Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/25/2023 2:52:42 PM EDT
Local gun shop has a 2007 Colt SAA (blued barrel and cylinder, case hardened frame, black grips in 45LC) for consignment at $1900,  I was ready to grab it when I noticed some surface rust in the groove on the top of the frame, and on the grip screw.  I looked closer and it looked like the previous owner may have removed some minor rust from areas of the frame (there is some minor difference in the finish of the case hardening in a couple spots.)  It looks unfired and has original box and all paperwork. No marks on cylinder and functions correctly. Owner will not budge (it was recently put up for sale.)

How much do these inperfections impact value?  I know they can be cleaned up but it will never be perfect.  On the fence on purchasing; it will be mainly for collection with maybe some shooting.  Any advice will help.
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 3:28:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#1]
2007 so Third gen I assume.

The Colt SAAs are pretty much worth what people will pay for them, which is a lot right now. You could go on GB and see what they are actually selling for (not asking price) and go from there. Refinish can make a pistol look great again, but can cost a fair bit unless you have the skill to do a professional job yourself.

Last I paid was $2200 for a mint 3rd gen 7.5" in .45 LC.
That was 5 years ago.
Really have no idea what current prices are like.

The fact that the seller didn't disclose a refinish job might make me balk.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 4:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I got this about 15 years ago, it's a 3rd gen SAA in .45 Colt. Not a speck of rust.  I paid $1425 for it at the time.  if you're buying it as a shooter it won't matter, but if you want it as an heirloom, maybe Turnbull would be worth a call to restore.

Link Posted: 3/25/2023 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/25/2023 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the insights.  From looking at GB it seems like a pretty good price.  I am going to sleep on it and maybe take another look Sunday.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 8:54:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
I got this about 15 years ago, it's a 3rd gen SAA in .45 Colt. Not a speck of rust.  I paid $1425 for it at the time.  if you're buying it as a shooter it won't matter, but if you want it as an heirloom, maybe Turnbull would be worth a call to restore.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/103648/IMG_0363_JPG-2652054.jpg

View Quote

Turnbull does absolutely amazing refinishing work.

The only problem they easily might you more than you paid for the pistol to do it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2023 7:54:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I paid $1300 for this .357 example about 3 or 4 years ago. I think that that $1900 for one with finish issues is WAY too much.

Link Posted: 3/28/2023 7:49:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#7]
Originally Posted By JohnRippert:

I paid $1300 for this .357 example about 3 or 4 years ago. I think that that $1900 for one with finish issues is WAY too much.

https://images2.imgbox.com/a9/4a/f7lSQLia_o.jpg
View Quote

Maybe, but you certainly would not be able to buy the pistol in the photo for $1300 today. Or I'd buy 2.  I don't know that Colt is going to make anymore since CZ took over.

Link Posted: 7/7/2023 1:43:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Wholesale distributers currently list Colt SAA for $1531 with a MSRP of $1799.  I was told Colt only makes a production run maybe once a year.  Not sure if that is true, but it doeas appear they are still in production.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
$1900 is a decent price for that right now.

I just snagged a couple of 357s for about that with scrape/ding on the trigger guards.  Otherwise perfect.

They’re shooters now. The best kind.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:17:53 PM EDT
[#10]
My shop has a 5.5" in shooter condition. 2d gen I believe, no box or anything special. Tag at 1800. I offered 1600 and he basically scoffed and gave the old "I know what I've got", not even a counter offer. It's been there half a year now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 1:10:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Gray:
Wholesale distributers currently list Colt SAA for $1531 with a MSRP of $1799.  I was told Colt only makes a production run maybe once a year.  Not sure if that is true, but it doeas appear they are still in production.
View Quote

Show me some in stock online. I cant find any.
Link Posted: 8/5/2023 6:55:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By _DR:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:
Originally Posted By Gray:

There ain’t none.

Link Posted: 9/17/2023 4:36:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sgtgeo] [#13]
I’ve been trying to get a 2023 production Colt SAA since Feb.

Sounds like there was a big order for the TX Rangers then another commemorative run with engraving etc.

Gave up and put an order in with the Colt Custom Shop.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top