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:53:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Mine, she’s a hoot! Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:39:31 PM EDT
[#33]
One is a pain in the butt.
Attachment Attached File

I wish my hound was around. He was an awesome dog and would have been great with my son.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd be perfectly happy if we turn this from a 1911 thread to a dog thread haha

Now, back to 1911s. Someone else post their Dot Torture target. I hope to be able to practice again this evening. I'll post my results.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 8:07:41 AM EDT
[#35]
I'd be perfectly happy if we turn this from a 1911 thread to a dog thread haha

https://i.imgur.com/SkOXQVt.jpg

Now, back to 1911s. Someone else post their Dot Torture target. I hope to be able to practice again this evening. I'll post my results.
View Quote
I need to print one off today and I will give it a run! And I spy a kalishnakov peeking out!
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 5:34:17 PM EDT
[#36]
What’s the dot torture target again? I have some range time upcoming
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Im pleasantly surprised with my dcc clips on my bawidaman gotham. Very comfy.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 9:38:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:23:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: x_red_beard_x] [#39]
@Fordtough25 Yes sir! My old Arsenal SLR-106F in 5.56. It’s a beast and runs great. I took a local urban rifle class with it and it performed wonderfully. Not a single hiccup. It was the gun that finally convinced me that I love AKs. However, trying to get into the night vision game, I’ve gone back to ARs. Kinda like my 1911 story, I like to focus on one platform for a while to become somewhat competent with it.

@JPD158 The dot torture is a great 50 round drill that focuses on accuracy over multiple drills. You can find the PDF Here . I find it to be one of the best comprehensive training aids I’ve ever used. Passing the Dot Torture target (zero misses) is a critical step in being proficient in a handgun. It’s not easy to do. Especially at 5 yards. I can very regularly pass it with my Glocks, but I’ve been struggling with my 1911. I believe it is because I am struggling to deal with the trigger. I’m just not used to it. I just gotta keep practicing.

Here’s my cold bore results from yesterday. Again, not great. I installed a 20# mainspring, but it didn’t help. I think I’m going to first bend the sear spring and if that doesn’t work, I’ll order a 23# mainspring and try it.

I threw a few flyers trying to go faster. I knew it when I pulled the shots, which I'm okay with, but I still missed. My transitions and my weak hand shooting has a lot of room for improvement. For some reason, as soon as I start to push the speed, I fall apart with my trigger pull. You can clearly see that here:

Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:37:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4arc] [#40]
@Fordtough25 Yes sir! My old Arsenal SLR-106F in 5.56. It’s a beast and runs great. I took a local urban rifle class with it and it performed wonderfully. Not a single hiccup. It was the gun that finally convinced me that I love AKs. However, trying to get into the night vision game, I’ve gone back to ARs. Kinda like my 1911 story, I like to focus on one platform for a while to become somewhat competent with it.

@JPD158 The dot torture is a great 50 round drill that focuses on accuracy over multiple drills. You can find the PDF Here . I find it to be one of the best comprehensive training aids I’ve ever used. Passing the Dot Torture target (zero misses) is a critical step in being proficient in a handgun. It’s not easy to do. Especially at 5 yards. I can very regularly pass it with my Glocks, but I’ve been struggling with my 1911. I believe it is because I am struggling to deal with the trigger. I’m just not used to it. I just gotta keep practicing.

Here’s my cold bore results from yesterday. Again, not great. I installed a 20# mainspring, but it didn’t help. I think I’m going to first bend the sear spring and if that doesn’t work, I’ll order a 23# mainspring and try it.

I threw a few flyers trying to go faster. I knew it when I pulled the shots, which I'm okay with, but I still missed. My transitions and my weak hand shooting has a lot of room for improvement. For some reason, as soon as I start to push the speed, I fall apart with my trigger pull. You can clearly see that here:

https://i.imgur.com/KOt09wG.jpg
View Quote
I might have missed it earlier but what problem are you trying to solve?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:55:54 AM EDT
[#41]
@M4arc My trigger pull is very light. I haven't put it on a trigger scale yet, but the second I feel a wall, it breaks. I'd prefer to have a heavier trigger pull and try to see how my results look. I know it's counter-intuitive, but it's just a test I'd like to try.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 5:19:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Thanks for the link! I’ve always felt 4.5lbs is a good trigger weight for a defensive 1911. You think yours in lighter?
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 9:03:45 PM EDT
[#43]
I understand the too-lite feel.  That’s one reason I ended up happy with the SR1911’s series 70 trigger.  Its 4-5 pound trigger is predictable and deliberate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#44]
@M4arc My trigger pull is very light. I haven't put it on a trigger scale yet, but the second I feel a wall, it breaks. I'd prefer to have a heavier trigger pull and try to see how my results look. I know it's counter-intuitive, but it's just a test I'd like to try.
View Quote
Gotcha and I wish I could help with that one but that is beyond my 1911 knowledge.

Someone on here has to know though.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:46:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve88GT] [#45]
Gen X'er checking in.

I have my Colt set at 4lbs.  I couldn't decide to go with a 5lb pull or under 4. So I split the difference and stuck with 4. I carry it all the time so I didn't want to go to light.

It's a newer Series 80 1991 in polished blue. I like a basic carry gun that looks more stock. Chuck Jones in Rochester Hills, MI worked his magic on her. She's my sleeper.

And I swear the Accurails cut recoil down compared to my all stock '69 Colt. There is no slop at all with the rails. The slide moves back and forth perfectly. There is zero side to side or up and down play in the slide.

Accurailed, trigger job, match bushing, aluminum short trigger, Wilson safety, Harrison rear sight, dovetailed tritium white outline front sight, Ed Brown flat mainspring housing and the 4 lb trigger job.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#46]
@steve88GT Looks great man! I love those Colts.

I stumbled among a a sensible quote for us to ponder. C. S. Lewis’s words—written 72 years ago—ring with some relevance for us. Just replace “atomic bomb” with “coronavirus.”

In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. “How are we to live in an atomic age?” I am tempted to reply: “Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.”

In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.

This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? PS 27:1

That being said, I did some more shooting last night. Here's my chopped Glock 19 that I have carried for 10 years. From when I was 18 to 28. It's had a rough life and many, many, many thousands of rounds ran through it. I love carrying it in the summer, but when I wear jackets or button up shirts, I can get by with a full size pistol, hence the 1911.

I think you can tell I like my HD sights

Link Posted: 3/17/2020 12:39:19 PM EDT
[#47]
I love threads like these. Good conversation and awesome 1911's.

Steve
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 5:06:25 PM EDT
[#48]
@steve88GT Looks great man! I love those Colts.

I stumbled among a a sensible quote for us to ponder. C. S. Lewis’s words—written 72 years ago—ring with some relevance for us. Just replace “atomic bomb” with “coronavirus.”

In one way we think a great deal too much of the atomic bomb. “How are we to live in an atomic age?” I am tempted to reply: “Why, as you would have lived in the sixteenth century when the plague visited London almost every year, or as you would have lived in a Viking age when raiders from Scandinavia might land and cut your throat any night; or indeed, as you are already living in an age of cancer, an age of syphilis, an age of paralysis, an age of air raids, an age of railway accidents, an age of motor accidents.”

In other words, do not let us begin by exaggerating the novelty of our situation. Believe me, dear sir or madam, you and all whom you love were already sentenced to death before the atomic bomb was invented: and quite a high percentage of us were going to die in unpleasant ways. We had, indeed, one very great advantage over our ancestors—anesthetics; but we have that still. It is perfectly ridiculous to go about whimpering and drawing long faces because the scientists have added one more chance of painful and premature death to a world which already bristled with such chances and in which death itself was not a chance at all, but a certainty.

This is the first point to be made: and the first action to be taken is to pull ourselves together. If we are all going to be destroyed by an atomic bomb, let that bomb when it comes find us doing sensible and human things—praying, working, teaching, reading, listening to music, bathing the children, playing tennis, chatting to our friends over a pint and a game of darts—not huddled together like frightened sheep and thinking about bombs. They may break our bodies (a microbe can do that) but they need not dominate our minds

The Lord is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The Lord is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid? PS 27:1

That being said, I did some more shooting last night. Here's my chopped Glock 19 that I have carried for 10 years. From when I was 18 to 28. It's had a rough life and many, many, many thousands of rounds ran through it. I love carrying it in the summer, but when I wear jackets or button up shirts, I can get by with a full size pistol, hence the 1911.

https://i.imgur.com/6ygiJuN.jpg

I think you can tell I like my HD sights

https://i.imgur.com/ApzGvET.jpg
View Quote
not trying to be a dick here

but what is the point of chopping a g19 and then still using a large size mag for carry?

assume you had a g26 mag to fit for carry, then a  big mag for reload?
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#49]
@togadelic that's far from being a dick. I don't carry it with a 17 round mag. I carry with a 10 round mag and a spare 17. Most of my extra glock mags are all 17 rounders, so when I go out to my range, I just grab a bunch of those.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 6:45:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fordtough25] [#50]
@togadelic that's far from being a dick. I don't carry it with a 17 round mag. I carry with a 10 round mag and a spare 17. Most of my extra glock mags are all 17 rounders, so when I go out to my range, I just grab a bunch of those.
View Quote
I have a chopped 19 that I do the same with! Works great, I haven’t had time to shoot the test yet shew. Loaded my mags back up though so I’m ready at least!
Page / 45
Top Top