Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 1/22/2024 11:11:13 AM EDT

https://danieldefense.com/daniel-h9.html

It's finally back. I've been waiting for this for my whole life, or so it feels.
I'll be buying this immediately. Just need to decide on optic, weaponlight, and leather holster (TT Gunleather most likely).
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:13:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: medicmandan] [#1]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:18:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Push the plate of scrapple back and educate us on what makes this so desirable. This is the first I have heard of this pistol.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:48:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
Push the plate of scrapple back and educate us on what makes this so desirable. This is the first I have heard of this pistol.
View Quote

Great question.
Well the original Hudson H9 was a pretty cool pistol, ergonomic and innovative, but it had quality control issues and the business went under. They also made some poor business choices with regards to announcing new products before they were ready, stifling sales of their already existing pistol.

Daniel Defense bought the rights to the pistol and improved durability, reliability, ergonomics, and modularity. And now we have this.

As far as what makes it so desirable, it's really up to the buyer. For me, it just has all the features that I'm looking for in a pistol, notably the M1911 style trigger, low bore axis, and magazine capacity

I'm sure it's not the best pistol available, and it's certainly not the cheapest, but I just really like the idea, and coupled with Daniel Defense quality, I think this is a real winner. I can already tell it's going to be my everyday carry, replacing pretty much everything else. As long as it lives up to the Daniel Defense name.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 12:54:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 1:13:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Its nice, but not worth $1300. I will say its priced better than I thought it would be, but not by much.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks awesome! But.... I still don't see why it's worth 2-2.5x [insert your favorite $500-$750 striker fired polymer framed Glock 19 sized (or similar) handgun here].
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:16:20 PM EDT
[#7]
meh
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I've shot an Hudson a few times.

I love'd the concept.

Will be following this.

The Hudson H9 is Back? The Daniel Defense H9 Pistol!
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 8:20:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -KentuckyWindage-] [#9]

I will buy one or two of the DD version
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.instagram.com/p/C2Z0lPiL8t5/?igsh=dWozdG96NnQ2YTRs

Some nice pics and comparisons. The Surefire X300U sits up higher on the gun than the original Hudson which is nice. It still hangs like a 1911 or USP with a rail adapter. Oh well.

I’ve played with a few Hudsons and I really liked the guns. I’ve heard rumors of DD holding this gun back for quite a while now while they sort out kinks and are completely happy with the gun. I’m hyped.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By kurzmannon:

Some nice pics and comparisons. The Surefire X300U sits up higher on the gun than the original Hudson which is nice. It still hangs like a 1911 or USP with a rail adapter. Oh well.

I’ve played with a few Hudsons and I really liked the guns. I’ve heard rumors of DD holding this gun back for quite a while now while they sort out kinks and are completely happy with the gun. I’m hyped.
View Quote

That's a good comparison... I wonder how the trigger compares to a 1911...

If it's really good, this may be more of a 2011 competitor than the Echelon, PDP, or Glock comparison that initially came to my mind.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 11:38:48 PM EDT
[#12]
The Hudson was an interesting concept gun that should have never went into production when it did because it was far from ready. Clearly Daniel Defense learned this the hard way since they pretty much had to completely redesign the pistol at some great expense. I wonder if this ended up being one of those situations where it was so expensive they just didn’t want to give up on it and continued to develop it. I’m sure DD will sell a few but I don’t see these going really far in 2024.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:28:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:53:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By NN300BLK:
Looks awesome! But.... I still don't see why it's worth 2-2.5x [insert your favorite $500-$750 striker fired polymer framed Glock 19 sized (or similar) handgun here].
View Quote

The H9 is an all steel gun, not a polymer framed one.
Considering what Walther is asking for a steel PDP, this is not a bad buy at all, assuming the gun is reliable unlike the original version.
They are a really interesting design if you have ever handled/shot one.  They have virtually no muzzle flip and track extremely well due to the design.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:18:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By ken_mays:
As much as I like the idea of rolling the dice on v1.0 of a new redesign, I think I'd counsel waiting until these get a bit of a track record, unless you're OK with the possibility of not getting your money out of it until it becomes a C&R.
View Quote

The original Hudson was version 1. This is version 2, and Daniel Defense appears to have really taken the time to fix the gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:27:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms] [#16]
I'm interested, here's someone actually shooting it:

Hipster gun reborn - Daniel Defense H9 - worth the wait.

Looks like it shoots well
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:15:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By HellioN:
[Deleted]
View Quote

Same here.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:48:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:59:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, ill own one for sure. If the trigger pull on it is what i think it should be, it just might replace my beloved m&p's for my edc...
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
btw, anyone know what this is? takedown lever?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Should have made it take Glock 17 mags.   Would have been genius
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#22]
Sorta want
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:16:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Sort of want.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 1:56:02 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By trio:  Should have made it take Glock 17 mags.   Would have been genius
View Quote

Platypus already does that.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By PRYDE:

Considering what Walther is asking for a steel PDP, this is not a bad buy at all, assuming the gun is reliable unlike the original version.
They are a really interesting design if you have ever handled/shot one.  They have virtually no muzzle flip and track extremely well due to the design.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I never had a chance to try the original unfortunately.

It appears that Daniel switched to an aluminum frame-- the new H9 is a compact-sized, 15 round, aluminum framed gun weighing in at 29.6 oz according to their website. Isn't the steel PDP a somewhat heavy, competition-geared gun?

If so, I'm not sure it's completely fair or completely unfair to compare it to either a G19 or the steel PDP-- or maybe even a 2011 at a similar price point. It will be interesting to see if this gives the Alien a run for its money or if this is intended to be a premium carry gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:27:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By trio:
View Quote

That would be the worst idea as the size and thickness of the Glock magazine makes every gun that takes it have the same blocky rectangular grip as the Glock.  Better idea would be for p320 or M&P magazines.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:28:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 2:34:00 PM EDT
[#29]

That would be the worst idea as the size and thickness of the Glock magazine makes every gun that takes it have the same blocky rectangular grip as the Glock.  Better idea would be for p320 or M&P magazines.
View Quote

At least the DD Magazines are only $25.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 6:22:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Fugly. Pass!
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Scrapple] [#31]
Originally Posted By kurzmannon:

View Quote

Here are some of them. I'd love to see it with a Surefire XR1 or Streamlight TLR7A
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 8:18:24 AM EDT
[#32]

View All Quotes

My issue with anything taking P320 mags is how incredibly overpriced they are.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Will buy the moment it comes out
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 4:55:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Solo_:
Will buy the moment it comes out
View Quote

they are already taking preorders
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:03:45 PM EDT
[#35]
Maybe I'm petty, but that trigger detracts from the rest of the pistol.

The bottom pivot safety lever is ugly af.  

I'm out. And I like the concept.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 5:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By King_Mud:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By trio:  Should have made it take Glock 17 mags.   Would have been genius

Probably why Magpul is now shipping P320 mags.
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 10:19:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Voland:
btw, anyone know what this is? takedown lever?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/136881/dd_jpg-3104612.JPG
View Quote

Yes it is
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#38]

When I look at these I just don’t feel inspired. I’m not sure in 2024 that this brings anything new to the market. It’s coming into a market that is saturated by striker fired guns of every sort and a plethora of Gen 3 Glock reskins. At that price point they are up against a lot of proven and well supported designs. Even less expensive guns can be tuned and would probably better. I have around $1,200 in my Glock 45 Ramjet base and I have no doubts about its reliability and if it does break I know I can get parts easily. I get the impression that the only people the H9 is going to appeal to are the hipsters who will by it because it isn’t mainstream.

Link Posted: 1/25/2024 9:26:30 PM EDT
[#39]

That's a good comparison... I wonder how the trigger compares to a 1911...

If it's really good, this may be more of a 2011 competitor than the Echelon, PDP, or Glock comparison that initially came to my mind.
View Quote

The Hudson was utter shite compared to a production 1911, haven’t handled the DD version yet
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:06:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

View All Quotes

Are they any good? The Glock mags are a wee bit inconsistent.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

They were announced yesterday?  Perhaps the Texas Guard will test some shortly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:55:07 AM EDT
[#42]
He likes it:

Is Daniel Defense's First Handgun Worth It? | Daniel H9
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 8:51:50 AM EDT
[#43]
I was interested until I saw how low a light sits on that rail.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 10:42:32 AM EDT
[#44]
View Quote

No idea how they would have been able to get 15 rounds into a 1911-width grip using Glock mags...
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 5:02:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By kemikos:

No idea how they would have been able to get 15 rounds into a 1911-width grip using Glock mags...
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kemikos:

This is why I thought P365 mags would have been a solid choice. The Macro mag is 17 rounds and is roughly the same width of a 1911 grip.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 10:04:19 AM EDT
[#46]
From my understanding, the magazine used in this is based on the Springfield Hellcat.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 11:11:39 AM EDT
[#47]
I have the original and will grab one of these at some point, but I want to see some reviews and let the price settle first
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 2:58:16 PM EDT
[#48]
While I don't think it is worth the current asking price, I'm glad to hear that it hasn't gone completely away.  Over time, I imagine that the marketplace will determine it's price point after the initial "I gotta have one right away" people pay extra high prices in order to get one quickly.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 3:05:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#49]
$1000 street for a metal framed red dot cut pistol is about on par with the market, and actually on the low side. Minus Beretta there’s not a lot of options at $1k or less from a 1st world country.

I’m definitely interested. Mags are listed at $25 which is a damn good selling point too.
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#50]
Gunbroker is listing a bunch mostly above 1300USD.

Probably people willing to have it at all costs.
I'll wait until it comes down a bit
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top