Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2024 3:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: patw]
My son and I went to the range the other day and brought along a couple guns to shoot. I had an older S&W model 66 I have been wanting to shoot for a while now and finally got the chance. Well, after shooting only a couple rounds out of it in double action, I was able to hit almost the exact same hole from the prior round from about 20 yards away. I am a decent shot but never have I ever been able to do this. After shooting the round, I turned to look at my son and he had the same reaction as me, disbelief and surprise. Another shooter saw it as well and we all just kind of laughed and I said I am done for the day after that. All in all a good day.

Forgot to post pics of the target.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah better to leave happy.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 6:24:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RangeToy] [#2]
Yes and then I keep going instead of leaving on a high note
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:18:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Vehemence] [#3]
Yep. I have a membership to an indoor range that is on my way to and from work. I regularly pop in there to shoot four or five magazines with only five rounds in each with my P365s, before or after my shift.

Here’s the first five rounds at 21 feet after an eight hour shift on my feet with no breaks (from a recent range-stop).

At 49 years old, after a long-ass day of work, with my aging eyes in spectacles, this was a nice way to finish the day.

I’ve found that I enjoy frequent, semi-weekly range visits with low round counts more than I do sporadic visits where I shoot a shit ton of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I fired a 10 shot no-wind 100 yard group from my Steyr SSG69 that was under 3/8 inch.  I put it away and remarked to the shooter next to me " Guess I'm zeroed" and left the range.,
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:32:41 AM EDT
[#5]
The other day I was at my cousin's house for a family get together.  My cousin and I got into a heated discussion about shooting a pistol out to a 100m and beyond.  I said I could hit a target at 200m with my carry pistol and he was adamant that it could not be done with any reasonable amount of accuracy.  So I made a bet $50 I could do it and asked how many shots I get and he said 5 shots to which I agreed.  I have done this before but not very often because my range is rather picky about pistols on the rifle range but a few of the ROs who cruise around on golf carts know me that I can at least keep all the rounds in the berm so I have a decent approximation of where to hold.  With a decent amount of my family all watching to see if I was going to hit it or make a fool of myself I stepped to the edge of his patio to which he pointed out the 200m steel target.  I closed my eyes and took a few deep breathes to calm myself then exhaled deeply and press off my shot which seemed like an eternity waiting to see a splash of dirt or a ding from the steel.  Moments later I get the return of the steel ding and just like that I am up $50.  I did not think I would get it on the first shot I was anticipating seeing a splash and maybe getting it on the 2nd or 3rd shot with a drop correction but the 147gr HST striking that plate sounded all to perfect.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Member of a private club about 15 minutes from the house.  During Lockdown and currently with WfH, I am able to run out there on lunch, put a mag or two through something (usually handgun on the plate rack so I don't have to set up and take down targets) and get back and still have a few minutes of lunch left.  Not quite what the OP is talking about but similar.  As someone else posted, I've gotten to where I enjoy more frequent trips with only a couple guns to focus on rather than the 'take the whole arsenal and be at the range from sunup to sundown.  That's still fun occasionally, but yeah.  Kind of liking the 'let's just run out there real quick' style.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 4:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Happened a couple times.

Once, I was shooting my 6.5 CM AR at 300 yards. Put two ten round groups (one reload) into less than 1.5". With intermittent wind gusts, too. I put the rifle away and called it a day as that was the best I've ever shot.

Sighted in the thermal scope and the IR laser on one of my ARs and put four rounds in a row with each sighting system through the same hole at 25m. Pretty happy with that.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Great shots! That would make my range day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top