Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2023 7:21:44 PM EDT
Well, I picked up a 6” Python a couple of weeks ago. I love the gun. It’s everything I thought it would be shooting wise. The cool thing is it was made 7 days after my son’s birthday. He’s 8 and we’ve been making memories sending rounds down range out back.

However, I’m having issues with light strikes in double action. At first I thought it might have been some bad ammo. I have some .357 silver tips I got back when Obama was in office. Then I tried some Underwood ammo and had a few. It seemed like it was just an issue with .357 as .38s would go off just fine. Today I tried some Winchester 38+P and I had a light strike with one of those. Everytime I had a light strike I checked the primer and it had an indention and it was centered. A second strike in double action would then set it off.

The funny thing is the cheap Winchester white box always goes off without an issue. Tomorrow I’m going to call Colt and hope they make it right. It’s a new model made this year.

Anyone have this issue?  Was Colt able to get it lined out?
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Both of mine have been fine.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I called customer today.  I’m now just waiting for the return label to show up in my inbox.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s on the way back to Colt now.  I hope they can fix it right.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:55:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tehgruu:
It's on the way back to Colt now.  I hope they can fix it right.
View Quote
It shouldn't be a problem.  I had to fix light strikes on an NIB Diamondback and it was very straightforward.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#5]
That stinks to hear that. Mine has been nothing but reliable since new with any/all ammo I feed it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2023 10:36:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I’m hoping mine will be reliable when it gets back.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tehgruu:
I'm hoping mine will be reliable when it gets back.
View Quote
You should be good BUT if Colt pulls a Smith and Wesson on you ( and totally fucks up the job), don't lose heart.  If I can get the worlds most internally fucked Diamondback to shoot...we can get that Python running.

Unlike Smith and Wesson, Colt's customer service is still pretty darn good.

By the way: FUCK Smith and Wesson.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2023 2:34:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, it was received and signed for last week at Colt.  I was told it should be 25-30 days when I started the RMA process.  Now nothing to do but wait and buy ammo for it.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 8:25:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I got an update from Colt today. They replaced the hammer link and adjusted the transfer bar plunger. It’s on the way back to me now.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Python is back.  First round of silvertips I got a click.
The primer strike looked good.  It was deeper than before I sent it off.  I shot some underwood 125 gr and Remington 125 gr HTP.  They went off no issues.
That was a couple of days ago.  Today I shot it some more.  I had one round of the underwood fail to fire.  Again, it looked like a good strike.  I tried it 3 more times in DA and nothing.  SA set it off.  I tried more of the Remington HTPs and they all went off.  Even in VERY slow DA.

I’m thinking this may be more of an ammo issue.  When I got the silvertips a few years ago some of the bullets could be moved in and out of the case with my fingers.  In addition that, I haven’t been too impressed with their defensive ammo over the past few years.  I think I’ll just use Winchester for plinking/target shooting.

I’m not sure what’s going on with the underwood ammo.  I fired over 50 rounds of the 158 gr stuff no issues.  In the few boxes of 125 gr stuff I’ve had light strikes.  Sometimes 3 per cylinder.  That stuff is harder on the gun anyway so I probably won’t buy anymore.

I think for serious use, I’ll stick to the Remington 125 gr. HTP.  It’s reliable, powerful enough, was the most accurate out of the bunch and fairly controllable.

I do wish I could find some of the 154 gr HSTs from Federal.  I haven’t had any issues with Federal ammo.
Link Posted: 5/13/2023 6:08:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rock71] [#11]
It could just as easily be hard primers with the ammo. With all of the shortages, maybe the recipe got changed a little. I have seen multiple guns have failures with Remington 158s, for example.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top