Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/23/2024 8:33:28 PM EDT
For a bedside gun? Any functioning problems or not worth any headaches?

Basically a stock G34 with an RDS, 9mm+P, and a Surefire light. It's got a threaded bbl, but I could always just put a thread protector on it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:44:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#1]
Should have been a poll.

1. Add Suppressor
2. Choose larger caliber Glock 35
3. 1911 or go home
4. Add Comp direct gas up to mitigate severe 9mm recoil.
5. Add tripod & training wheels
6. Thread protector will do till suppressor gets out of jail.

I’m going with #2 only because I have a 35 but no 34
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 8:49:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#2]
I like comped 9mm handguns but I really wouldn’t bother with it on a 34. Can take some tweaking to get them to run depending on the comp

If I did I’d have it ported. Works better anyway
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 9:02:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Urimaginaryfrnd:
Should have been a poll.

1. Add Suppressor
2. Choose larger caliber Glock 35
3. 1911 or go home
4. Add Comp direct gas up to mitigate severe 9mm recoil.
5. Add tripod & training wheels
6. Thread protector will do till suppressor gets out of jail.

I’m going with #2 only because I have a 35 but no 34
View Quote

I don't do multi-option polls because it smacks of GD without providing useful information.
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Strela:
For a bedside gun? Any functioning problems or not worth any headaches?

Basically a stock G34 with an RDS, 9mm+P, and a Surefire light. It's got a threaded bbl, but I could always just put a thread protector on it.
View Quote

I would say no.  You will probably be blind after the first shot anyway.
JD
Link Posted: 4/23/2024 10:04:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#5]
Correct answer is a suppressor, either sound or flash.

Compensators tend to be louder from the shooters position likely with increased flash. I’m inclined to say: go to a Smith Vortex flash suppressor instead that spins gasses forward saving your vision.
https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/pn-1001v-g6a3-cz-9mm-vortex-1-2x28/

Link Posted: 4/23/2024 11:33:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Correct answer is a suppressor, either sound or flash.

Compensators tend to be louder from the shooters position likely with increased flash. I’m inclined to say: go to a Smith Vortex flash suppressor instead that spins gasses forward saving your vision.
https://www.smithenterprise.com/product/pn-1001v-g6a3-cz-9mm-vortex-1-2x28/

View Quote

I've used numerous Vortex FHs on ARs, but never on a handgun. Won't the weight affect functioning?

As far as flash, I'm sure a 9mm comp can't be worse than the 5.56 AR next to the bed.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:19:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#7]
AR will likely have a flash suppressor even if it’s the standard one it won’t be directing gas back.

Smith Vortex on a threaded Glock 34 should be good to go. The weight forward isn’t much certainly not as much as a weapon light. If anything it should not only help significantly reduce flash while weight forward reduces muzzle flip, not that a 9 with that much barrel length has much recoil but the fact that it does not re direct gases back or add back pressure but instead spins the gasses forward should be the most desirable and beneficial outcome as it reduces flash saving your vision allowing you to aim after the first shot, reduces muzzle flip, and in the event the flash suppressor is in direct contact with the body of your attacker you get “blow bye” not “blow back” . With  “blow back” the un- modified barrel upon firing in direct contact with the attacker’s body causes vacuum pressure that sucks blood etc back into the barrel causing a failure. With the flash suppressor the holes along its sides mitigate that and the blood etc sprays to the sides not entering the barrel. Yes it will look different but range test it at night to see how much it mitigates the flash. Want to test “blow by” put it up against a steak.

I’ve run a modified Smith Vortex  (5/8 24 reamed to .500 on a lathe) on .44 & .45 with good results.

The difference is what direction the gas goes.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]
AR will likely have a flash suppressor even if it’s the standard one it won’t be directing gas back.

Smith Vortex on a threaded Glock 34 should be good to go. The weight forward isn’t much certainly not as much as a weapon light. If anything it should not only help significantly reduce flash while weight forward reduces muzzle flip, not that a 9 with that much barrel length has much recoil but the fact that it does not re direct gases back or add back pressure but instead spins the gasses forward should be the most desirable and beneficial outcome as it reduces flash saving your vision allowing you to aim after the first shot, reduces muzzle flip, and in the event the flash suppressor is in direct contact with the body of your attacker you get “blow bye” not “blow back” . With  “blow back” the un- modified barrel upon firing in direct contact with the attacker’s body causes vacuum pressure that sucks blood etc back into the barrel causing a failure. With the flash suppressor the holes along its sides mitigate that and the blood etc sprays to the sides not entering the barrel. Yes it will look different but range test it at night to see how much it mitigates the flash. Want to test “blow by” put it up against a steak.

I’ve run a modified Smith Vortex  (5/8 24 reamed to .500 on a lathe) on .44 & .45 with good results.

The difference is what direction the gas goes.
View Quote

The flash/blast from a 5.56, no matter how good a (non-suppressor) flash hider, is much more severe than any standard 9mm round

There's a difference between weight attached to the frame and hanging off the end of the bbl with a modified Browning-style locking system.

.44 & .45 revolvers?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:51:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#9]
Glock 21 👍
Henry X.  👍

Why would you think there would be a significant difference between the weight of a compensator vs the Smith Vortex?
Lots of people are running compensators on pistols. If that’s the route you prefer it’s ok it still gives blow by not blow back.

9mm compensators

I guess I think it would work on a Glock 34 because it works on a Glock 21…. Your mileage may vary, but where do you think the weight of a sound suppressor is?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:31:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I put a comp on a Gen 4 34 years ago for fun and it sucked. It wouldn't cycle half of the stuff I had on hand (mostly 115 and 124 blaster rounds), stovepipe 5-6 times a mag, lazy ejection, etc.

Looked kind cool...but was a waste of time overall.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:40:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jrs93accord] [#11]
I would not bother with a comp on a G34 for general purpose use. I would just throw a thread protector on the barrel and call it good.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 12:48:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Urimaginaryfrnd] [#12]
Surely someone here is running a sound suppressor on a Glock 34.  It would be great to know their thoughts on this.

https://lonewolfdist.com/lwd-flash-hider-9mm/
This Might work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:59:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KILLERB6:
If your plan is to shoot it indoors, suppress it.
View Quote

What he said!!  ^^^^^
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:14:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Glock 21 👍
Henry X.  👍

Why would you think there would be a significant difference between the weight of a compensator vs the Smith Vortex?
Lots of people are running compensators on pistols. If that’s the route you prefer it’s ok it still gives blow by not blow back.

9mm compensators

I guess I think it would work on a Glock 34 because it works on a Glock 21…. Your mileage may vary, but where do you think the weight of a sound suppressor is?
View Quote

Because less than one ounce for a Faxon comp vs. 3 ounces for a Smith Vortex would I think make a difference in functioning on a Browning-style system. My Gemtech Vortex can (no booster) is really light, but it will only function reliably on a Beretta.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:09:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw] [#16]
Personally, I don't see the benefit on a G34 size gun. The recoil is very little due to it's longer barrel/slide. At night, the escaping gases/flash from a comp could play havoc with your vision. With that said, I have a few pistols with a comp but I don't use one for a night stand/home defense gun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:40:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I would find a ported barrel on ebay.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top