Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/29/2024 6:36:29 PM EDT
The scorpion has some well documented short comings. Is it with the extra money to get the MPX? If yes, why?
Thank you
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 6:53:38 PM EDT
[#1]
SP5, B&T, MPX.  

Scorpion isn't hitting on much.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 7:05:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#2]
I really enjoy mine, definitely my fastest gun:

Also love the AEMS, definitely my fastest optic as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 2:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a PTR K and a MPX.

The scorpion always seemed cheaply made to me. Too much plastic. On EVERYTHING. Yes. Mags for the mpx cost more. Oh well. The whole gun costs more. If you’re super short on funds then go the cheap route. Or save more money and get something nicer. My MPX has been great. Converted the 8" to an oem 4.5 and do regret it. The 8" seemed to handle better. They both functioned perfectly. Thrill brand mags work well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:19:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: thebomber] [#4]
Opposing POV. I've owned a Scorpion since they first came out and after making a few basic changes, it has been a joy to own. Its currrently a "K" configuration with a factory CZ folding stock. You'd be hard pressed to find a similarly classed firearm with more aftermarket support.

Folds up very small:

Link Posted: 3/30/2024 3:49:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#5]
For a long time I avoided the PCC revolution because I didn’t really see the point. My 10.3 MK18 with the right round is still a better performer ballistically. However, there is something to be said about having something that is very compact, that can fold or completely collapse and even though it is a pistol caliber the added stability and longer barrel does make the pistol round more useful. I started with the B&T GHM9. I was going to buy a Scorpion but I couldn’t find them in stock at the time and I got a really good deal on my B&T. It was about $500 less than they typically go for so I went that direction. Since the P320 is my standard go to pistol I opted for the P320 lower so my mags would interchange plus I have piles of 320 magazines. The B&T is expensive, parts are expensive, but it has been reliable from day one for a few thousand rounds now. I added a factory collapsible brace and some other adjustments and it has been great. I currently have a factory APC9 Pro SBR waiting at my local shop. I opted for the standard magazine lower so that I can swap it out with my 320 lower if needed.

I’ve handled and fired the MPX they are great but pricy. I really don’t like the approach Sig has taken with the MPX, MCX and Spear line. They have kind of made the buyers the beta testers. They have made generational changes and in some instances created non-compatible parts between the various generations. I say this as a huge Sig fan too.

I have also handled the Scorpion and honestly I don’t think you would be disappointed with the CZ. It isn't very expensive, it has in my opinion, better mags and better mag support. The CZ also has a massive aftermarket following which will allow you to easily fine tune it to fit exactly how you need or want it. Out of the two PCCs, I’d lean towards the CZ but I would also recommend checking out B&T. I have been very pleased with mine.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Edit, I have been interested in checking out Berettas new PCC. I have a Beretta CX4 that I’ve had for 15+ years that has been great. I hope their new PCC is equally good.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:45:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Davidsonmd:
The scorpion has some well documented short comings. Is it with the extra money to get the MPX? If yes, why?
Thank you
View Quote

I saved up and bought a MPX Copperhead (and like it).

I handled a CZ and thought it felt cheap.

I’ve handled and really liked the HK offerings, but all of them around here are 2.5k or more….for a semiauto 9mm.

I SBR’d my MPX and added an Sig telescoping stock.  It resides next to my home office desk (for squirrels and such).

Link Posted: 3/31/2024 12:32:20 AM EDT
[#7]
My experience with the Micro version was okay, but not worth the price I paid for it.

If you can find a scorpion for under $1K, maybe even under $900, I would say go for it, otherwise, there are better options.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 11:06:52 AM EDT
[#8]
I think the MPX offers two significant advantages that make it worth the extra cost over the Scorpion - the short stroke gas pistol recoil system and the AR-pattern design. I rented a Scorpion a couple years ago and found the blowback system created a lot more recoil that I was expecting in a PCC. It’s certainly manageable, but I was looking for something much smoother in a weapon that large shooting a 9mm round. In contrast, the MPX’s recoil is much smoother and softer, allowing faster, more controllable rapid fire.

The MPX’s controls also make it much more intuitive as someone who has spent a lot of time with ARs. The controls are nearly identical, and you can even use some of the same accessories, like pistol grips, or accessories made for the MPX that are the same design as their AR equivalent, like charging handles. It makes the MPX a great PCC “companion” to a home defense AR.

There’s lots of aftermarket support for the Scorpion, less so for the MPX, but still a good amount of options. However, in my opinion, the Scorpion is a bit like Glocks where people buy a more affordable gun and then spend a lot of money on aftermarket accessories to change it into a configuration they like or feel more comfortable with. That narrows the price difference with the MPX pretty quickly. The MPX is really comfortable to use right out of the box and would be great with just the addition of an optic, light, and maybe a change in the grip or some rail panels, hand stop, etc. The MPX recoil system and controls make the remaining price difference worth it to me.
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 3:31:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I own the Scorpion and have modified it with different parts. I have shot the MPX side by side with my Scorpion. The MPX was nicer to shoot and ran really well. My Scorpion isn't bad at all, but I really did like the MPX. The drawbacks with the MPX are the cost of things being more than the Scorpion as has already been mentioned.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 1:57:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I have never shot an MPX but have owned the Scorpion and a couple HK clones. The Scorpion EVO pistol, I had, everyone in the family liked it and could shoot it with no issues. It was very easy to operate and there are parts galore for it if you choose to change anything. I only sold it as I am wanting to get a carbine version of the pistol. The pistol for being mostly composite, never had an issue with feeding, parts breakage or was finicky with ammo. It ate everything I put through it and recoil was not bad. I also had an HK MP5 clone(s) and while it shot a little nicer, it just felt heavier -(even though they weigh close to the same). It shot nicely but to me personally, wasn't as ergonomic as the Scorpion.

The Sig looks nice but again I have no experience with it. Price wise, they are not that far off of the Scorpion price depending on where you look. If it were me, I would have to shoot one in order to make a decision on which to get.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#11]
MPX, SP5, B&T are all significantly better guns than the Scorpion.  The Scorpion is a cheap plastic range toy that may or may not explode out of battery.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 2:44:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jagdkommando:
MPX, SP5, B&T are all significantly better guns than the Scorpion.  The Scorpion is a cheap plastic range toy that may or may not explode out of battery.
View Quote

Lol...It's been widely adopted internationally yet you call it a range toy ready to blow up. I get people prefer HKs, MPXs et al but talk about hyperbole.
Link Posted: 4/1/2024 10:14:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#13]
AR controls were a big deal to me.  I considered a SP5, but I didn’t want a new platform.  Also, I shot a bunch of direct blowback guns (Ruger, scorpion, etc) and hated the recoil impulse.

Kinda pricey, but I got exactly what I wanted.  It’s just so pleasant to shoot.  
Having said that, the factory charging handle and dust cover on the MPX are total bullshit. I got a raptor handle, but I shouldn’t have to do that.

Link Posted: 4/2/2024 8:09:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Another vote for the MPX.  Straight blowback guns like my APC9 aren’t as smooth shooting as an MPX or MP5.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:27:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#15]
Originally Posted By TROB:
AR controls were a big deal to me.  I considered a SP5, but I didn’t want a new platform.  Also, I shot a bunch of direct blowback guns (Ruger, scorpion, etc) and hated the recoil impulse.

Kinda pricey, but I got exactly what I wanted.  It’s just so pleasant to shoot.  
Having said that, the factory charging handle and dust cover on the MPX are total bullshit. I got a raptor handle, but I shouldn’t have to do that.

https://i.imgur.com/JRPZ7HC.jpeg

View Quote

What is so much more pleasant about it vs the Scorpion? Genuinely curious. I had a Scorpion & sold it because I go through toys like underwear
I did do a bunch of mods to it to make it more to my liking, but never found it unpleasant. The MPX has always intrigued me, but the price keeps me away. I also had an SP5 and sold that because it was more fun to think about owning vs actually owning.

I know I'd have to pay the $200 to SBR the MPX so there goes even more money.

I have an AR9 pistol that I built right now and enjoy shooting it. I don't know that I'd be able to justify the MPX $ vs what I already have. Not that the MPX is not a "better" pistol, but is it worth all the money and starting over...
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:46:17 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ve got both. The Scorpion is nice but not even in the same league as the MPX

I also have a Colt pattern SBR… MPX is superior

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 2:01:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NoImpactNoIdea] [#17]
Had a Scorpion, sold it and bought a MPX, sold that and got an AP5.

Scorpion was shockingly loud suppressed and I didn’t like all the plastic, the MPX felt like it was made out of lead and weighed a ton, but the AP5 is a copy of literal perfection.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 4:26:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Scorpion is 'cheap n' cheerful'; you can get them all day long on gunbroker for $750-$800. For a real, military issue SMG, it's a hell of a value.

MPX seems to be in the $1400-$2000 range now.

Link Posted: 4/3/2024 6:24:20 AM EDT
[#19]
Cost aside, I much prefer the MPX, other than the venerable MP5+clones, I've only seen the CZ Scorption in a combat zone

It's hard to compare, but I think the Glock analogy works. There's nothing sexy about the Scorpion and it's a pretty common blowback PCC. It does have a great aftermarket industry, but if you can find it for a reasonable price, they're still a lot of fun. As most have mentioned the MPX is a lot smoother shooting when compared side-by-side. Both of mine have been 100% reliable and the accuracy favors the MPX by a smidge...

My B&T GHM9-compact may be labeled (stamped?) as the Scorpion killer, but I'll soon be adding and upgrading a Stribog SPA3 with the A3 Tactical "Scorpion mag" lower...I won't dump my CZ (built it into a "K" model), but we'll see how they compare as prices are a little more similar.

On a budget and want to tinker? CZ Scorpion

Want and can afford a smoother shooter with AR controls? Sig MPX

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:14:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3ACR_Scout] [#20]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
What is so much more pleasant about it vs the Scorpion?
View Quote

I think the most simple analogy for me is if you were to take two identical pistols, one in 9mm and the other in .40 (e.g. Glock 19 and 23) and shoot them side by side, the Scorpion recoil impulse is stronger (not necessarily sharper) than the MPX, like the difference in shooting .40 vs. 9mm. This is from my limited experience of only firing a few magazines through a rental Scorpion, but I just felt like it should be softer shooting and easier to bring back on target for a fairly large “pistol” that’s chambered in 9mm. Maybe that’s how most blowback sub guns feel. I just find the MPX much smoother and easier to keep on target because of the softer and smoother recoil impulse.

My only other sub gun experience was shooting a captured Beretta M12 (which has a ridiculously large and heavy bolt) and a junky Egyptian copy of an Uzi.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 11:48:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
FWIW, here's how little recoil a roller delay gives and how well it stays on target:

(bleh _ i'm unconvinced Rumble is really any better than Youtube...)
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
FWIW, here's how little recoil a roller delay gives and how well it stays on target:

(bleh _ i'm unconvinced Rumble is really any better than Youtube...)
View Quote

Rumble isn't a communist, cancelling, woke, censorship platform

This is a good video, makes me feel good about getting that Stribog. To be quite honest with brandnew, novice shooters, mostly women...they couldn't tell the difference between several blowback, roller delay, or buffered type actions of PCCs. They did prefer all of them to the AR/AK pistols and rifles. Even though the weight wasn't too different on some, they center of gravity was easier to manage and the muzzle blast was vastly easier for them to not get intimidated.

What they did notice when comparing them to an AR pistol or rifle was less about the recoil and more about the muzzle noise. That was the biggest factor. I think those who shoot competition or more frequently time their drills, they will notice the difference than most casual shooters.

I will say that those same novice shooters typically gravitated to the MPX more than the other pistols.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/4/2024 4:46:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TROB] [#23]
Originally Posted By RangeToy:

What is so much more pleasant about it vs the Scorpion? Genuinely curious. I had a Scorpion & sold it because I go through toys like underwear
I did do a bunch of mods to it to make it more to my liking, but never found it unpleasant. The MPX has always intrigued me, but the price keeps me away. I also had an SP5 and sold that because it was more fun to think about owning vs actually owning.

I know I'd have to pay the $200 to SBR the MPX so there goes even more money.

I have an AR9 pistol that I built right now and enjoy shooting it. I don't know that I'd be able to justify the MPX $ vs what I already have. Not that the MPX is not a "better" pistol, but is it worth all the money and starting over...
View Quote

Pretty much this…the mpx handles the recoil impulse better.  To me, direct blowback guns all seem more ‘jumpy’ than they should be.  That, coupled with an overall higher quality feel, make it more pleasant.  

Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:

I think the most simple analogy for me is if you were to take two identical pistols, one in 9mm and the other in .40 (e.g. Glock 19 and 23) and shoot them side by side, the Scorpion recoil impulse is stronger (not necessarily sharper) than the MPX, like the difference in shooting .40 vs. 9mm. This is from my limited experience of only firing a few magazines through a rental Scorpion, but I just felt like it should be softer shooting and easier to bring back on target for a fairly large “pistol” that’s chambered in 9mm. Maybe that’s how most blowback sub guns feel. I just find the MPX much smoother and easier to keep on target because of the softer and smoother recoil impulse.

My only other sub gun experience was shooting a captured Beretta M12 (which has a ridiculously large and heavy bolt) and a junky Egyptian copy of an Uzi.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 1:03:18 PM EDT
[#24]
I am picking up a cz scorpion vo 3 micro w a folding brace and 6 20rd mags for 799 at my local FFL used, with the included cz sights, it was a price point I was willing to spend on a scorpion, I've had the other larger ones but this was a deal I couldn't pass up, also got a Betta cx4 sorm befoore that for 629 and chage, just wanted some compact pccs, they fit certain roles for me. I'd love an mpx, but never see them available locally and if I'm dropping 1600-1800 ona new gun, I want to see it and hold it in person.
ideally I'd want the 8" if I could gt it..

hell why have to chose? this is still America, get both because variety is the spice of life.

I will also add, factor the cost of accessories for each, I can realistically get 2-3 mags for the cz for every one mag for the mpx..
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 7:26:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BorderDave] [#25]
This Scorpion started out as a pistol.  Even with the bullpup chassis, the integral suppressor, and two tax stamps it costs less than an MPX.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#26]
I think my EVO is softer shooting than my UTAS Mini 9 and my ARV9 :D
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I had a Scorpion and eventually traded it. They are a fine weapon, but not entirely my cup of tea. I then acquired two MPXs over the course of a year through some trades. I had also acquired a B&T GHM9 w/retractable brace. I eventually traded off one of the MPXs and recently traded off the B&T. Granted the B&T is a stellar weapon, I still much prefer the MPX and the remaining one will stay. It is much lighter and much easier to handle. With it layout very much like that of an AR, I am more than familiar with its operation.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top