Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/9/2023 12:15:06 AM EDT

Colt 1911 70 Series (not repro-made in early 80s) Gov’t model. Recently acquired the pistol and noticed slide is “too far forward”. I’ve researched and scoured the “1911 forums” and think maybe it could be:

A. Barrel lug issue
B. Slide release pin placement (off spec)
C. Cosmetic issue (either slide is cut too short or frame is cut too long).

Pistol doesn’t look like it’s been fired much at all. Came with the original box with Colt “pachmayr grips” and Colt wood grips.

Any input/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:21:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Those edges look almost too rounded. Maybe the previous owner got a little heavy-handed with the buffing wheel?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:23:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#2]
Originally Posted By thewildman18:
https://i.postimg.cc/qRg4XWXp/208-E88-AE-3710-4-B1-D-9-CD9-E4-F009945925.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/nLXnq61p/39-B1-F50-C-1-B9-A-41-BE-8-FAA-9-D79-DC3-CAD1-F.jpg

Colt 1911 70 Series (not repro-made in early 80s) Gov’t model. Recently acquired the pistol and noticed slide is “too far forward”. I’ve researched and scoured the “1911 forums” and think maybe it could be:

A. Barrel lug issue
B. Slide release pin placement (off spec)
C. Cosmetic issue (either slide is cut too short or frame is cut too long).

Pistol doesn’t look like it’s been fired much at all. Came with the original box with Colt “pachmayr grips” and Colt wood grips.

Any input/help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

It looks like it has been buffed and refinished or had some type of “melt” job.

Look how this is sharp and not rounded.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Can you post a picture of the full pistol from both sides?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:29:33 AM EDT
[#3]

Yes, I’m noticing some inconsistencies with this pistol. Allegedly, this pistol has never been refinished.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#4]
What’s a “melt job”?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:35:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:45:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: fxntime] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

"Allegedly.''

HAH!!!!

Here is a un-refinished series 70. [9mm] Even during the bad ol' series 70's days, Colt did a pretty decent flat polish and crisp roll marks.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:49:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By fxntime:

"Allegedly.''

HAH!!!!
View Quote

So, this was a “replacement” for my original pistol that the gunsmith damaged. I’m guessing this is not such a honest deal?
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:52:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: QCMGR] [#8]
What’s a “melt job”?
View Quote

It is when all the sharp edges of a 1911 are rounded over.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:54:59 AM EDT
[#9]

So, this was a “replacement” for my original pistol that the gunsmith damaged. I’m guessing this is not such a honest deal?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"Allegedly.''

HAH!!!!

No. That's a $350-$400 on it's best day Colt 1911.

Horrible polish job, the flats are trashed and the roll marks are smeared it was buffed so hard.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:56:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Horrible polish job, the flats are trashed and the roll marks are smeared it was buffed so hard.
View All Quotes

"Allegedly.''

HAH!!!!

I got to go with this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 1:00:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: thewildman18] [#11]
Wow, thanks for the info. I’m going to have to demand something different. This is absolutely ridiculous. They grossly oversized the slide cuts (had Novak rear and Wilson dovetail) on my original 1911 and then attempted to tig weld it but it looked like trash.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#12]
PS, that hammer is atrocious.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 1:04:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Wow, thanks for the info. I’m going to have to demand something different. This is absolutely ridiculous. They grossly oversized the slide cuts (had Novak rear and Wilson dovetail) on my original 1911 and then attempted to tig weld it but it looked like trash.
View Quote

I would be pissed!
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 11:27:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Thin “new” replacement from same era is because the gunsmith damaged my original pistol (same model). They were supposed to mill & install Novak rear cut and Wilson front dovetail (both Wilson sights) and totally screwed it up. They attempted to tig weld the massive front sight cut, but in the end the slide looked fairly rough. Later, I noticed the rear sight was completely canted as well. I guess the question is; what is more “repairable” my original pistol or this current “new” pistol? Posting pics of the original pistol.

“Wilson dovetails cut” on the original pistol

Tig weld and “repair”

Canted rear sight (my initials were engraved and I marked them out in red-was a gift from my dad).
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 12:14:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Looks like you are dealing with a gunsmith who is learning on the job.  That work looks awful and I suspect he did the work on the replacement pistol as well.

I'd ask for a box stock new colt 1911.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 1:33:09 PM EDT
[#16]
imho, Someone rounded the slide, I doubt Colt let it out of the factory with those edges or finish.
If the slide hadn't been rounded at the base, I'd bet it would align with the receiver the way it should.

Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:27:05 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

"Allegedly.''

HAH!!!!

I hate nto say it, but I agree with this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By raygixxer89:
Those edges look almost too rounded. Maybe the previous owner got a little heavy-handed with the buffing wheel?
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:46:21 PM EDT
[#19]
What a shit show.

I 'think" a good smith can, or can have someone else, weld or micro-weld the dovetails on the slide on your original pistol and then recut them. But it'll probably cost, and is definitely beyond the ability of the yutz who did this.
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Thin “new” replacement from same era is because the gunsmith damaged my original pistol (same model). They were supposed to mill & install Novak rear cut and Wilson front dovetail (both Wilson sights) and totally screwed it up. They attempted to tig weld the massive front sight cut, but in the end the slide looked fairly rough. Later, I noticed the rear sight was completely canted as well. I guess the question is; what is more “repairable” my original pistol or this current “new” pistol? Posting pics of the original pistol.

https://i.postimg.cc/vBwkG7sw/3-E656-E32-9-DA8-456-D-BDFE-5-C8634622-C63.jpg
“Wilson dovetails cut” on the original pistol

https://i.postimg.cc/nz1RZ62q/5581730-A-C293-4132-B9-B8-E56-A72-EECE66.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/TY5VJzbQ/A0-D7-FAFD-1-B58-4185-B599-1-D29-E178267-C.jpg
Tig weld and “repair”

https://i.postimg.cc/ZYM8t7c2/D4-FBAFB0-0013-4142-BFC0-B557-AD174991.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/Yqt4hT3h/F705-F2-B6-A39-F-42-AD-BFB6-FF6-CB3-B482-BE.jpg
Canted rear sight (my initials were engraved and I marked them out in red-was a gift from my dad).
View Quote

That is terrible!  Who did that?
Link Posted: 9/14/2023 8:28:09 PM EDT
[#21]

WOW.

Customer's products,  is no place for .jr gunsmith to OJT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top