Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/19/2018 10:26:48 AM EDT

Test Gun: Colt 1991.
Barrel length: 5 inches.
Ammunition: Federal .45 ACP 230gr HST.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: PACT 1 XP with inferred sky screens.
Five shot velocity average: 920fps
Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

Whenever I post a new test, on the several forums I post on, the one response comes up a lot is “I’ll stick with HST” or some variant of that phrase. There is a very good reason for that. The HST is one of the best, if not the best, performers in all of the calibers I have tested it in. This is the first complete test I have done in the .45 ACP and I think this test, of the HST, will set the standard.

I got an average 5 shot velocity of 920fps with a high of 944fps and a low of 902fps. This average was 30fps higher than the advertised 890fps. Five shots at 10 yards were right at the point of aim and recoil was about what you would expect, not much different than most 230gr ball.

Round one in the bare gel had a velocity of 904fps, penetrated to 15 inches and expanded to .91 inches. Round two performed very similar to the first hitting the block at 927fps and matching the first round with 15 inches of penetration and .91 inches of expansion.

The two rounds fired into the heavy clothing covered gel was very much like the two in the bare gel.  The first round had a velocity of 921fps and penetrated to 15.5 inches with an expansion of .82 inches. The last shot traveled at 910fps, expanded to .83 inches and penetrated to 15.25 inches.

I often get asked to post pictures of the gel after I shoot it. I normally don't because they just don't turn out very well or the block is getting dark from remelting. This block has only been reused once I thought I would give it a try.

Here are the first two rounds in bare gel.

With the two rounds through heave clothing.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't own a 45 but if I did, I would load it with HST! Damn. Very impressive.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 10:52:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mcornell] [#2]
Impressive. Thank you for conducting the test and posting the results.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 11:22:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Jeez.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:55:15 PM EDT
[#4]
...doesn't just kill the body. It kills the soul. *stare*

...with apologies to Colion Noir. It was probably better delivered in his video.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:12:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks good! Thanks for the gel pics.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:32:17 PM EDT
[#7]
My round of choice.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:40:26 PM EDT
[#8]
It's hard to believe the Subject Matter Experts who tell us that there is no difference in handgun rounds.

But, they are adamant about it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:07:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By feudist:
It's hard to believe the Subject Matter Experts who tell us that there is no difference in handgun rounds.

View Quote
This is why I ignore them.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 6:47:13 PM EDT
[#10]

View Quote
Interestingly, many of these same experts claim a full wadcutter does more damage to tissue than a round nose. If a trauma surgeon can't tell the difference between a wound caused by 9mm and a wound caused by 45 how can he tell the difference between wounds from 148gr wadcutters and 158gr RNL?
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, but...FBI SCIENCE!!
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:49:03 PM EDT
[#12]
my three 1911's are feed HSTs.

as are all of my 9mms.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 7:52:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Some of you get too wrapped up in this crap. Totally and argumentative consumed by it. And when your narrative falls apart because here is one empirical data proving that your own empirical data is wrong, your anemic attempts to gain back your narrative's momentum hits ad nauseam.

No one is going to concede. Live and let live, enough already.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 9:43:21 AM EDT
[#14]
More is....well, more.

Just as the 9mm benefited from modern bullet design (most especially with the HST) so have all the other calibers. The 9mm loaded with the best modern ammo is good enough while the larger calibers, also benefiting are still better performers terminally. The pro's and con's havnt changed.

I still have no desire to carry a 45 (or 357Mag, 10MM, etc). I did that for years back when 9mm loads were pretty marginal. And I'm too spoiled by my Glock 43 and other small lightweight guns.

Thanks again OP for posting the informative and excellent results.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:28:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Outstanding! Perfect penetration/expansion. Thanks, 5pins!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:23:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Great job !

Thanks for the post !!

Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:31:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Well, but...FBI SCIENCE!!
View Quote
I'm not disputing the FBI testing protocols.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:54:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Melvin_Johnson:

View Quote
No, you are not. He however, is.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By GSL:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

In many ways, yes.

The feebs forced the ammo industry to tighten up their game...but they sniff their own farts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2018 2:01:59 AM EDT
[#20]
That's a nice big fat bullet there, I sure wouldn't mind carrying that round!
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:36:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5pins] [#21]
A friend at work let me use his Glock 30 so I could try them out. No chronograph results this time just two quick shots in bare gel.

Round one out of the Glock 30 penetrated to 14 inches and had a recovered diameter of .92 inches. Round two penetrated to 13.25 inches and expanded to .93 inches.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:45:45 PM EDT
[#22]
We need your threads saved. Like Molon has with a ton of valuable links.

Who's the mod here in Ammunition?

@Zhukov
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:47:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:53:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Me neither, but it's so far is the only thing we've got.

I don't think that you'd be a fan of simtest media either? I calibrated mine properly back when I was into this.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
My round of choice.
View Quote
Indeed
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#26]
It's all saved on my blog.

http://www.general-cartridge.com/blog
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 8:27:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By GSL: I calibrated mine properly back when I was into this.
View Quote
Calibration BB should probably be a part of the drill even if Clear Gel and Ordnance Gel are not the same stuff. If nothing else it would help verify that the synthetic gel is comparable from one melting to the next.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Calibration BB should probably be a part of the drill even if Clear Gel and Ordnance Gel are not the same stuff. If nothing else it would help verify that the synthetic gel is comparable from one melting to the next.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By GSL: I calibrated mine properly back when I was into this.
Stored properly as well as properly molded are also key.

If that bone simulator plate was available back when I started, it would have made for some awesome data thrown in.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:48:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the test! The 230gr HST is my carry load. It seems to perform damn near identical in every test I've seen, and always well. Impressive stuff.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 10:56:57 PM EDT
[#30]

If that bone simulator plate was available back when I started, it would have made for some awesome data thrown in.
View Quote
I need to get me some of that one of these days.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#31]
cool. maybe I'll take it down to 1 or 2 extra mags instead of 3 extra.... just kidding.
Link Posted: 5/23/2018 11:11:00 PM EDT
[#32]
View All Quotes

One could really get it right if it was done smartly.

Two blocks. Two bone plates. Small block with a plate inserted in the middle to represent an arm in the way of POI, space it out because it's obvious that there will be space between the arms and chest, then one bigger block with the plate in front to simulate the rib bone.

Imagine the data! But damn is it going to feel like a job rather than a hobby to help us all.
Link Posted: 5/24/2018 8:37:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:15:20 AM EDT
[#34]
Have you done .40 180 HST or 9mm 124 HST? Did I miss it?
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:04:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 9:19:48 PM EDT
[#38]
I am really impressed with all the HST reviews. I carry it in 9mm.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Agreed. There really isn't anything better on the market. I have both my 9mm and .45s loaded with it.
View Quote
380 and 38 leave a bad taste. The 9, 40, or 45 is where it really shines.

But still no 10mm HST from Federal

In your honest opinion, is the duty caliber HST ever going to be surpassed? I don't think it can personally speaking.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#41]
The 9, 40, or 45 is where it really shines.
View Quote
I carry it in these as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Agreed. There really isn't anything better on the market. I have both my 9mm and .45s loaded with it.
View Quote
10-11 years ago when it was first becoming available I remember a lot of people used to argue it vs Ranger T.

I guess Winchester stopped marketing it or something because now you never hear about the Ranger T.  I stocked up pretty hard on 147 and 230 grain +p HST around '07 or so (when ammotogo was the only place I could find it) and have never looked back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 12:18:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Now if it was the +P version I'd be happy!
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:29:03 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks for the test.  I still have half a case of older 230gr Hydrashoks that my 1911 is loaded with.  Just never home long enough however.

CD
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 6:10:30 AM EDT
[#45]
HST is my second favorite load. According to the official test that both companies use for advertising. The Gold Dot does as good a cross the board but better against glass.

Considering how many cars I'm around all the time I want a little better bullet for barriers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 7:32:38 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote
I’ll play a bit. You are not keeping it in context. Only looking at one aspect. The differences are minor. Almost laughable.
A 5 or 7/1000 of an inch difference in diameter only makes a difference if it actually comes in contact with something important. There simply is not enough energy delivered to the target by most handgun rounds to cause a catastrophic displacement of tissue that the human body does not close around. Just like the gel.

The round expanded and did what it was designed to do. It did not deliver a significantly higher level of lethality.
It delivered a projectile to the target with near the same potential energy as the comparable 9mm or 40 round.
Potential energy (Ft/lbs)..delivered to the target is the only yard stick we have. 9,40,45 basically all max out within a 50ish foot pound swing. All are available in the same bullet style pushing 450-500ft/lbs of energy.
They all get the job done. Made a hole. May or may not come into contact with something important ?
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 9:10:34 PM EDT
[#47]
True but couldn't you say the same thing about fmj?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks OP

My EDC is a Glock 30s

I use the +P version
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:25:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#49]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
I don't own a 45 but if I did, I would load it with HST! Damn. Very impressive.
View Quote
These are what I carry in my Sig P220 and Kimber HDII. 

HST all the things!! I carry them in my 9mm and my .38 too.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:55:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Hey OP

Have you thought about testing the Hornady Critical Duty in 45?

It is supposed to be more of a perpetrator hence the harder compound lead used. I think of it as the next gen XTP and think it may be decent for a woods round.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top