Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:25:23 AM EDT
[#1]
I love my Wilson
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I don't understand why the railed gun is so much more.
View Quote

From my memory, the Staccato CS is a little smaller than the KDS9C.  The KDS9C pretty much reminds me of my EDC X9 I sold.  Including how it feels when I shoot it. And it seems Kimber copied a lot of the features.

The rail version comes with night sights & an ambi-safety which helps raise the price.  There's also the way the optic mounts.  On the non-rail version the screws go through under the slide which I find kind of weird.  The railed version goes through the top of the slide like every other RDS mount.

The only issue I find with the KDS is the size of the mag release button.  As I mention earlier in this thread, even as a lefty, I was somehow accidently engaging the mag release during firing.  And dropped the mag inadvertently a few times.  I switched it to the right side of the gun, but during firing, I could still feel my hand hitting it too much.  I didn't drop the mag, but it was a cause for concern.  It's not your normal round button, as it has a tail that extends into the grip area.  I've thought about dremeling this area down.  But this just may be an issue I have with my large hands & may not affect other users.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:48:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ALASKANFIRE] [#3]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

From my memory, the Staccato CS is a little smaller than the KDS9C.  The KDS9C pretty much reminds me of my EDC X9 I sold.  Including how it feels when I shoot it. And it seems Kimber copied a lot of the features.

The rail version comes with night sights & an ambi-safety which helps raise the price.  There's also the way the optic mounts.  On the non-rail version the screws go through under the slide which I find kind of weird.  The railed version goes through the top of the slide like every other RDS mount.

The only issue I find with the KDS is the size of the mag release button.  As I mention earlier in this thread, even as a lefty, I was somehow accidently engaging the mag release during firing.  And dropped the mag inadvertently a few times.  I switched it to the right side of the gun, but during firing, I could still feel my hand hitting it too much.  I didn't drop the mag, but it was a cause for concern.  It's not your normal round button, as it has a tail that extends into the grip area.  I've thought about dremeling this area down.  But this just may be an issue I have with my large hands & may not affect other users.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I don't understand why the railed gun is so much more.

That's weird about the optics mount. Maybe it was an inline change that will eventually be on all of them? I didn't realize the new Staccato was that small. Guess I need to find one to check out.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:28:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By virgilc1984:

good advice / way of looking at it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By virgilc1984:
Originally Posted By DetroitSounds:
Don’t buy a price (Kimber)

Staccato is my vote

good advice / way of looking at it.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By GingerShanks:

They are ridiculously priced. However, my Staccato is fitted better than my DW, which is fitted better than my SA, which is fitted better than my Colt. To say that they have an equivalent fit to a sub $1k 1911, or any DA/SA is pure clown shoes. People do try to justify their purchases, which also includes knocking those guns they didn’t buy.
View Quote

You must have had a bad dw 1911 if the staccato wad "fit" better.  I've yet to see a staccato that has a properly fit barrel.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:38:41 PM EDT
[#6]
For shoot ability, I've always preferred my Staccato's or 2011 style pistols over the EDC X9.  Some people prefer it the other way.  The EDC X9 does seem to be the smaller and easier to conceal of the two.  And the fit and finish seems a little better.  

I also feel the pride of ownership of a Wilson Combat over a Kimber.  Like putting on a nice watch, I sometimes like to put on a nice gun.  The WC fills that niche.  Kimber, not so much.  

I swore off Kimber for about 20 years due to perceived Q/C issues.  I recently ran into a LW Gov. model that's a series I style gun.  No complaints with that.  I wouldn't own one of their Series II guns.  And went through a couple of K6s and still have a K6xs revolver.  No complaints with those either.  

I'm currently without an EDC X9, as I sold mine.  I had the Blackout Edition with magwell.  I was under the impression you could take-off the magwell if you wanted.  But WC actually cuts the bottom of the frame to fit the mag well. So, I wasn't a fan of the longer grip/magwell for a carry gun.  Eventually I'll get back into one.  

My only gripe with the EDC's or other WC Dbl. Stack alloy 9mm's, is the limited mods the end user can do.  Having longer fingers, I'd really like to add a long flat trigger, but WC won't sell triggers, so you have to send it in.  They do sell replacement grips, backstraps, and front sights though.

Personally, I'd try to shoot a C2 or CS and compare it to a EDC X9.  And if you're talking optic cut versions, I'd probably stick to the 2011.  I'm not a fan of how high the optic sits on the EDC platforms.  But again, my opinion.  You may like it that way.

View Quote

I'd say the cs would be similar or a hair smaller grip than an edc which is smaller than the c2.  While the wilson is more, there are alot more features and better fit on the wilson.  Serrated flat tip, serrated rear of slide, fluted barrel and chamber hood, cheaper, more reliable magazines....
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#7]
My 2 free 15 round mags and high texture grips came in.  They offer high texture and very high texture.  I went with the standard high texture in green (red is also available).  I think the green looks pretty good on the gray frame.  And the standard high texture feels good enough, without getting snagged on an over shirt.  I don't carry directly against the flesh, so I don't know how that would feel. I also haven't shot it yet to see if the texture helps keep the gun from flexing in your hand.

I did some comparisons in size to the Staccato C2 (3.9" barrel).  The Kimber is a little longer (4.09" barrel) and the grip is a little wider.  But this particular C2 had a slight grip reduction by the prior owner.  A Staccato CS would be smaller.  It has a shorter barrel (3.5"), shorter grip, and is thinner.

I'm still impress with the quality of the Kimber.  Not quite a Wilson EDC X9, but a pretty solid offering for about 1/2-2/3 the price.  I'm not a high round count shooter, so I have no idea how it will hold-up after 1000's of rounds.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:34:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Where do you get high texture grips?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#9]
Originally Posted By GrandmasterB:
Where do you get high texture grips?
View Quote

Kimber has a 2 free mag & high texture grip deal if you bought one of these during a certain time frame (check the Kimber website).  Eventually they’ll be selling these grips on the website if they haven’t started already.

Check my post #44
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:19:20 AM EDT
[#10]
the only problem I've found with higher-end 1911s is that once you get one, you don't enjoy shooting anything else

I have a few polymer pistols but shoot my Baer and ACW better than them, enjoy them more, and since getting the ACW this year I've had no desire to add any more cheap things to the stack.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top