Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/6/2024 1:19:59 AM EDT
Getting latarget  surgery ( torn labrum) soon and about the only exercise will be outdoors walking…a lot.  I’ll be in a sling for the better part of 2 months and it just dawned on me, I don’t have a left handed holster and while I make an effort to shoot both dominant and non dominant, this will be an adjustment.

I’ll also swap a few mag releases to the other side. Does anyone else carry when their dominant arm is in a sling?
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 2:13:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 440roadrunner] [#1]
LOL.  The correct answer is DA  revolver

LOL  I sure have no good answer.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:26:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Practice with the mag release where it is. I find mag drops with the trigger finger are fast smooth and don’t require a grip shift like using the thumb. Much more efficient so much so I think mag catches should be designed that way. Get one of those trigger guard covers ( if you have a glock) and put the gun in the sling as a holster. Or a J frame in a pocket holster. You are stuck with the sling, so use it as your holster!
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 9:41:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I am militantly left handed. Mag release on the right side of the gun is a must for me.

Your not going to be doing John Wick style mag changes with your arm in a sling.  Leave the mag release as is.  Racking the slide may also be difficult.

Don't carry while on pain killers.

You are looking at more than two months before you can go back to primary gun strong side.  Your going to need some PT when your arm comes out of that sling.  You are going to lose some hand strength during that time.

This may be a good excuse to buy a 22lr revolver.  Like you said, compromised carry.

It is hard to accept reality.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Some good insight, sling holster…something to think about.

Definitely not carrying on meds, just like I wouldn’t after a drink. I would be indoors if I was feeling bad enough to still be popping pills. I’m not typically a “soft target”, but could see myself being one in a sling.

Link Posted: 4/26/2024 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#5]
My brother in law carried a Taurus 85 in his sling after surgery,

I bought a left handed holster off of eBay for my Ruger SP101 after mine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:55:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I had hand reconstruction on my strong hand.  Bought a left hand holster and said fuck it. Also started carrying a weak side dagger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top