Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/4/2023 2:54:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416]
Are these only for range use? I am a revolver newb, my one and only revolver is a new Python and I have been looking around for a holster.

I'd like to be able to wear it wherever, such as in the woods, where twigs and brambles might interact with the trigger so I'm really leery of an exposed trigger. I would want both a thumb strap and a covered trigger.

You can tell me that revolvers have a long DA trigger pull but my Python seems to have a really nice, smooth and NOT that hard to pull trigger.

Anyway. Am I the only one that worries about this? Seems like every holster either has a fully exposed trigger or at least a significant gap inside the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:01:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You are not the only one to have such concerns.  I think it is more of a generational thing.  Young people worry about, whereas older shooters are more used to it, as most of the old holsters were made that way.

I have several old holsters with exposed trigger guards, and after nearly a half century, I haven't had one fail that way.  Not saying it is not possible, just that is my experience.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
I've seen this going back hundred + years. On a double action with a serious pull or a single action carried hammer down, I have no concerns and would carry that way.
Hell I was reading recently about a Texas Ranger that carried a Cocked and Locked, exposed trigger 1911, with the grip safety tied down. That seems like a lot of trust in a single safety but he lived to tell the tale, so I guess it's OK?
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:09:23 PM EDT
[#3]
The holsters with fully exposed triggers are more of a historical thing.  Originates back to the days of single action revolvers which were carried hammer down, so no issue with exposed triggers.  It followed into DA revolvers because of some institutional inertia, and also some older shooting styles focusing on "quick draw" type shooting.  Plus, just a general old-school thought process that didn't worry as much about being 100% "safe".

There are plenty of good modern revolver holster designs that fully cover the trigger and would be a good match for you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:40:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not carry with one.  I have a few old holsters made that way since it was the style at the time.  It was also the style at the time to have zero trigger discipline.

There are plenty of modern leather workers who will make you a quality holster that covers the trigger.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:44:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Covered trigger isn't needed on a double action revolver holster.  For the first hundred years or so that's how double action revolver holsters were made.  Somehow we survived.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 3:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
There were also some NDs where the fool attempted to holster with a finger on the trigger and the holster covered the trigger guard forcing the finger to press the trigger.  The others were where some fool tried to draw with the finger on the exposed trigger and pulled it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PolarBear416] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MarkHatfield:
There were also some NDs where the fool attempted to holster with a finger on the trigger and the holster covered the trigger guard forcing the finger to press the trigger.  The others were where some fool tried to draw with the finger on the exposed trigger and pulled it.
View Quote

I am not worried about a ND on reholstering. I don't do stunts. I always holster slowly and carefully and make sure the barrel is pointed in a safe direction (not my leg) while sliding it back in.

I am worried about a ND in the woods where I often push through branches and brambles. I come home with my share of scratches, the gun needs to be secure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:25:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
Covered trigger isn't needed on a double action revolver holster.  For the first hundred years or so that's how double action revolver holsters were made.  Somehow we survived.
View Quote

I'm a revolver newb so I may be missing something. Explain, mechanically, why it's not needed on a gun that will fire if the trigger is pulled
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#9]
When I was a baby cop in the middle '80s many of us carried revolvers, my department required revolvers.  

The holsters we had at our disposal mostly had exposed trigger guards.  But, they all had a leather strap or thumb break that held the hammer forward on the holstered gun, thereby keeping it from firing.  Nobody had any issues with a secured holster, the revolvers simply could not be fired until the thumb break or strap was opened at the draw.

Hammerless guns were not protected the same way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:19:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Even though a modern double action revolver may seem to have a light DA trigger, in fact the triggers are heavy enough that it's almost impossible to have an AD without a deliberate pull of the trigger.

Given that you have concerns about running the woods and possibly getting a trigger fouled, I'd just buy a modern holster that covers the trigger.
Most all holster makers make versions so you should have no problems finding one.
Among good designs and quality builds for revolvers, there's the Bianchi 111 Cyclone, El Paso Saddlery makes most of their holsters for revolvers and autos, Galco does the same, there's Don Hume, Black Hills Leather, Kirkpatrick Leather, Mernickle, and many others.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:12:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By PolarBear416:

I'm a revolver newb so I may be missing something. Explain, mechanically, why it's not needed on a gun that will fire if the trigger is pulled
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Because there's no real need for it when you have a longish and generally around ten to twelve pound trigger pull in double action trigger pull but mainly because the holsters have a strap or thong over the hammer- hammer can't come back, gun can't fire.  If it bothers you buy a newer style.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:49:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Even though a modern double action revolver may seem to have a light DA trigger, in fact the triggers are heavy enough that it's almost impossible to have an AD without a deliberate pull of the trigger.

Given that you have concerns about running the woods and possibly getting a trigger fouled, I'd just buy a modern holster that covers the trigger.
Most all holster makers make versions so you should have no problems finding one.
Among good designs and quality builds for revolvers, there's the Bianchi 111 Cyclone, El Paso Saddlery makes most of their holsters for revolvers and autos, Galco does the same, there's Don Hume, Black Hills Leather, Kirkpatrick Leather, Mernickle, and many others.
View Quote

That's what led me to create this thread. Browsing those sites pretty much every option I could find has either a fully exposed trigger or a significant gap in that trigger guard.
Link Posted: 12/5/2023 1:57:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#13]
The move away from open trigger guards was as much about weapon retention more than the specific open trigger on double action revolvers.  Increased training especially with semi automatics pushed the finger off the trigger until ready to shoot.   It is still possible to get an AD with a 10-12# DA trigger but not as likely as with some newer semi autos.   Another reason for the finger off the trigger was where Officers learned on revolvers switching to semi autos.  Leaving finger on trigger when holstering led to many people being shot with semi autos while holstering.

As mentioned before, the revolver with a safety strap secured or thumb break holster are safe to carry.   My small PD issued Don Hume black smooth leather River Belts with Jordan border patrol style holster and dump pouches, cuffs and leather case in the late 1970’s.   It was difficult to get the Chief to permit Officer purchased speed loaders use on duty.    That PD used this same equipment till the early 90’s when they adopted 5906 pistols.   The issued model 66’s were very early 1970 models and the first handguns the Department ever purchased.  Previously the Officer had to provide their own handgun and leather equipment.

Prior to the 1970’s there was very little Police training for smaller local Police and Sheriff’s department.   Most training was riding patrol for a day or two with another Police Officer.

Don Hume River Belt pictures 2 1/4” wide.

Don Hume Border Patrol holster for 4” revolver.

Link Posted: 12/5/2023 2:18:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: squirrel_herder] [#14]
You made me curious because I had never really even thought about that before.  I just checked about 8 of my holsters, and only one nylon bianchi for a j frame covered the trigger.  So I put several unloaded revolvers in exposed trigger holsters (leather, kydex and nylon) and attempted to pull the triggers.  All of the holsters are fitted to the guns, no sloppy unlcle mike's or similar, and I was not able to pull the trigger on a single one.  There is so much pressure on the cylinders from the holsters that not a single one would rotate.  I pulled the triggers hard enough I started worrying about damaging them.  I have absolutely no concerns about an ND.

edit to add:  I have continued to futz around with nearly all of my revolvers and their respective holsters.  I still have not found one that could rotate.  I am pretty sure that the hand would fail before it could overcome the friction between the holster and the cylinder.  I am calling this as a none issue with any quality holster.
Link Posted: 12/6/2023 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#15]
I carry with thumb break holsters but it's more because I like the retention feature of the thumb break rather than be worried about the trigger getting snagged. The strap does keep the hammer from being pulled as an extra though.
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 1:06:02 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By squirrel_herder:
You made me curious because I had never really even thought about that before.  I just checked about 8 of my holsters, and only one nylon bianchi for a j frame covered the trigger.  So I put several unloaded revolvers in exposed trigger holsters (leather, kydex and nylon) and attempted to pull the triggers.  All of the holsters are fitted to the guns, no sloppy unlcle mike's or similar, and I was not able to pull the trigger on a single one.  There is so much pressure on the cylinders from the holsters that not a single one would rotate.  I pulled the triggers hard enough I started worrying about damaging them.  I have absolutely no concerns about an ND.

edit to add:  I have continued to futz around with nearly all of my revolvers and their respective holsters.  I still have not found one that could rotate.  I am pretty sure that the hand would fail before it could overcome the friction between the holster and the cylinder.  I am calling this as a none issue with any quality holster.
View Quote

Interesting, I didn't think about the cylinder being unable to turn. How reliable is this? How far loose from the holster does the gun need to move before it'll fire?
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 10:50:04 AM EDT
[#17]

Interesting, I didn't think about the cylinder being unable to turn. How reliable is this? How far loose from the holster does the gun need to move before it'll fire?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By squirrel_herder:

Pretty reliable with good holsters
Link Posted: 12/7/2023 4:40:10 PM EDT
[#18]
A bit OT, but if I were carrying a nice revolver like the Python out in the woods and pushing through brambles, etc., I'd damn sure have it in a flap holster.
Although flap holsters are about as "cool" as wearing crocs with white socks and a fanny pack, they do an excellent job of protecting the gun from foul weather, scratches, etc. in the field.
Unless OP anticipates the need for a super-speed draw while out brush-busting, a flap holster makes more sense than anything.
Link Posted: 12/8/2023 8:34:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Brandi] [#19]
There are two basic retention holster styles for field carrying revolvers.  One that has a strap that goes over just the grip of the gun and leaves the hammer exposed and one that secures the gun and the hammer at the same time.  As I said before, if you use the latter you do not have to worry about having an exposed trigger because it's impossible for the hammer to move.  I use the Bianchi 5BHL for my 629.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2023 11:42:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By PigBat:
A bit OT, but if I were carrying a nice revolver like the Python out in the woods and pushing through brambles, etc., I'd damn sure have it in a flap holster.
Although flap holsters are about as "cool" as wearing crocs with white socks and a fanny pack, they do an excellent job of protecting the gun from foul weather, scratches, etc. in the field.
Unless OP anticipates the need for a super-speed draw while out brush-busting, a flap holster makes more sense than anything.
View Quote

If I've got a gun on my hip, it's there to be drawn with as little delay as possible. I take care of my stuff, but it's all bought to be used, not admired in a display case. The only thing prettier than a museum quality collector piece is a gun that's seen long term, honest wear from use as intended. That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:27:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gnappi] [#21]
Revolvers present no danger of an A/D with an exposed trigger in a holster, that's a concern for polymer pistol shooters.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:23:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Here is the holster that was popular in my area in the early 80s.  I didn't worry about the exposed trigger back then, and I wouldn't worry about it today.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:30:43 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
It doesn't provide an appreciable advantage either.

With a DA revolver, it is theoretically possible to have the trigger snag on something and get pulled, but it's unlikely.

But again, why bother?  Just get a proper holster that covers it and be done.  

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 6:51:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By fla556guy:

With a DA revolver, it is theoretically possible to have the trigger snag on something and get pulled, but it's unlikely.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By fla556guy:

Theoretical? You can't pull the trigger on a revolver in a single holster I own. It's a non issue
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:53:41 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Bought my first revolver in 1976.

*I* would NEVER use a holster with the trigger exposed, regardless of the gun design.

None of the match associations (IDPA, USPSA, etc) allow the use of this type of holster. No clue about the Old West style matches as I've never shot them.

Murphy isn't a theory, it's the LAW. Something will go wrong eventually, IMO. Not worth the chance in any way, shape or form, IMO.

My .o2
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 12:04:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I carry in the woods with a full flap holster. Keeps the gun from getting beat to shit.  No one is holding a timer up beside my ear.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 7:45:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Have you considered a chest rig for woods stomping?

I've never given a thought to exposed triggers on revolver holsters.
As mentioned easy enough to find one that does cover the trigger guard.
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 11:38:04 PM EDT
[#28]
You ain't rotating the cylinder in a holster. Exposed trigger is non issue as long as you aren't carrying with the hammer cocked
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:57:12 PM EDT
[#29]
Ruger SP101® Triple K Belt Holster, LH, 4.2"
Attachment Attached File

I use this for sp101. I hunt in thick woods. A limb pulling trigger or hammer was a huge concern.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:14:09 AM EDT
[#30]
Lots of the old Bianchi, Ross, Brauer, etc. revolver holsters from the 1980's on back didn't cover the trigger or trigger guard.
They seemed to do fine.
I prefer a covered one, but it's not necessary.
For instance, the Bianchi 5BHL used to not cover, while the 111 Cyclone did.  Both are nice holsters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 12:02:11 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve thought about the exposed triggers and appreciate the good info in this thread.

I lean towards covered trigger with quality materials.

I’m deciding whether to have secondary retention with a thumb break strap for brush busting and general woods hiking.  
I’m not very rambunctious anymore these days.
Just more security in case of slips, trips and falls so I don’t lose it.  But I figure a good snug open top might be fine like the Milt Sparks PMK.  
To strap or not to strap - that is my query.  
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:00:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By grendelbane:
Here is the holster that was popular in my area in the early 80s.  I didn't worry about the exposed trigger back then, and I wouldn't worry about it today.
https://i.imgur.com/yysDzg5.jpg
View Quote

I've got some older holsters similar to this, as many people have already said, I don't have any DA revolver holsters (old or newer) that would allow the cylinder to turn when holstered no matter the force applied to the trigger.
I carry late model, covered trigger designs all day but have no issue using an older design if need be.
The covered trigger guard type do keep dust, dirt, sand, tiny airborne debris from building up as fast. And is one less place to hang up on little limbs, brush, etc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 3:06:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JTMcC] [#33]
Originally Posted By Philmore:
I’ve thought about the exposed triggers and appreciate the good info in this thread.

I’m deciding whether to have secondary retention with a thumb break strap for brush busting and general woods hiking.  
Just more security in case of slips, trips and falls so I don’t lose it.  But I figure a good snug open top might be fine like the Milt Sparks PMK.  
View Quote

Good revolver holsters will provide a pretty solid amount of friction retention and it will stay that way for a long time if you buy good quality.
An option other than a strap (and a lot smaller & unobtrusive) that can be added at home to almost any holster is a leather hammer loop made of good quality boot lace. Just takes one hole to add it.
I've done many "rambunctous" activities with a loop, I've never lost a gun.
I've also way in the past, carried a thumb strap holster and only snapped the strap if I had need to.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By JTMcC:

Good revolver holsters will provide a pretty solid amount of friction retention and it will stay that way for a long time if you buy good quality.
An option other than a strap (and a lot smaller & unobtrusive) that can be added at home to almost any holster is a leather hammer loop made of good quality boot lace. Just takes one hole to add it.
I've also way in the past, carried a thumb strap holster and only snapped the strap if I had need to.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTMcC:
Originally Posted By Philmore:

That’s a good idea.  I’ve got an older holster for my Colt Frontier Scout with a leather hammer loop.  Used to ride horses as a kid with it and never lost it.  
It was my first pistol and still makes a trip into the woods occasionally.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top