Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/23/2024 6:16:18 PM EDT
Long story. Getting wife acclimated to dots from irons, Sig 322. Had an old Shield dot that fit perfect. She started to get the hang of picking it up, then the Shield started going on/off. Quit for the day.
Have a new Sig romeo zero in 6moa. Seems easier for her to get.

I have a newer shield 3moa on my 48, and a holosun 507 2moa on my 365X.

Thinking of putting a 6moa holosun 407 on the sig and the 507 on my 48. Thought is a bigger dot is faster?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:12:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SkiandShoot] [#1]
Personally, I’m only going 6moa moving forward.

The 407k 6 moa red dot is a big clean stupidly simple dot.

My rmr 6moa looks a hair smaller and bit as crisp.

Both are carry pistols.

This was after I was using the 3.25 and for whatever reason I was always tempted to “target” shoot while training with the smaller dot. 6moa changed that, not going back!

Worth a try?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:22:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SpankMonkey] [#2]
I changed all my dots to 6moa green. My time has gone way down on getting my hits. For me the large green dot stands out quicker.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:50:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#3]
I do not really care for big dots myself I prefer the 3MOA or smaller.  To me if I forget to turn down my dot in some scenario when I present the bigger dots are almost unusable but with a smaller dot I can work with it still.  Also the bigger dots make precision shots harder and even harder still as the range extends to make hits consistently.  I can make hits out to 200 with a 2-3MOA dot but it becomes much more difficult the larger that dot gets and almost impossible to get reasonably quick follow up shots at extended distances.  The reason for that is the dot obstructs so much that you have to acquire the target, then  move the dot to cover and obstruct it, make your shot, and repeat the process over again the smaller dots just make it far less a drawn out process of setting up the shot.  
On the flip side of all this if you are strictly going for speed up close the bigger dot is nice but in my experience the hits outside of the A zone are much higher with the bigger dots for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 11:40:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
I do not really care for big dots myself I prefer the 3MOA or smaller.  To me if I forget to turn down my dot in some scenario when I present the bigger dots are almost unusable but with a smaller dot I can work with it still.  Also the bigger dots make precision shots harder and even harder still as the range extends to make hits consistently.  I can make hits out to 200 with a 2-3MOA dot but it because much more difficult the larger that dot gets and almost impossible to get reasonably quick follow up shots at extended distances.  The reason for that is the dot obstructs so much that you have to acquire the target, then  move the dot to cover and obstruct it, make your shot, and repeat the process over again the smaller dots just make it far less a drawn out process of setting up the shot.  
On the flip side of all this if you are strictly going for speed up close the bigger dot is nice but in my experience the hits outside of the A zone are much higher with the bigger dots for me.
View Quote

I agree.

I have an EPS Carry with a 6 MOA, and a couple of EPS Carry MRS with the smaller 2 MOA dots.  The smaller dot is far superior for me.  And if I need it to "appear" bigger, I can always just make it brighter.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:01:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ewald] [#5]
I have; 2 MOA Venom, 6 MOA RMR, 8 MOA FF3, MRS - EPS Cary, MRS - 507Comp. I am also a geek.

I have run the same simple drills with the Venom and FF3 head to head under time. Drill was run 5 times each on a Ruger Mark IV on different days. I recorded the times to compare.

I did the same thing with the RMR and EPS Carry. I also tried every combination of the MRS on the EPS Carry. In this case the drills were done the same day with the dots mounted on two different Glocks.

Yes, there are other variables and the data sets could be larger. However the differences in average times were obvious.

I am very confident in saying bigger is faster when it comes to dots. My experiments confirmed the conventional wisdom.

The 507 Comp is new to me. I am still playing with the combinations. I may run the same experiment when the weather gets better. I have noticed hitting the head A Zone with the 2 MOA dot is doable. 2 MOA dot with 8 or 20 MOA circle get progressively harder as thing get bigger. The target area is obscured. Smaller is more precise.

6 MOA dedicated seems to be a good balance for a carry gun. That is what is on my G19.

2 MOA dot with 32 MOA circle is a good option also. That is what I am using on my G43X. If I were doing it over again, I would save $50 and go dedicated 6 MOA EPS Carry in place of the MRS.

Link Posted: 1/27/2024 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Ewald:
I have; 2 MOA Venom, 6 MOA RMR, 8 MOA FF3, MRS - EPS Cary, MRS - 507Comp. I am also a geek.

I have run the same simple drills with the Venom and FF3 head to head under time. Drill was run 5 times each on a Ruger Mark IV on different days. I recorded the times to compare.

I did the same thing with the RMR and EPS Carry. I also tried every combination of the MRS on the EPS Carry. In this case the drills were done the same day with the dots mounted on two different Glocks.

Yes, there are other variables and the data sets could be larger. However the differences in average times were obvious.

I am very confident in saying bigger is faster when it comes to dots. My experiments confirmed the conventional wisdom.

The 507 Comp is new to me. I am still playing with the combinations. I may run the same experiment when the weather gets better. I have noticed hitting the head A Zone with the 2 MOA dot is doable. 2 MOA dot with 8 or 20 MOA circle get progressively harder as thing get bigger. The target area is obscured. Smaller is more precise.

6 MOA dedicated seems to be a good balance for a carry gun. That is what is on my G19.

2 MOA dot with 32 MOA circle is a good option also. That is what I am using on my G43X. If I were doing it over again, I would save $50 and go dedicated 6 MOA EPS Carry in place of the MRS.

View Quote

Faster is going to be mostly shooter not dot size.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I am in the 5-6 MOA camp.  I have used the smaller dots but they do not jump out at me like the larger dot.  If I were planning to shoot 200 yards with a handgun, a smaller dot would reduce the aiming point and perhaps offer more precision.  But my 4" barreled carry gun and my 5" barreled competition guns are not for that purpose.

I switched to a dot because of failing visual ability, so the bigger dot allows me quicker acquisition.
Link Posted: 2/3/2024 4:48:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I started pistol optics life with 1 moa dots, thinking they'd be more accurate, right? I've slowly migrated to 3moa and 6 moa. I'm faster with the larger dots and with slow fire, my groups are tighter with the larger dots for some reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top