Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2023 4:16:20 PM EDT
Just saw some ACT-Mags for sale on CDNN... never heard of these guys.  Since it's CDNN, I'm sure they're 'off' brand, but I'd love details.  Anyone know where these are made and if they're worth a damn?

Looking at some for the Taurus PT92, GREAT old 9mm from the days when Taurus made good stuff from time to time!
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got several for my P320's.

They're just as good as factory.  Only difference I can tell is they're blued versus factory dry film.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 4:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I've used ACT Mags for an M&P. Very good quality and no issues. I bought more.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:40:01 PM EDT
[#3]
They are good to go. I’ve used a bunch in my P220.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Very good to go, they are the OEM mag for a several major popular brands.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I have 5 or 6 for my P220, no issues at all. They don’t feel as high quality as the Sig ones but they do seem to be a quality product.
Link Posted: 10/20/2023 9:49:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The only ones I have had issue with are a few of their 9mm 1911 Mags, but their SIG mags I have used work perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 12:07:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:
I've got several for my P320's.

They're just as good as factory.  Only difference I can tell is they're blued versus factory dry film.
View Quote

The ACT P320 mags are definitely a great value and an affordable way to have more magazines for training when you can’t afford as many $45-$50 SIG factory mags. There’s no noticeable difference in how they function and feed under most circumstances, and they seem to hold up just as well to dropping and rough handling. There’s a good discussion about them here. However, I consider them to be range mags only. Some people have reported issues with them feeding properly after getting sand / dirt in them. One difference from factory mags is that the ACTs have shorter springs, with a couple less coils in them. I could see that maybe being the cause of the reported feeding issues (shorter, weaker spring can’t power through some dirt inside the mag body). I don’t think the springs will be an issue in most cases, but it’s something to keep an eye on and maybe plan to replace them after a few years of use.
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:45:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#8]
Originally Posted By SnaitN:
Anyone know where these are made and if they're worth a damn?
View Quote

The P320 magazines are made in Italy. There’s been a lot of speculation that they’re produced by Mec-Gar, who makes OEM mags for SIG and a lot of other companies. I don’t think anyone’s ever been able to confirm that, but they certainly look almost identical to SIG’s factory P320 mags.

Functionally, they don’t feel any different either. I had one that I thought might have been failing to lock the slide back in my M17, so I marked it with tape for a while. I couldn’t rule out that my grip wasn’t causing it, and the issue sort of went away (so it was probably me).

As I mentioned above, I’m keeping an eye on the springs to make sure they continue to feed reliably, and I continue to use only factory mags for carry, but I definitely recommend the ACTs (for SIGs, at least).
Link Posted: 10/21/2023 10:53:54 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By freddd:
View Quote

+1

they run fine in my M&P 9mm guns
Link Posted: 10/22/2023 3:27:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Used them with great success in CZ pistols, would buy more in future.
Link Posted: 10/24/2023 11:51:17 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I've had some malfs using the M&P Act mags. I think it may have been a combo of questionable ammo and the mags.  However, factory mags did ok with the ammo.

Still decent range mags, but I would not rely on them for SD.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had no issues with ACT mags for Beretta, Sig or M&P, and ACT makes the factory mags for my RIA XT-22m.
At half the price I've got no complaints. As mentioned, good enough for range use.
Since they're made in Italy I've wondered if there's any connection to MecGar as well but ACT 9mm 1911 mags look nothing like my MecGar 9mm 1911 mags so probably not.

Interesting info on the springs, I'll have pull a few and check.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:07:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Used them in my 92 and P220 with great success. Italian made quality.
Link Posted: 2/21/2024 12:19:44 AM EDT
[#14]
ACT-MAG SRL
Via Volta, 83/A
25063 Gardone Val Trompia
[Brescia] Italy

ACT-MAG is about 20 years old and is located just down the road from both the Beretta factory and Mec-Gar's production facility in Gardone Val Trompia.

SIG P220 mags may have been their first product.  I have used their P220 mags for about twenty years and they have been the only reliable and inexpensive alternative to factory mags during that time.  I have also used their S&W M&P mags as long as I remember them being available and with no problems.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 5:09:55 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By gc70:
ACT-MAG SRL
Via Volta, 83/A
25063 Gardone Val Trompia
[Brescia] Italy

ACT-MAG is about 20 years old and is located just down the road from both the Beretta factory and Mec-Gar's production facility in Gardone Val Trompia.

SIG P220 mags may have been their first product.  I have used their P220 mags for about twenty years and they have been the only reliable and inexpensive alternative to factory mags during that time.  I have also used their S&W M&P mags as long as I remember them being available and with no problems.
View Quote

@gc70

I've wondered if they are a sister company to MecGar.
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 3:53:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By peacematu:

@gc70

I've wondered if they are a sister company to MecGar.
View Quote

The About pages for Mec-Gar and ACT-Mag suggest no relationship between the companies.  The three founders of ACT-Mag might have been former Mec-Gar or Beretta employees, but even that is not stated.

To make things even more interesting, all OEM magazines for Beretta double-stack semi-automatic pistols are made by Meccanica Del Sarca S.p.A. , which is a Beretta subsidiary.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 9:14:43 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By gc70:
The About pages for Mec-Gar and ACT-Mag suggest no relationship between the companies.  The three founders of ACT-Mag might have been former Mec-Gar or Beretta employees, but even that is not stated.
View Quote

Thanks for digging into that. I’ve seen that speculation for the last couple years about whether Mec-Gar was making the ACT P320 mags. Sounds like it’s just some friendly(?) competition down the street.

I was mistaken when I said above that the ACT P320 springs are shorter by a couple coils. They are just one coil shorter. Here's a comparison of a new ACT mag and a new SIG Mec-Gar that I posted in a different thread. The designs are slightly different also where the springs transition from skinnier, single stack width loops to double stack width, indicated by the red arrows. The SIG Mec-Gar spring transitions closer to the top, which could reduce the risk of binding in the narrow part of the spring.

Attachment Attached File

If I start to notice any issues with feeding, I’ll replace the springs with OEM springs. I still think they’re excellent mags, and they continue to perform flawlessly in my range sessions, but I haven’t gotten them dirty in outdoor training.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 3:29:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gc70] [#18]
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I was mistaken when I said above that the ACT P320 springs are shorter by a couple coils. They are just one coil shorter. Here's a comparison of a new ACT mag and a new SIG Mec-Gar that I posted in a different thread. The designs are slightly different also where the springs transition from skinnier, single stack width loops to double stack width, indicated by the red arrows. The SIG Mec-Gar spring transitions closer to the top, which could reduce the risk of binding in the narrow part of the spring.

If I start to notice any issues with feeding, I'll replace the springs with OEM springs. I still think they're excellent mags, and they continue to perform flawlessly in my range sessions, but I haven't gotten them dirty in outdoor training.
View Quote
ACT-MAG appears to make their mags with less margins than factory or Mec-Gar mags.  Below is a comparison of 17-round magazines by Beretta (12 coils) and ACT-MAG (9 coils).

Nevertheless, I have never had a problem with an ACT-MAG magazine for a Beretta.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

same here
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top