Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2023 8:24:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: USPguy]
Anyone else have one?

I bought mine used several years ago but haven't shot it yet. No box but condition is easily excellent, IMO.

Curious about what sort of accuracy I should expect with good ammo? As good as a Smith revolver, I would think?
Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased my Diamondback .22lr about 18-20 years ago.  I saw it in the case at the lgs and jumped on it.
I rarely shoot it, but it is very accurate with Ely target ammo.

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 11:59:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I would expect the same level of accuracy as a S&W 17, which can be stellar
I would recommend standard velocity ammo as most likely to give best accuracy, and something from Europe like SK eley lapua rws.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 3:45:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Like any 22 LR gun, you just have to keep trying different brands of ammo until you find one your gun likes. Might be the expensive Eley etc target ammo, might be somebody's bulk ammo that comes loose in a plastic tub or a milk carton, you just never know with 22's.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:34:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Because of the old Colt "Bank Vault" lock up, the chances are that a Diamondback in proper working order will shoot better groups then a S&W, assuming you have a 6 inch Diamondback or some sort of 4 inch S&W.

As above, buy as many brands and types of .22 ammo that you can find and shoot for the best groups.....then buy a LOT of that ammo.
Link Posted: 3/9/2023 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Because of the old Colt "Bank Vault" lock up, the chances are that a Diamondback in proper working order will shoot better groups then a S&W, assuming you have a 6 inch Diamondback or some sort of 4 inch S&W.

As above, buy as many brands and types of .22 ammo that you can find and shoot for the best groups.....then buy a LOT of that ammo.
View Quote

Mine is a 4", so that's that.

Yeah, I'm well schooled in .22 ammo variances. I shoot SK in my Anschutz rifle. I also own a Hammerli International & a Walther GSP, so I've got some nice shooters.  
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:19:09 AM EDT
[#6]
It was just maybe 5 to 6 yrs bak I saw a 4 in Diamondback for 499 at a shop and left with out it kick myself now .
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 4:20:06 AM EDT
[#7]
It was just maybe 5 to 6 yrs bak I saw a 4 in Diamondback for 499 at a shop and left with out it kick myself now .
Link Posted: 3/24/2023 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File

They are nice shooters.

They USED to be reasonably priced.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:35:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By fxntime:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_1829__1__JPG-2757007.JPG

They are nice shooters.

View Quote

I paid $1400 for mine about 6-7 years ago. No box but gun was 98% or so. Just beautiful.
Link Posted: 4/11/2023 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By USPguy:

I paid $1400 for mine about 6-7 years ago. No box but gun was 98% or so. Just beautiful.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/32224/IMG_1829__1__JPG-2757007.JPG

They are nice shooters.

Don't even ask what I paid, you'd get PO'ed.

Same show I snagged a WW2 Reissue for about 1/2 the normal selling price. And a $400 FAL [Imbel lower, Austrian upper]
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 8:33:41 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

Nah, I'm cool with people scoring good deals.  

I got my H&K P7M8 for $599, so I know what a score can be like.
Link Posted: 4/12/2023 6:13:41 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I STILL kick myself in the arse for missing out on the P7M8's when they were reasonable in price. I kept meaning to buy one when the were around 7-750 and kept putting it off. BIG mistake. Same for the $350 Mateba .357.
Link Posted: 4/14/2023 7:46:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#13]

I bought this one LNIB a few years ago.  Worst action of any pistol I have ever owned.  The chambers in the cylinder looked like they were carved, not machined.

I bought it because I might never have another chance to buy one again.

With a lot of patience, some help from Lance at TriggerShims.com, parts from E-Bay and some further help from my friends at Brush Research I was able to make this a very smooth shooter.

I will NEVER own another Diamondback unless I get to shoot it first.  It was too much nerve wracking work trying to not muck the gun up but actually fix it up proper.

That being said.  Once I got this thing to shoot.  Holy Shit!  Does it shoot!  It is easily as accurate as any of my 1980s and 1990s Smith 17s.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top