Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2024 8:55:10 PM EDT
Recently picked up a Beretta 87 22lr and now I'm thinking about picking up a Beretta Cheetah in 380acp. The Beretta 85BB looks almost identical to my 87. Of course the higher capacity 84 model is appealing as well. Didn't care for the looks of the new 80x, however the grip and trigger are actually pretty nice. The older 84 feels kind of fat to me. The 85 and the 80x felt good in the hand.

The older versions like the BB can be carried cocked and locked like a 1911. The newer F and FS and 80x versions have decockers for traditional DA/SA carry.

What do you guys like? Any favorite Beretta Cheetah's?

Link Posted: 1/3/2024 8:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
The single stacks feel best... 80x is probably the best of them, and I have all those you mentioned. Better sights and trigger.
Link Posted: 1/4/2024 1:47:34 PM EDT
[#2]
BB's also fire without a magazine, F/FS require one. I finally got a deal on an 84F to pair with my 85BB, and was puzzled briefly when I did my habitual "drop magazine, clear, test dry fire" routine at my LGS.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 12:26:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I've been carrying an 80x for a few months now. I'm around 700 rounds without issue. It's by far the best stock factory trigger I've ever felt on a .380, and perhaps on any DA/SA production gun. Reliable, easy to shoot well, and perfectly sized for carry. Can't get much better than that.
Link Posted: 1/5/2024 3:50:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn’t find any of the older models that weren’t beat up police trade ins so I went with a new 80X. I really like this gun. As said great trigger and sights and if I ever get old maybe a rdo. Just an all around really nice gun. I’m going to get the 32 barrel for it soon. Plus it fits several of my Sig 365 holsters so that’s a win.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:22:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tirador223] [#5]
I'm an 85 and an 84 owner - both wonderful, reliable pistols.  I thought this size comparison was kind of interesting between the Beretta and that standard of handiness, a J Frame.

.and with the Cheetah's bigger, 9mm brother:

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Excluding the pig ugly new X series: every Cheetah is the best Cheetah.  I love them all!  You would be hard pressed not to find something you love about every one of them.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 3:31:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been carrying an 80x for a few months now for cases where a Centurion is too big. It conceals easily and is very right-sized for accurate shooting. The trigger is the best out-of-the-box DA/SA I've ever felt.

I carry the gun safety off, hammer down, and had to make some adjustments to my draw and grip on presentation. Moving my thumbs to their typical high grip would sometimes activate the safety unintentionally. I now make sure that my firing thumb rides atop the safety on presentation. Problem solved.

I'm about 500-600 rounds in, mix of FMJ and JHP, no issues.
Link Posted: 3/15/2024 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By desertmoon:
Excluding the pig ugly new X series: every Cheetah is the best Cheetah.  I love them all!  You would be hard pressed not to find something you love about every one of them.
View Quote

This! I have them all, minus the 87. That one has eluded me for years. They are truly classic pistols.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 1:27:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RockolaM1] [#9]
I have a few double stack 84's and a single stack 86 (same grip/mags as the 85).  I prefer the larger grip of the 84, but it's all personal preference. The 84BB is my personal favorite, I have an AA threaded .32 barrel in one of them.

They are great little guns!
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 11:58:29 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW :  I am extremely jealous of the OP.  I want an 87 Cheetah something fierce!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By airman100:
BB's also fire without a magazine, F/FS require one. I finally got a deal on an 84F to pair with my 85BB, and was puzzled briefly when I did my habitual "drop magazine, clear, test dry fire" routine at my LGS.
View Quote

It's a very easy fix to remove the mag safety.  It's been 20 years since I did it on mine, but my remembrance is that you take the grips off, and there's some leaf spring style part that you take out, and it fires without a mag.  I'm sure there are plenty of YT videos about it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1stID] [#12]
I have two Cheetah's, a 81BB in .32 ACP, and a 85F in .380.

The 32 is double stack, the 380 is single.

How much compatibility is there between the two?

Can I:

Swap barrels between either one, just needing a double stack .380 to work in the 81, and a single stack in .32 in the 85?

I don't see a reason to, but could I use the slide on one on the other?  Or do you have to use the same caliber barrel and slide, for bolt face and/or extractor issues?  I don't think that's the case, I think you can just swap barrels and mags but want to check.

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:46:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Love my 87 and 85

Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I own a few Cheetah's.

Have owned and carried a Beretta 85F or 85FS for years.  Fits my hand like a glove.  

Beretta 87's are SWEET.  I have one that I love.  Favorite .22 pistol for me

I also picked up 2 Beretta 81's that are cherry.  Picked them up cheap.  Stocked up on mags.  Changing to a .380 from .32acp is a simple barrel and mag change.  

Cheetahs are wonderful pistols.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 5:47:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine is an older .32ACP that I adore

Vestigia del Passato by Solo__, on Flickr

Link Posted: 3/19/2024 9:41:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1stID:
I have two Cheetah's, a 81BB in .32 ACP, and a 85F in .380.

The 32 is double stack, the 380 is single.

How much compatibility is there between the two?

Can I:

Swap barrels between either one, just needing a double stack .380 to work in the 81, and a single stack in .32 in the 85?

I don't see a reason to, but could I use the slide on one on the other?  Or do you have to use the same caliber barrel and slide, for bolt face and/or extractor issues?  I don't think that's the case, I think you can just swap barrels and mags but want to check.

View Quote

yes you can swap. i do it all the time
Link Posted: Today 5:51:27 AM EDT
[#17]
I carry an 84 FS at times. Great pistol.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Today 6:46:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By sparkyfender2:
I carry an 84 FS at times. Great pistol.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/390133/IMG_0656_jpg-3211326.JPG
View Quote

Holster maker?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top