Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/30/2023 11:22:54 AM EDT
Small window. WAY too big. Enough negative reports to negate the Aimpoint stellar reliability. There's not a pistol on the planet that an ACRO looks good on or makes sense to run.

ACRO is decent for a sub gun, or maybe a lightweight SBR build.

RMR is still king, but possibly about to be dethroned by the RMR HD.

Holosun had me for a bit, but ultimately.... meh.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:49:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#1]
"enough negative reports"?  

How many of those things you think they have sold?

It is a pretty snazzy little optic though, I have a couple on carbines and piggybacked.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:52:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:
"enough negative reports"

How many of those things you think they have sold?
View Quote

Well, enough reports to say I don't have the same faith I have in my T2's anyway. Worth noting I've had a few ACRO's (on B&T sub guns), with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:52:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Did you mean dethroned by the RCR?
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
View Quote

Being able to use the RMR footprint and not have a plate is pretty rad
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:04:46 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

Didn't, but I suppose it's a better direct comparison. For a pistol, the RCR is intriguing but the RMR HD is working out nicely for an offset next to a VCOG, with the circle dot. Plus I prefer the 1 MOA dot vs the 3.25.

I do think the closed emitter concept is a bit overblown. I just had a 6 hour range session in the rain, still no issues with the RMR or RMR HD. Can only think of one time where an exposed emitter actually had a negative effect.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:
Small window. WAY too big. Enough negative reports to negate the Aimpoint stellar reliability. There's not a pistol on the planet that an ACRO looks good on or makes sense to run.

View Quote

Window is fine.  Open both your eyes and no window size is an issue.

My P-1 has been reliable for a couple years, excited to carry the P-2 I've got now.  I haven't seen these vast reports of issues, certainly no more than "muh RMR is flickering and the dot won't stay on."

ACRO would be decent on a sub gun, great idea!

I'm not trying to impress anyone with how it looks, I already got a wife, kids, and all that stuff.

I'm glad you like your RMR!  Choices are great!
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:10:07 PM EDT
[#7]
I think the subjectiveness in the OP warrants a move to GD, to be honest.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:35:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Didn't, but I suppose it's a better direct comparison. For a pistol, the RCR is intriguing but the RMR HD is working out nicely for an offset next to a VCOG, with the circle dot. Plus I prefer the 1 MOA dot vs the 3.25.

I do think the closed emitter concept is a bit overblown. I just had a 6 hour range session in the rain, still no issues with the RMR or RMR HD. Can only think of one time where an exposed emitter actually had a negative effect.
View Quote

How did you get an HD already, I've had one backordered with Europtic since forever
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:48:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By LineOfDeparture:
I think the subjectiveness in the OP warrants a move to GD, to be honest.
View Quote

Subjective, yes. But, ACRO's are too big for a pistol. There's no real benefit.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By SuperStormBryan:

Window is fine.  Open both your eyes and no window size is an issue.

My P-1 has been reliable for a couple years, excited to carry the P-2 I've got now.  I haven't seen these vast reports of issues, certainly no more than "muh RMR is flickering and the dot won't stay on."

ACRO would be decent on a sub gun, great idea!

I'm not trying to impress anyone with how it looks, I already got a wife, kids, and all that stuff.

I'm glad you like your RMR!  Choices are great!
View Quote

I've had at least a dozen RMR's, never one issue. Just gotta turn off the auto brightness.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ScoutH57:

How did you get an HD already, I've had one backordered with Europtic since forever
View Quote

I just kept an eye out, T Rex had em a couple weeks ago so I bought 2.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 12:57:21 PM EDT
[#12]
All 3 P-2s I have on glocks seem to be doing just fine, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 1:06:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By trio:
All 3 P-2s I have on glocks seem to be doing just fine, thanks.
View Quote

Oh they'll do just fine. I remember when I threw my ACRO on a G17 a few years ago, I pointed at it and laughed, then proceeded to put it back on my B&T sub gun.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#14]
The Acro is a fantastic pistol optic. It's not pretty, but functional. It's a little larger than the RMR, which impacts concealment in some situations. However for a duty optic (uniformed LE), it's just about perfect especially when paired with one of the OEM milled slide options (M&P Acro, Glock MOS7) as it's easily mounted and serviced. Window size is a non-issue with training (it's about the same as the RMR anyway).
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 4:42:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Cool story OP.

Acro is fine. Hell, I run a Steiner (Acro footprint) without a plate or adapter. I rather like it. Doesn't bother my pistol int he slightest.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 6:58:55 PM EDT
[#16]
OP thinks something is dumb, so we all should.  

K

The manufacturer says it's a handgun optic, so I'd probably believe them.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 7:03:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Just one person's opinion
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Cool. I'll try it out and see for myself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2023 9:30:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#20]
FWIW, I just bought a P2 in the EE. I mounted it on my P10F with a new battery, turned it on, and then activated the slide release to release the slide during a function check. The optic proceeded to flicker and then die. I couldn't turn it back on unless I opened the battery door and reseated the battery. I'd repeat the slide release operation and it'd flicker and die again.

This is a sample size of one, and I have another P2 on the way, but I'm hoping I got a dud and this issue isn't endemic to the optic platform. I honestly love the way it looks and I had no problems with the window or size of the optic while it was working.
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:08:33 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm about to be issued a P2 so I get to see what's the what whether I want to or not.  (I actually am super excited about it)
Link Posted: 11/3/2023 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Window size doesn't really matter if you use it like you should.

Sure, it's a little big on a handgun, but it works just fine for me.

Not sure why all the hate for enclosed optics all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 3:10:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PRYDE] [#23]
Originally Posted By cdholmes:
Window size doesn't really matter if you use it like you should.

View Quote

This is true for rifles but absolutely false for pistols. There are numerous reasons why having a big window is a major advantage for slide mounted RDS.  For example, not losing your dot in recoil or finding your dot quickly on a bad draw or sloppy index.

For a rifle RDS, you are indexed onto the gun with your cheek and there is little muzzle flip so these two things are a non issue.

There is an obvious reason why all sport pistol competitors prefer large windows on their dots.  How many USPSA GMs are running Acros?
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 8:08:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By PRYDE:

This is true for rifles but absolutely false for pistols. There are numerous reasons why having a big window is a major advantage for slide mounted RDS.  For example, not losing your dot in recoil or finding your dot quickly on a bad draw or sloppy index.

For a rifle RDS, you are indexed onto the gun with your cheek and there is little muzzle flip so these two things are a non issue.

There is an obvious reason why all sport pistol competitors prefer large windows on their dots.  How many USPSA GMs are running Acros?
View Quote

I agree with this
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:10:18 PM EDT
[#25]

Subjective, yes. But, ACRO's are too big for a pistol. There's no real benefit.
View Quote

Size is relative and subjective.

I've been told by the ladies that I'm too big.  That doesn't make it so.  

I'm running a Holosun EPS Carry MRS on a couple of pistols, and they've been outstanding optics.  I have RMR's on others and they are nice as well, but the EPS Carry MRS is better IMHO.

I'd have no problem running an ACRO P2 on a full size or even a compact pistol.

Link Posted: 11/4/2023 11:37:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I have a Acro P2 on a AR9.  
Never planned to mount it to a pistol.
I think its too big for my tastes but aimpoint made it to be a pistol optic.
I have a RCR on backorder.  I have zero desire for the RMR HD.
I have 2 RMR's.
I have 2 507k's.
I have a EPS carry MRS for my EDC.
and a few other mrd's.

As far as the enclosed emitter debate I keep seeing.
All things being equal, I am going to choose a enclosed emitter optic.  Why wouldnt you?
Is there any scenario where an open emitter optic is a advantage?
Im not talking about current offerings but type vs type.
Link Posted: 11/8/2023 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#27]
I have a Acro P2 on a AR9.  
Never planned to mount it to a pistol.
I think its too big for my tastes but aimpoint made it to be a pistol optic.
I have a RCR on backorder.  I have zero desire for the RMR HD.
I have 2 RMR's.
I have 2 507k's.
I have a EPS carry MRS for my EDC.
and a few other mrd's.

As far as the enclosed emitter debate I keep seeing.
All things being equal, I am going to choose a enclosed emitter optic.  Why wouldnt you?
Is there any scenario where an open emitter optic is a advantage?
Im not talking about current offerings but type vs type.
View Quote

Because I gave up on Holosuns all together, although I successfully ran a 509 for quite a while and ACRO's are fricken huge with a smaller window. No real advantage there, not to mention there's enough reports out there to assume it may not have the same bombproof attributes like a T2, although my ACRO on a B&T sub gun was flawless. If I'm gonna put a mailbox on my pistol it better have some serious advantages. Plus having over 100k rounds through RMR's on pistols in all weather conditions I've proven to myself first hand that open emitters aren't an issue. So, that's why I wouldn't, plus what's left besides Holosuns or an ACRO? Steiner? Nah.

At the end of the day, it really doesn't matter. Run what ya like. There's plenty of solid optics to choose from.
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:12:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJL0325] [#28]
I agree that the aesthetic isn't great on pistols. All of mine have been relegated to long guns.

I'll stick with RMR's on my handguns.

Link Posted: 11/29/2023 10:27:55 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Doesn't the rmr have a smaller window than the acro? At the very least the acro has a taller window. Much taller than the rmr. Aren't taller windows better for tracking the dot through recoil?
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 9:40:38 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Innawoods_larper:

Doesn't the rmr have a smaller window than the acro? At the very least the acro has a taller window. Much taller than the rmr. Aren't taller windows better for tracking the dot through recoil?
View Quote

RMR does not have a smaller window than ACRO

RMR: 0.89 x 0.67 in
ACRO: 15 × 15 mm / 0.59 × 0.59 in

Having a clear window, especially behind the optic but less important in front, helps with tracking and acquisition. The RMR owl ear shape does concave in right where you want maximum window to track dot movement up and down under recoil.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:12:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#31]
Just hit 2K rounds. No issues. The size of the window or the size of the optic over all doesn’t bother me. I have lots of pistol mounted RDS. RMRs, various Holosuns, this is my first ACRO but I’ll be adding more. I like how it performs, mostly though I like its footprint. It is a solid set up that I don’t have to worry about coming lose or shearing screws in half due to recoil.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Castillo:

RMR does not have a smaller window than ACRO

RMR: 0.89 x 0.67 in
ACRO: 15 × 15 mm / 0.59 × 0.59 in

View Quote

Those are the window dimensions for the RMR HD, not the RMR Type 2.
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:39:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#33]
Tell you what, It looks perfect on my gen5 21 fat slide
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 9:56:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By _LandCruiser_:
FWIW, I just bought a P2 in the EE. I mounted it on my P10F with a new battery, turned it on, and then activated the slide release to release the slide during a function check. The optic proceeded to flicker and then die. I couldn't turn it back on unless I opened the battery door and reseated the battery. I'd repeat the slide release operation and it'd flicker and die again.

This is a sample size of one, and I have another P2 on the way, but I'm hoping I got a dud and this issue isn't endemic to the optic platform. I honestly love the way it looks and I had no problems with the window or size of the optic while it was working.
View Quote

How was the warranty process?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 12:58:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I prefer the 509T to my Acro P2 in every way.

Also like my Steiner MPS over the P2

Looking forward to trying the RCR when it becomes available.

Open emitter works fine. Never had an issue with RMR or 508T. Just prefer the closed.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:33:31 PM EDT
[#36]
No mention of the small window here.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 11:25:41 AM EDT
[#37]
ACRO is a great carbine optic.

I learned to shoot handguns with RMR's....no window size issue for me.

It's just unfathomable so many dudes made it out alive while NOT using a closed emitter optic over the past 15 years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
ACRO is a great carbine optic.

I learned to shoot handguns with RMR's....no window size issue for me.

It's just unfathomable so many dudes made it out alive while NOT using a closed emitter optic over the past 15 years.
View Quote

I acroed another carbine. It’s great being able to use them for piggybacks, pistols or standalone and still being small and low profile

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top