Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2023 5:36:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rlbuzz]
Colt is determined to have just about every barrel length combination for their Python.

Just released, the Python SS in 2.5", and soon to follow the Python SS in 5".    Combine those two with the existing 3", 4.25", and 6" and they've got all their bases covered, except possibly an 8" version.

Unfortunately they are all available only in Stainless steel for now. Rumored is a black DLC finish, but nothing definite to announce on that.

Sure makes a good lookin' little snubbie.

Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:28:46 PM EDT
[#1]
That 2.5 inch Python is one sexy beast.  I've got a 6" stainless from '65 or else I'd be all over that.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:33:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Oh, I like that !
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 7:47:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I think that pic is the 3”. I bought one of the 2.5” on line and should have it next week.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#4]
The only thing I can see is the abominable QR code on a traditional revolver.

Flip it over and check for a Hillary hole.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#5]
No blue, no like.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:12:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rope-A-Dope:

Flip it over and check for a Hillary hole.
View Quote
Colts don't have that, thankfully.
Link Posted: 8/27/2023 10:32:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve got a three and 4.25 inch.  My local guy can get me. 2 1/2 for reasonable money.  Tempted tho it’s probably a dumb idea.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By BM-ARM-DPMS-guns:
I think that pic is the 3”. I bought one of the 2.5” on line and should have it next week.
View Quote

I posted the picture, but I think you're right.  Good catch.  Funny, that is a 2020 Python, but  it does look like a 3" although it does have the proper service grips that are coming out on the 2.5".  I can't explain why.

I did change out the original picture to show the actual 2.5" Python.
Link Posted: 8/28/2023 12:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 50-140:
That 2.5 inch Python is one sexy beast.  I've got a 6" stainless from '65 or else I'd be all over that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/29/2023 4:54:00 PM EDT
[#10]
To each their own but these "snubnose" Pythons seem really retarded to me. The whole point of a snubnose is to have a small, compact and lighter weight gun for carry/SD so why would anybody want a snubnose with a heavy ass target frame and target sights? Just my opinion but of you want a target gun, get a Python with the 4.25 or 6" barrel. If you want a snubnose for carry, get a Cobra (2.5") or King Cobra with the (3" barrel). if you want a snubnose for target shooting then

But like I said, to each their own. It's no skin off my ass if some people want them for whatever and Colt is willing to make them. What does however kind of chap my ass is... Colt has a whole catalog of guns that nobody can find anywhere. How about they stick to making the guns they already catalog and save the new models for after they get caught up making the existing models? Crazy I know lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 5:01:32 PM EDT
[#11]
5" Anaconda, please.
Link Posted: 8/29/2023 7:33:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Devils_Advocate:
5" Anaconda, please.
View Quote

In .45 Colt...
Link Posted: 8/31/2023 11:17:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Southrnshooter] [#13]
I drooled over all the Colts at the LGS on Monday.  Has anyone noticed a big variation in the grip colors?  They had several Pythons that had “dusky” looking grips and then a few that looked more polished and brown walnut colored.  There was a significant color difference with 10 or so laying in the case.  There were a couple that I would not have been happy to receive if I ordered without seeing prior.

The shop carries blems, but these were not.

I’ll be all over a blued in 5” if they ever come out with that years from now.  I should have enough money saved up by then if Biden and his ilk haven’t  destroyed us by then.

Link Posted: 8/31/2023 12:31:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Southrnshooter:
I drooled over all the Colts at the LGS on Monday.  Has anyone noticed a big variation in the grip colors?  They had several Pythons that had “dusky” looking grips and then a few that looked more polished and brown walnut colored.  There was a significant color difference with 10 or so laying in the case.  There were a couple that I would not have been happy to receive if I ordered without seeing prior.

The shop carries blems, but these were not.

I’ll be all over a blued in 5” if they ever come out with that years from now.  I should have enough money saved up by then if Biden and his ilk haven’t  destroyed us by then.

View Quote

There's a couple 5" Pythons on Gunbroker right now. they'll go for high prices no doubt but it wont take long to stabilize now that shipping has begun.
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 12:00:41 AM EDT
[#15]
So I was on a quest to add all the new Pythons to my collection, keeping my fingers crossed (for my wallet’s sake) that they wouldn’t add any more barrel variants.  Well I have the 3”, 4.25” and 6”.  Looks like two more will be added at some point…
Link Posted: 9/1/2023 5:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm sort of in the same boat. I have the three current barrel lengths, but damn, that 2.5" sure looks good!  IMO it's better looking than the 3".  It's just hard to justify ponying up another $1300-$1500 (after prices stabilize) or so for the exact same pistol only with a 1/2" shorter barrel.

I've always thought the 6" was the best looking, but that long barrel is kind of nose heavy. The 5" seems to split the difference and looks just right.  But sometimes you just gotta draw the line and just say NO!
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 2:32:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By hapjack:
Oh, I like that !
View Quote

Me too!

I started collecting Colt’s snake guns a few months ago. Freaking love them!
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 5:53:15 AM EDT
[#18]
5" Anaconda, please.
View Quote

In .41 Mag
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 9:31:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Surfgun] [#19]
That 2.5” looks better than the 3”!  Just long enough for the ejector rod.
Sorry, but the 5” Python, just looks wrong (with the vent spacing).
Link Posted: 9/2/2023 10:03:44 PM EDT
[#20]
3” & 2.5”

Added stags and Wilson sights.

Link Posted: 9/3/2023 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Really want a 4.25". But want BLUE!
Link Posted: 9/3/2023 4:58:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Surfgun] [#22]
Hmm’ if Colt does not come out with a .454 Anaconda, a .45 Colt cylinder could also be cut to accept ACP and is plenty strong enough for .45 Winchester Magnums as well.  So either hot .45 Colts or the Winchester Magnum can be used higher levels of boom, boom!
Link Posted: 9/9/2023 4:36:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Y-T71:

In .45 Colt...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
5" Anaconda, please.

In .45 Colt...

Might as well make it a .454 this time around.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 12:10:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By thebert:
Really want a 4.25". But want BLUE!
View Quote

Does it have to be "blued" or just black?

If it doesn't have to be actually blued, you can try to order a python from the custom shop with their polished black DLC coating. Looks almost as good as the old royal blued finish but will hold up to wear a lot better.

Link Posted: 9/10/2023 2:34:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

If it doesn't have to be actually blued, you can try to order a python from the custom shop with their polished black DLC coating. Looks almost as good as the old royal blued finish but will hold up to wear a lot better.

https://www.coltforum.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.coltforum.com/attachments/87538deb-4eec-4348-b309-b82332a4d040-jpeg.784809/
View Quote

I’d be all over that if it were offered.
Link Posted: 9/10/2023 9:52:47 PM EDT
[#26]

I’d be all over that if it were offered.
View Quote

It is offered, just not as a standard catalog item. Custom shop only. Look at the label. This wasn't sent to the CS to be DLC'ed, it was ordered and produced that way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 2:58:39 PM EDT
[#27]

It is offered, just not as a standard catalog item. Custom shop only. Look at the label. This wasn't sent to the CS to be DLC'ed, it was ordered and produced that way.
View Quote

If you wouldn’t mind, what’s the extra cost to have DLC applied?
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LesBaer45:
5" Anaconda, please.

In .45 Colt...

Yeas please. 4" .
But all I am gonna shoot out of it is 45clot.
If i want to spank something with a revolver I have a 460 and 500.
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#29]

In .45 Colt...
View All Quotes
5" Anaconda, please.

In .45 Colt...

I was going to say 4" but I can live with the 5".
Link Posted: 11/18/2023 2:31:12 PM EDT
[#30]
To each their own but these "snubnose" Pythons seem really retarded to me. The whole point of a snubnose is to have a small, compact and lighter weight gun for carry/SD so why would anybody want a snubnose with a heavy ass target frame and target sights? Just my opinion but of you want a target gun, get a Python with the 4.25 or 6" barrel. If you want a snubnose for carry, get a Cobra (2.5") or King Cobra with the (3" barrel). if you want a snubnose for target shooting then

But like I said, to each their own. It's no skin off my ass if some people want them for whatever and Colt is willing to make them. What does however kind of chap my ass is... Colt has a whole catalog of guns that nobody can find anywhere. How about they stick to making the guns they already catalog and save the new models for after they get caught up making the existing models? Crazy I know lol
View Quote

I'll answer that, they are pretty useful to me but "my" whole purpose of a snub doesn't match "your" whole purpose at all.
I like large(er) frame guns of all sorts as they are easier/quicker to shoot fast(er), they give me more to hold onto.
J-frame size guns are neatly tiny but a chore for me, K-frame & up are easier to grip and have more room for the moving parts to have a better trigger.
The short barrel makes them easier for 2 things, cover with a shorter shirt and carry horizontal in a shoulder holster (which is very nice if spending a lot of time driving).
People (a few) want at times a short barrel but in a K, L, N frame, Ruger Super Redhawk () size gun. My 2 1/2" old/blue Python is very handy at times and I have no need for a smaller lighter gun most days. My brother owns or has owned (I believe) every major model of J-frame snub going all the way back, I know he owns every scandium frame J-frame ever made so his use differs quite a bit from mine

Link Posted: 11/19/2023 9:15:38 PM EDT
[#31]

https://www.coltforum.com/cdn-cgi/image/format=auto,onerror=redirect,width=1920,height=1920,fit=scale-down/https://www.coltforum.com/attachments/87538deb-4eec-4348-b309-b82332a4d040-jpeg.784809/
View Quote

Heck yeah!
Would love to know how to go about getting one finished like that.
Link Posted: 11/28/2023 7:33:46 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm glad to see they're expanding the revolver line!  Now if they'd just make an alloy J framish sized snubbie for me....
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#33]
View All Quotes
No idea? Not my gun

Originally Posted By JTMcC:
I'll answer that, they are pretty useful to me but "my" whole purpose of a snub doesn't match "your" whole purpose at all.
I like large(er) frame guns of all sorts as they are easier/quicker to shoot fast(er), they give me more to hold onto.
J-frame size guns are neatly tiny but a chore for me, K-frame & up are easier to grip and have more room for the moving parts to have a better trigger.
The short barrel makes them easier for 2 things, cover with a shorter shirt and carry horizontal in a shoulder holster (which is very nice if spending a lot of time driving).
People (a few) want at times a short barrel but in a K, L, N frame, Ruger Super Redhawk () size gun. My 2 1/2" old/blue Python is very handy at times and I have no need for a smaller lighter gun most days. My brother owns or has owned (I believe) every major model of J-frame snub going all the way back, I know he owns every scandium frame J-frame ever made so his use differs quite a bit from mine
There is always going to be that one guy lol

To each their own but I still image that you are in a very small minority? I'd bet that most of these are being sold to collectors who just want the complete set. Colt could make a 1" barrel version and there are people that would buy it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish they'd make a real 4-inch Python, not a Canadian 4.25.  If they did, I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#35]
'Rick' has a backup...
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:17:24 AM EDT
[#36]
I don’t want a fancy silver plated wussy pistol, I want a blues, 4” Python to accompany my Diamondback.

Diamondback Cylinder Smoke by FredMan, on Flickr

Diamondback Left by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:38:45 AM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I agree.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:48:42 AM EDT
[#38]
3” & 2.5”

Added stags and Wilson sights.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/54333/IMG_0351-2940512.jpg
View Quote

What kind of front sight/height did you use and can you get the point of aim/impact right with your chosen load?

Is the rear notch width in the Wilson sight wide enough for older eyes?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:11:05 AM EDT
[#39]
Colt just dropped another new Python for revolver lovers....the Colt Python Combat Elite.  Basically your standard 3" Python only with shortened G10 grips, a nonfluted cylinder, a new night sight for the front. Too bad it doesn't have the Combat Elite name on the barrel.

A few weeks ago, Colt also added the bead blasted finish on the Python line for those that like a matte finish instead of the shiny stainless steel.  Colt has just about any barrel length anyone could want, with models sporting 2.5", 3, 4.25", 5", and 6".  Two finishes, shiny Stainless steel, and bead blasted stainless.

All they need now is either a blued or black DLC coating.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:24:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BM-ARM-DPMS-guns] [#40]
Originally Posted By Cheesebeast:

What kind of front sight/height did you use and can you get the point of aim/impact right with your chosen load?

Is the rear notch width in the Wilson sight wide enough for older eyes?

Thanks.
View Quote

I used the Wilson front sight. Works fine with the ammo I have on hand. My 64yo eyes seem to like them.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#41]

I used the Wilson front sight. Works fine with the ammo I have on hand. My 64yo eyes seem to like them.
View Quote

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 12/20/2023 10:48:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MouseBoy] [#42]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
No blue, no like.
View Quote

4.25 or 5" carbon steel blued Anaconda with wood gripes =

Attachment Attached File

I'm not a fan of stainless steel. IMO, the SS that are used on pistols is inferior compared with most vintage carbon steel in hardness and durability.

I owned a SS Python and the thing scratched pretty easy.  Never had that problem with the old blued Colts.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:18:34 PM EDT
[#43]
I'd love a Combat Elite if it was black DLC.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:43:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rlbuzz] [#44]
For all of you saying that if Colt offered the Python in a blued finish, I'd buy one, well your excuse not to buy is officially over.

Colt now has a steel, blued version of the Python available in 4" and 6" versions.  And it's available right now at a MSRP of $1599.  Colt did it right and has the new model out now, right after it's announcement and has beat out all of the Gunbroker sellers who usually mark their selling price way up on new products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63DFcyF7VzE
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:12:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gullskjegg] [#45]
Originally Posted By rlbuzz:
For all of you saying that if Colt offered the Python in a blued finish, I'd buy one, well your excuse not to buy is officially over.

Colt now has a steel, blued version of the Python available in 4" and 6" versions.  And it's available right now at a MSRP of $1599.  Colt did it right and has the new model out now, right after it's announcement and has beat out all of the Gunbroker sellers who usually mark their selling price way up on new products.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63DFcyF7VzE
View Quote

This is the best thing at Shot in my opinion.

But, I already have a 4.25 Python, my sights are possibly set on a Combat Elite which I wish was DLC black or PVD FDE, to put an RMR on.

Or RMR my Anaconda and/or 22 King Cobra.

I'm very wishy washy and procrastinate too much about my guns.  I just don't like quantity anymore.  Small but quality collection.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:26:28 PM EDT
[#46]
No idea? Not my gun

To each their own but I still image that you are in a very small minority? I'd bet that most of these are being sold to collectors who just want the complete set. Colt could make a 1" barrel version and there are people that would buy it.
View All Quotes
No idea? Not my gun

Originally Posted By JTMcC:

I know a few guys carrying 2-3" L frames.
Link Posted: 2/2/2024 1:27:04 PM EDT
[#47]
I want to see a modern 1917
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top