Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/5/2024 12:22:04 PM EDT
For just over $1k and optic ready this looks like a darn good deal.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/kimber-kds9c-or-silver-9mm-4-09-barrel-15-1-3100012.html?gd

I was saving up for a WC EDC but just as I got ready to purchase they jumped from $2.5k ish to $3.5k ish

This looks like a great way to get into a carry double stack 9mm, and I hear Kimber QC and CS has improved.

Will I regret it? Should i quit being poor and buy better?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Don’t buy a price (Kimber)

Staccato is my vote
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:43:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dalle0001] [#2]
If you really wanted that WC one, I would just continue saving up for it. You can buy a substitution one I guess but you'll regret it since it isn't what you wanted.

If you have the 2.5k already saved up, perhaps put it as a layaway if you know you can get the remaining 1k as you pay into it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:47:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Not going to get a lot of Kimber love around here. I had one years ago and wasn’t very lucky with it.

Hopefully quality has improved.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:
Don’t buy a price (Kimber)

Staccato is my vote
View Quote

good advice / way of looking at it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:49:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:
If you really wanted that WC one, I would just continue saving up for it. You can buy a substitution one I guess but you'll regret it since it isn't what you wanted.

If you have the 2.5k already saved up, perhaps put it as a layaway if you know you can get the remaining 1k as you pay into it.
View Quote

im not a big fan of layaway / buying on credit but I suppose inflation isnt slowing down any time soon
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:49:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Just to be that guy, have you looked at dan wesson? I have been looking at a very similar gun. Dan wesson is very highly regarded, and most guns are priced somewhere between kimber and wilson. The answer is kind of a roll of the dice. I've also heard kimber has improved, but it seems like its still kind of a gamble.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:50:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Not going to get a lot of Kimber love around here. I had one years ago and wasn’t very lucky with it.

Hopefully quality has improved.
View Quote

Kimber was the first 1911 I ever shot in the mid 2000s, a 1990s model that was just amazing.
I got really pissed off when they completely went to shit when the time came I could buy one.
It seems there are varying reports on them recovering QC, or not..
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:52:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:
Just to be that guy, have you looked at dan wesson? I have been looking at a very similar gun. Dan wesson is very highly regarded, and most guns are priced somewhere between kimber and wilson. The answer is kind of a roll of the dice. I've also heard kimber has improved, but it seems like its still kind of a gamble.
View Quote

I have, Dan Wesson has some awesome guns, and I would buy one if I didnt already have a handful of single stack 45s.

Unfortunately DW doesnt make a double stack 9mm, I wish they did

( I understand they have the DWX? CZ / 1911 hybrid but it doesnt do it for me )
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:53:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you considered a Platypus? Lots of reviews seem to be very positive, and the customization is tough to beat at this price point.

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By JBecker_72:
Have you considered a Platypus? Lots of reviews seem to be very positive, and the customization is tough to beat at this price point.

https://www.stealtharms.net/p/platypus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPUGbNrg2JA
View Quote

yeah the platypus looks pretty darn cool.
I just wish it came with a g19 mag size / grip instead of 19
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:16:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By virgilc1984:
For just over $1k and optic ready this looks like a darn good deal.
https://www.gunbuyer.com/kimber-kds9c-or-silver-9mm-4-09-barrel-15-1-3100012.html?gd
https://www.gunbuyer.com/media/catalog/product/cache/b04d66171d00fad12bf0465168dada64/k/i/kim3100012-a.jpg

I was saving up for a WC EDC but just as I got ready to purchase they jumped from $2.5k ish to $3.5k ish

This looks like a great way to get into a carry double stack 9mm, and I hear Kimber QC and CS has improved.

Will I regret it? Should i quit being poor and buy better?
View Quote

Mine has been flawless so far and accurate.

Distance was 15 yards. Ammo was PMC 115Gr FMJ
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Gunjunki:

Mine has been flawless so far and accurate.
https://i.imgur.com/mZzU6Yzl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/oe9rS9jl.jpg
Distance was 15 yards. Ammo was PMC 115Gr FMJ
View Quote

Nice looking gun, I dig the two tone.

Mind if I ask the round count?
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#13]
"Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life." Rick Blaine, Casablanca

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:53:43 PM EDT
[#14]

I have, Dan Wesson has some awesome guns, and I would buy one if I didnt already have a handful of single stack 45s.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SteveJobs:

The DWX is awesome. If WC’s had stayed $2.5k, I would have considered saving up for the WC instead.

Now, after I finish off my DWX, I’ll start saving for a DWX-C.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Nice looking gun, I dig the two tone.

Mind if I ask the round count?
View Quote

Around 200 so far
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:44:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#16]
You can still get a new WC EDC for around $2500 or used on GB or addicts forum for a little less.  

WILS EDCX-CP-9A EDC X9 9MM 4″ 15RD BLK AMBI SFTY $2,550.98
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 8:20:04 PM EDT
[#17]

im not a big fan of layaway / buying on credit but I suppose inflation isnt slowing down any time soon
View Quote

It really depends. I think the big thing this year with the election ammo prices will no doubt increase a lot. So it might be smarter to buy now if you can spend a little extra cash on ammo in the coming months.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I don’t see a choice here. Kimber is an absolute “no”.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:16:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Jack19:
"Maybe not today. Maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life." Rick Blaine, Casablanca

View Quote

that quote hits hard...
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:17:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
You can still get a new WC EDC for around $2500 or used on GB or addicts forum for a little less.  

WILS EDCX-CP-9A EDC X9 9MM 4″ 15RD BLK AMBI SFTY $2,550.98
View Quote

never heard of that site but i like the price point
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 2:17:53 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Ruin:
View Quote

I suppose that is the response that I should have had.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:23:36 AM EDT
[#22]
Stsccato is highly over priced IMHO.   I have tried several and did nit care for any of them
The WC is super nice
Have not tried the Kimber but the reviews seem to be positive
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#23]

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Ruin:

If you’re going to carry it and want a reliable 2011 type gun right from the box at a fair price Staccato… is where it’s safe to start.

CS, C2, or C are all good starting points.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
Stsccato is highly over priced IMHO.   I have tried several and did nit care for any of them
The WC is super nice
View Quote

Subjective. Staccatos are priced right when considering all factors. There’s a reason multiple agencies and people run em so much now.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#25]

never heard of that site but i like the price point
View Quote

I've ordered a few guns from them.  And no tax unless you're in their State.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:45:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FJ803FE] [#26]
Originally Posted By badguybuster:
The WC is super nice
View Quote

You're not wrong, they do not match in terms of quality with their price. The civilian market doesn't realize law enforcement isn't close to paying any of these prices (and I don't mean LEO/Mil discount, I mean actual contracts). They make up a significant margin on civilian sales because people buy into their marketing too much. Anyone that's experienced with 1911s can tell you the production quality is no different than the production quality of a higher end production da/sa, or sub $1,000 1911 in the early thousands range. Also there is a misconception that these guns are hand fitted... nope, they are machined and assembled by techs. People always try to justify their purchases but when you look at the physical aspects of the pistol, features, materials used and quality of materials, it's a mid 1,500 pistol at best.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:20:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: cb4017] [#27]
I had a Staccato P.  Very nice gun but I never really bonded with it.  The grip seemed oversize for a 9mm.  Makes sense as they were .45acp/ .38 Super size.  I also didn't really like the course texture mine had.  But it was 100% reliable and very smooth.  I ended up selling it.

LGS has a WC on the shelf.  Not sure what model it is but it is just under $4k.  That isn't going to happen.

So I ended up buying a Kimber last month.  PSA had it for less than $1.2K  Only have a couple hundred rounds through it so far but it runs great.  Very accurate.  Trigger is 4 lbs.  No complaints at all.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 11:23:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By FJ803FE:

You're not wrong, they do not match in terms of quality with their price. The civilian market doesn't realize law enforcement isn't close to paying any of these prices (and I don't mean LEO/Mil discount, I mean actual contracts). They make up a significant margin on civilian sales because people buy into their marketing too much. Anyone that's experienced with 1911s can tell you the production quality is no different than the production quality of a higher end production da/sa, or sub $1,000 1911 in the early thousands range. Also there is a misconception that these guns are hand fitted... nope, they are machined and assembled by techs. People always try to justify their purchases but when you look at the physical aspects of the pistol, features, materials used and quality of materials, it's a mid 1,500 pistol at best.
View Quote

They are ridiculously priced. However, my Staccato is fitted better than my DW, which is fitted better than my SA, which is fitted better than my Colt. To say that they have an equivalent fit to a sub $1k 1911, or any DA/SA is pure clown shoes. People do try to justify their purchases, which also includes knocking those guns they didn’t buy.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

They are ridiculously priced. However, my Staccato is fitted better than my DW, which is fitted better than my SA, which is fitted better than my Colt. To say that they have an equivalent fit to a sub $1k 1911, or any DA/SA is pure clown shoes. People do try to justify their purchases, which also includes knocking those guns they didn’t buy.
View Quote

Agreed on all accounts. I bought one when I did the lath on their first responder discount and realized it’s a pretty solid deal. It’s been a fantastic purchase and I love carrying it.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Comparing a Kimber to a Staccato is not even possible. I would never trust or own a Kimber product.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:39:36 PM EDT
[#31]
For shoot ability, I've always preferred my Staccato's or 2011 style pistols over the EDC X9.  Some people prefer it the other way.  The EDC X9 does seem to be the smaller and easier to conceal of the two.  And the fit and finish seems a little better.  

I also feel the pride of ownership of a Wilson Combat over a Kimber.  Like putting on a nice watch, I sometimes like to put on a nice gun.  The WC fills that niche.  Kimber, not so much.  

I swore off Kimber for about 20 years due to perceived Q/C issues.  I recently ran into a LW Gov. model that's a series I style gun.  No complaints with that.  I wouldn't own one of their Series II guns.  And went through a couple of K6s and still have a K6xs revolver.  No complaints with those either.  

I'm currently without an EDC X9, as I sold mine.  I had the Blackout Edition with magwell.  I was under the impression you could take-off the magwell if you wanted.  But WC actually cuts the bottom of the frame to fit the mag well. So, I wasn't a fan of the longer grip/magwell for a carry gun.  Eventually I'll get back into one.  

My only gripe with the EDC's or other WC Dbl. Stack alloy 9mm's, is the limited mods the end user can do.  Having longer fingers, I'd really like to add a long flat trigger, but WC won't sell triggers, so you have to send it in.  They do sell replacement grips, backstraps, and front sights though.

Personally, I'd try to shoot a C2 or CS and compare it to a EDC X9.  And if you're talking optic cut versions, I'd probably stick to the 2011.  I'm not a fan of how high the optic sits on the EDC platforms.  But again, my opinion.  You may like it that way.

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:57:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Yes. Buy the EDCX9 and forget it
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:28:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes you will regret it big time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 11:49:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#34]
I saw a couple of the KDS9c's at a local shop yesterday.  The railed/ambi & N/S version, and the non-railed/single sided safety, hi-viz version.  I was looking hard at a DW TCP, but I decided why not go double stack.  And I missed my Wilson EDC X9 I sold (the gun I think Kimber copied to create these).  Although it doesn't seem as small as I remember my EDC being.  I decided to pick-up the ambi version, as I'm a lefty.  And having a rail is always nice.  

I went home and watched several reviews on both versions.  And all the reviewers seemed to like the gun.  And didn't report any malfunctions.

I took mine out this morning and ran some 124 gr. Remington FMJ's through it.  It shot very similarly to the Wilson EDC X9 I use to have.  Recoil does seem little snappier than a poly frame 2011. But so did the Wilson.  I used the 2 factory mags (15 & 18) it came with and an extended 20 round Canik mag.  All worked flawlessly.  The Canik mag will not lock the slide back on the last round but will work in the gun.  The sights were on, so no complaints.

I really don't intend to put an optic on this, as I've already got an optic on my C2.  Sometimes I just want something Glock 19 size to carry but in a 1911/2011 platform.  As I usually shoot these platforms better than a Glock.

One of the down sides with this is the obvious $20 Mec-Gar mags Kimber sells for $50 that are proprietary to these guns.  I'd also like a little more grip texture on the grips, but per a SHOT show review I watched, Kimber stated they would come out with grips that have more texture.  I'm not sure I'd hold my breath on that, as Kimber seems like they're always chasing the "next release", and let the older models fade away.  In fact, I'll probably buy their overpriced ($99) optic plate just to have one.  Just in case those go away.

So, for 1/2 - 2/3 the price of a Wilson EDC X9, I think this is a winner.  Fit & finish aren't as nice, and you're not strapping on a WC, but for the price point, I think it's worth it.

As I mentioned in one of my above posts, I swore off Kimber for about 20 years due to perceived Q/C issues.  I've now owned 5 newer Kimbers in the last year & have no complaints.  I've even dealt with CS, without any real issues.  I think Kimber might be making a comeback from the poor Q/C years?

And to the OP, if you really want the Wilson, don't settle.  Buy the Wilson.  

Link Posted: 4/9/2024 12:11:45 PM EDT
[#35]
I have the exact same. So far it has been a great choice for the cost. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I saw a couple of the KDS9c's at a local shop yesterday.  The railed/ambi & N/S version, and the non-railed/single sided safety, hi-viz version.  I was looking hard at a DW TCP, but I decided why not go double stack.  And I missed my Wilson EDC X9 I sold (the gun I think Kimber copied to create these).  Although it doesn't seem as small as I remember my EDC being.  I decided to pick-up the ambi version, as I'm a lefty.  And having a rail is always nice.  

I went home and watched several reviews on both versions.  And all the reviewers seemed to like the gun.  And didn't report any malfunctions.

I took mine out this morning and ran some 124 gr. Remington FMJ's through it.  It shot very similarly to the Wilson EDC X9 I use to have.  Recoil does seem little snappier than a poly frame 2011. But so did the Wilson.  I used the 2 factory mags (15 & 18) it came with and an extended 20 round Canik mag.  All worked flawlessly.  The Canik mag will not lock the slide back on the last round but will work in the gun.  The sights were on, so no complaints.

I really don't intend to put an optic on this, as I've already got an optic on my C2.  Sometimes I just want something Glock 19 size to carry but in a 1911/2011 platform.  As I usually shoot these platforms better than a Glock.

One of the down sides with this is the obvious $20 Mec-Gar mags Kimber sells for $50 that are proprietary to these guns.  I'd also like a little more grip texture on the grips, but per a SHOT show review I watched, Kimber stated they would come out with grips that have more texture.  I'm not sure I'd hold my breath on that, as Kimber seems like they're always chasing the "next release", and let the older models fade away.  In fact, I'll probably buy their overpriced ($99) optic plate just to have one.  Just in case those go away.

So, for 1/2 - 2/3 the price of a Wilson EDC X9, I think this is a winner.  Fit & finish aren't as nice, and you're not strapping on a WC, but for the price point, I think it's worth it.

As I mentioned in one of my above posts, I swore off Kimber for about 20 years due to perceived Q/C issues.  I've now owned 5 newer Kimbers in the last year & have no complaints.  I've even dealt with CS, without any real issues.  I think Kimber might be making a comeback from the poor Q/C years?

And to the OP, if you really want the Wilson, don't settle.  Buy the Wilson.  

https://i.imgur.com/9vJWCk8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0s2RJNO.jpg
View Quote

@dump1567

Roughly what did you pay? (What is street price)?
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 7:41:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#37]
Originally Posted By lilMAC25:

@dump1567

View Quote

I paid $1649 OTD.   That was the sticker price, but the manager gave me the good guy "no tax" discount.  So that's probably around what other retail shops are charging.

I got home and went on gun.deals.  Prices range was $1399 to $1799. With what I paid being the middle of the road.  Some of those places will also charge tax and shipping.  And then add your FFL's fee.

I normal try to get the best price I can, but this was kind of an impulse buy.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 9:21:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#38]

I paid $1649 OTD.   That was the sticker price, but the manager gave me the good guy "no tax" discount.  So that's probably around what other retail shops are charging.

I got home and went on gun.deals.  Prices range was $1399 to $1799. With what I paid being the middle of the road.  Some of those places will also charge tax and shipping.  And then add your FFL's fee.

View All Quotes

@dump1567

Thanks

These (and the WC) interest me, but I think that’s way more than I want to pay.
Link Posted: 4/9/2024 10:51:38 PM EDT
[#39]

Thanks

View All Quotes

@dump1567

Thanks

At those numbers I agree, but what made the kimber tempting was finding it for $1,150
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 12:47:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#40]
I took my KDS9C back out to run some transition drills last Wed.  Somehow as a lefty, I inadvertently hit the mag release button a few times during firing and dropped the mag.  I've never had that issue with any other gun, but the Kimber mag release is a little larger than most.   I have switched the button to the other side of the gun to try out.  I'm used to right handers mag releases using my middle finger, so this is something I'll have to get used to.

But the gun did run flawlessly through another 50 rounds or so.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 1:21:11 PM EDT
[#41]
I have the kds9c. Mine is the all silver/stainless look. I haven't shot it enough to really decide how I feel about it. We were shooting bowling pins at about 30 yards. With the Glock I could do it almost every shot. The Kimber took a couple tries. I'm a Glock guy so maybe it's just what I'm used to. It's never jammed or had a problem but I'm only at about 100 rounds.
Link Posted: 4/13/2024 10:15:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lilMAC25] [#42]

At those numbers I agree, but what made the kimber tempting was finding it for $1,150
View All Quotes

@dump1567

Thanks

Oh, that’s tough to resist.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 3:22:07 AM EDT
[#43]
IMHO if you buy the Kimber you will, at least eventually, feel that you settled and still want to buy the Wilson-but also at that point be $1100 shorter of your savings goal to buy one.

I am personally somewhat biased against Kimber because I believe they survive and a reputation they developed long ago and then ruined more recently, but I do know a few guys who have newer ones that seem to run just fine. In their price range I would personally go with a Springfield or a Colt-though neither of those make anything comparable to what you're looking for.

My one high end 1911 is an ACW Prime and I have zero regrets about paying $3500 for it. If I had bought a DW or something to save money (nothing against DW-they make great handguns and my next purchase will be one) then I know I would have misgivings.

Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#44]
I just found this info. on Kimbers website if anyone does pick-up a KDS9C.  

KDS9C REDEMPTION
Firearm must have been purchased new between January 1st, 2024 and July 31st, 2024.
Qualifying purchases of eligible KDS9c or KDS9c Rail Models from participating dealers are eligible to receive a free set of high texture or very high texture grips, and two magazines. Restrictions and additional terms and conditions apply.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/20/2024 7:53:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Give it a try and report back.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#46]
I am a 1911 man. The first one I shot was 58 years ago when I was 8. It is now 107 years old and sits within reach of my bed, along with 6 others.

That said, I don't know why anyone who wants a high capacity single action pistol would look any place other than Sig and its 229 Legion SAO. I have had STIs and Staccatos, and I love them. They are great shooters that did not miss a beat that wasn't due to the magazine. BUT, they are not better shooters than my P229 Legion SAO. The 229 makes it completely unncessary to spend big bucks on the WC and Staccato pistols, and it helps the buyer avoid the risk of the KDS9C.

Compared to...

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#47]
The only kimber worth having is the old Series I (PreSeries II)
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:02:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Is the "little" Staccato as small as the Kimber? I haven't held the Kimber yet but I have played with a couple Wilson EDCs long ago.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By PabloMcGlock:
Comparing a Kimber to a Staccato is not even possible. I would never trust or own a Kimber product.
View Quote

The K6's are very nice revolvers.

If they run reliably, these new great value brand Wilson Combats will be a... Great value. If

Kimber makes a lot of beautiful 1911s that are renown as being hit or miss... Mostly renown for their misses. I would skip or wait and see with these.

There's a lot of cool double stack cheaper options coming out this year. I have no desire to beta test any of it. Neither these Kimbers, nor the Turkish stuff.

Staccato is currently way overpriced IMO. I don't see the $500-$1,000 of anything better in a Staccato vs the Prodigy. I do see how a Wilson is a lot more refined than Staccato.

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:41:43 AM EDT
[#50]
I don't understand why the railed gun is so much more.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top