Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/16/2022 9:51:34 PM EDT
I've seen a bunch of stores get the Girsan P35 Ops (pic rail, straight trigger) in stock the last few days, along with a bunch of the other versions.  Still, nobody seems to have the P35 Ops optic-cut version.  My FFL can't get it either.  

Has anyone seen one of these out in the wild?  I'm debating whether to wait for the optic version or just order the regular P35 Ops while they're in stock and have it milled.  If the optic version is vaporware, there's no sense in waiting for it.  

Girsan MC P35 OPS Optic
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 10:29:06 AM EDT
[#1]
Have not seen one of those, but looks nice if the price is decent.  Lasr week I saw a Springfield SA-35 at Scheels.  It was the first one of those I had seen as well.  The store was a zoo so no chance to actually handle it.
Link Posted: 12/17/2022 1:07:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The SA-35 is also kind of scarce. I saw a guy at today's gun show buy the last one for $970. Little pricey IMO, but hopefully the ejection issues are fixed now.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Well, I went ahead and got the non-optic P35 Ops. Found it locally for $600, which was too good to pass up. If I see the optic model somewhere in stock, maybe I'll pick that up too.

Observations: it's well put together and the finish is even. The undercut frame and extended beavertail are great additions.

The trigger weight is a lot heavier than my FNs. I think this is primarily because the sear spring is much stronger than the FN, for no  apparent reason. On a field stripped FN, when holding the hammer back, I can easily pivot the sear with my finger. On the Girsan, I have to use a dowel rod against the sear to get enough force to pivot it.

Aside from trigger weight, the trigger pull feels good. There's a small amount of smooth take-up to a very well defined wall, a little creep, and then a clean break with essentially no overtravel.  Reset is weak, as on most hi-powers. I wish some attention had been paid to making that more positive. Not really Girsan's fault, but they missed an opportunity for improvement.

Initially the mags would not drop free. I discovered that the medallions in the G10 grips were retained with a cotter pin type setup inside the grips, and part of the pin was protruding into the mag well. After seating the cotter pin ends to be flush, the mags now shoot out.

A Brownells threaded barrel dropped right in and manually cycles well. I also tried a Lone Wolf threaded barrel, which would not lock in. Likewise, my FN barrel would not work in the Girsan, nor would the slides swap in either direction.

I'm going to shoot it as-is and see how it goes. Then I want to at least replace the sear spring and see if I can lighten up the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By BobTheGreat:
I've seen a bunch of stores get the Girsan P35 Ops (pic rail, straight trigger) in stock the last few days, along with a bunch of the other versions.  Still, nobody seems to have the P35 Ops optic-cut version.  My FFL can't get it either.  

Has anyone seen one of these out in the wild?  I'm debating whether to wait for the optic version or just order the regular P35 Ops while they're in stock and have it milled.  If the optic version is vaporware, there's no sense in waiting for it.  

Girsan MC P35 OPS Optic
View Quote

The perfect hi power exists!
Link Posted: 12/27/2022 9:52:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/28/2022 4:56:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
Will Battlewerx optic cut it for you?

$100 usually
View Quote

I'll look into that.  I'm sure plenty of shops can do it.  

I was able to get the trigger pull down to about 5.5lb with a replacement sear spring and some tweaking of the amount of bend in the spring.  No issues using a Browning spring, like was reported with the Tisas BR9's.  Also replaced the trigger return spring (what a PITA) with a Wolff 2-coil extra-power to try to improve the reset.  It kind of helped, but not dramatically.  

Had zero malfunctions during the range test.  It shot quite well with both the factory barrel and the Brownells threaded barrel.  Finding the reset at speed remains my main complaint, which is also true of my FN's.  

It would have been nice to have a checkered frontstrap.  Maybe if I get the slide milled, I'll see about getting that done also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top