Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2023 1:47:56 AM EDT
Looking for a Ballistol alternative. Something that is bio-based and made in the USA. Mainly for use with 45acp and 9mm handguns. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 1:52:56 AM EDT
[#1]
I got some of these little pen bottles as a freebee once and used them a few times just as a lube, worked fine but haven't really put it to much use fully as a CLP.

https://renewablelube.com/products/bio-synxtra-firearm-lubricant-clp
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:06:45 AM EDT
[#2]
80 below is pretty good. Not just for Duck hunting.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 4:28:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Taskmaster86] [#3]
Originally Posted By comma:
Looking for a Ballistol alternative. Something that is bio-based and made in the USA. Mainly for use with 45acp and 9mm handguns. Thanks!
View Quote

Just be aware that almost all of the "bio-based" lubes, especially the ones that are based on some sort of plant derived oil almost all get sticky and gummy over time. While they do usually lube very well, they don't prevent rust and become tacky over time. Ballistol is based on mineral oil which is really not "bio-based" per se which is why it doesn't get sticky over time. The only real complaint about ballistol is that it has a very low flash point and smokes off guns that get hot. Many people don't like the smell of Ballistol but that is subjective. To me, Ballistol smells like black licorice and I love it.  

All this being said, Birchwood casey has a whole new line of "renewable" gun care products that you may want to give a try. The cleaner is called Elemental firearm cleaner and the lube is called renewalube firearm oil. Birchwood casey has been a trusted name in gun care for a long time so they are probably worth a try.  

Link Posted: 11/20/2023 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Taskmaster86:

Just be aware that almost all of the "bio-based" lubes, especially the ones that are based on some sort of plant derived oil almost all get sticky and gummy over time. While they do usually lube very well, they don't prevent rust and become tacky over time.

View Quote

SOLD, I DEFINATELY WANNA USE THOSE....

THanks

Im out.

Vell I have  to be a SA first,  We have a BILLION options on the market that do everything well, but they are petroleum based..... Nope we want something else. walking around a gun show a guys pitch is, you can eat this stuff and it wont hurt you ...... WHY THE XXXX would I care if I can EAT my freaking gun oil?
Nothing against you OP (HONESTLY) I just find it amazing nothing is ever good enough for us (humans) and it definately breeds inovation but holy crap I guess Im OLD, Never even occured to me to look for a bio based oil for a weapon....  

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:40:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Larrys1911:

I guess Im OLD, Never even occured to me to look for a bio based oil for a weapon....  

View Quote

Apparently you are not old enough to remember the time when bio based oils literally ruled the firearms lubrication world.  Petroleum based oils only became a thing in the last third of the 19th century.  The standard oil for small arms of the US army was bio based until 1923.

That's right, bio based oils were used well into the 20th century.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 9:59:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I'm wondering this too. I used Breakfree CLP for years with no complaints. Mostly because it was available at Walmart.

I switched to Mobil 1 a little while back because some co-workers and a Gunsmith at work talked me into it. I'm not a fan at all. As I was out hunting, all I could smell was motor oil every time I got close to my gun. Despite wiping the gun off about 20 times.

So I'm going back to a gun oil, I just don't know which one. I've heard great things about G96, so I'm tempted to try it.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By slowr1der:
I'm wondering this too. I used Breakfree CLP for years with no complaints. Mostly because it was available at Walmart.

I switched to Mobil 1 a little while back because some co-workers and a Gunsmith at work talked me into it. I'm not a fan at all. As I was out hunting, all I could smell was motor oil every time I got close to my gun. Despite wiping the gun off about 20 times.

So I'm going back to a gun oil, I just don't know which one. I've heard great things about G96, so I'm tempted to try it.
View Quote

WeaponShield is what you seek. It smells like cinnamon and is synthetic oil based. It a good boundary film lubricant that beats everything it goes up against in the wear test. George Fennell has several videos testing it against other products on YouTube.

Link Posted: 11/23/2023 10:34:24 AM EDT
[#8]
In the spirit of arfcom, I say get both.  Mix canola oil from the grocery store with cheap generic dexron ATF, (automatic transmission fluid, not the other ATF).  Use a 4/1 ratio, or thereabouts, it is not critical.

Makes a decent gun lube, 80% plant based.  It doesn't get sticky or tacky after several months and I have tested it to -10F and it didn't thicken up.  Certainly cheap enough.

It does still have that ATF odor, but it is not too bad.  Add a couple drops of rose oil, and you won't notice it, though.  (Might clash with your cologne, though).  Not safe for human consumption, but most of today's gun oils aren't either.

Prior to the development of low acid, (the LA in canoLA), rapeseed oil was used as a lubricant in steam engines, so it is not a new application.

Bio based lubricants have a long history of use as firearm lubes and engine oil.  The early aviation engines and race cars used bio based lubricants.  The dexron ATF used in my home made mix was originally formulated to replace the sperm oil used in automatic transmissions well into my early driving years.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:

Apparently you are not old enough to remember the time when bio based oils literally ruled the firearms lubrication world.  Petroleum based oils only became a thing in the last third of the 19th century.  The standard oil for small arms of the US army was bio based until 1923.

That's right, bio based oils were used well into the 20th century.
View Quote

UH Yea I dont claim to yet be 100. Im well aware that BIO Based oils were used for EVERYTHING at one time because thats what we had.... Whale oil was HUGE
Funny thing about improvements aint it, the old stuff goes away, because the new stuff is "better"

Link Posted: 11/24/2023 12:01:00 AM EDT
[#10]
G96 bio based clp
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 7:29:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Larrys1911:

UH Yea I dont claim to yet be 100. Im well aware that BIO Based oils were used for EVERYTHING at one time because thats what we had.... Whale oil was HUGE
Funny thing about improvements aint it, the old stuff goes away, because the new stuff is "better"

View Quote

The newer petroleum based oils are better because they are cheaper, not better because of their tribological superiority.  If sperm oil was abundant, it would still be being used.
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 2:47:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#12]
I have this stuff, Foxtrot linked it in another oil thread and I bought a gallon.

Meets the military's spec for CLP - MIL-PRF-63460E

SDS sheets show it to be practically harmless. Not cancer causing. No toxicity. It also excels at low temps (Good to -60F). Seems to work well so far.

https://renewablelube.com/products/bio-synxtra-firearm-lubricant-clp
Link Posted: 11/30/2023 3:19:22 AM EDT
[#13]
What's wrong with using Ballistol?
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 5:10:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:
What's wrong with using Ballistol?
View Quote

Absolutely nothing.  Ballistol was one of the first petroleum based lubes to make it big in the firearms world.
Link Posted: 12/1/2023 7:19:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Boretech !
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top