Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2016 11:01:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon]
Federal 9mm Luger (+P) 124 grain HST

Attachment Attached File

Federal’s Premium Law Enforcement Ammunition line-up currently includes four different 9mm Luger loads that utilize 0.355” versions of their hollow-point HST bullet.  As the title states, the plus-P, 124 grain load (P9HST3) will be the focus of this article.

All versions of the 9mm Luger HST ammunition are loaded in nickel-plated, brass cases.  The case-head for the P9HST3 is stamped “F C 9MM + P”.  This version is loaded to a cartridge nominal OAL of 1.100”.  The primers are sealed, but are not crimped in place.  The case mouths are also sealed.  

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The 124 grain HST projectile has a nominal length of 0.595”.  The bullet has a deep cannelure and six skives in the copper jakcet.  The skives on the 9mm HST projectiles are the longest of any of the 9mm Luger law enforcement loads that I’ve evaluated to date.

Attachment Attached File

The 9mm HST projectiles have a very unique construction, in that the lead-core directly beneath the skives has a crown-shaped cut-out.

Attachment Attached File

Federal’s literature claims that the 9mm Luger (+P) 124 grain HST load has a muzzle velocity of 1200 FPS.  When chronographed from my Gen 2 Glock 19 (with the factory original barrel) over an Oehler 35P chronograph, the P9HST3 load had a muzzle velocity of 1215 FPS with a standard deviation of 11 FPS!

Dr. GK Roberts has stated that the 9mm (+P) 124 grain HST rounds “are among the finest 9 mm duty loads currently available.”  Terminal ballistic testing in 10% ordnance gelatin conducted by the good doctor produced the following results . . .

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I evaluated the accuracy of the P9HST3 load from a distance of 25 yards using two different platforms; my Gen 2 Glock 19 and a Colt 6450 with a free-floated Noveske barrel.

Attachment Attached File

When using hand-loads topped with the Hornady 125 grain HAP bullet, my Noveske barreled Colt 6450 has turned in 10-shot groups at 25 yards that have extreme spreads of less than a half-inch.

Attachment Attached File

A 10-shot group of the P9HST3 ammunition fired from the Noveske barreled 6450 at 25 yards had an extreme spread of 0.98”.

Attachment Attached File

Firing from the bench at a distance of 25 yards, my Gen 2 Glock 19 (with the factory original barrel) produced a 10-shot group with an extreme spread of 2.29”.

Attachment Attached File

…..
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 11:26:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the test
Link Posted: 1/9/2016 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/15/2016 4:33:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Molon] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:

Nobody does it better than Molon

View Quote

Well, maybe Carly . . .

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 10:30:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Zhukov:

Thanks for your excellent test!

View Quote

Da nada.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I know you've tested the 147gr HST and I though I saw that the 147 +P was on the to do list.

From your testing do you have a preference for one of the rounds from a small/medium sized barrel..?
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 11:09:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MONGO45:

I know you've tested the 147gr HST and I though I saw that the 147 +P was on the to do list.

From your testing do you have a preference for one of the rounds from a small/medium sized barrel..?

View Quote

Notice which bullet weight in the table shown below looses the smallest percentage of velocity when fired from the short barrel of the MK9, and therefore remains closes to its ideal velocity window.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Molon:

Notice which bullet weight in the table shown below looses the smallest percentage of velocity when fired from the short barrel of the MK9, and therefore remains closes to its ideal velocity window.

http://www.box.net/shared/static/5li8m192c0.jpg

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Isn't the SB 124+p GD designed to operate at a lower velocity though?  So even though it loses almost 6% from what it was through a Glock, shouldn't it's ideal window be what it comes out of the MK9 at?
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 7:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 21BoomCBTENGR:

Isn't the SB 124+p GD designed to operate at a lower velocity though?  So even though it loses almost 6% from what it was through a Glock, shouldn't it's ideal window be what it comes out of the MK9 at?
View All Quotes

I sure hope so, since it has a lower muzzle velocity out of short barrels than the standard 124 grain +P load and it still looses a higher percentage of its velocity than the standard 147 grain load from the short barrel.

Link Posted: 2/14/2016 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#10]

I sure hope so, since it has a lower muzzle velocity out of short barrels than the standard 124 grain +P load and it still looses a higher percentage of its velocity than the standard 147 grain load from the short barrel.

View All Quotes

I know it's not really your thing to do gel, but I'd dearly love to see a comparison in gel of the above rounds/guns
Link Posted: 2/24/2016 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#11]

View Quote

You're not really gaining all that much velocity with the 147 grain +P anyways.   The advertised muzzle velocity of the +P variant is 1050 FPS. I chronographed three different lots of the +P variant from the Glock 19. The average muzzle velocity was 1029 FPS.

Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:37:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By NorCalRT:

Thank you for the test

View Quote

Da nada.  

Link Posted: 12/10/2021 4:06:14 PM EDT
[#13]
broken picture links repaired
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#14]
I have heard that about 8-10 years ago Federal lowered the velocity of their HST 9mm loadings. I believe this was documented by several youtube testers. The velocity drop was only 20-30FPS, basically the +P went down to the non +P velocity. HST in 9mm was very honest with the velocity they stated back then. If the box said 1050fps, you'd probably get 1060 out of a G17. The non +P is listed at 1000FPS and it was not unusual to get over that by a little. This is in contrast to other manufacturers that had measured velocity always a good 50 FPS LOWER than what was on the box.

Molon, have you had the chance to compare new lots of HST to the stuff you tested back in 2016 and prior?
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:32:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the info. I just replaced my 9mm carry ammo couple weeks ago with the 124 HST +P.  Great round.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
I have heard that about 8-10 years ago Federal lowered the velocity of their HST 9mm loadings. I believe this was documented by several youtube testers. The velocity drop was only 20-30FPS, basically the +P went down to the non +P velocity. HST in 9mm was very honest with the velocity they stated back then. If the box said 1050fps, you'd probably get 1060 out of a G17. The non +P is listed at 1000FPS and it was not unusual to get over that by a little. This is in contrast to other manufacturers that had measured velocity always a good 50 FPS LOWER than what was on the box.

Molon, have you had the chance to compare new lots of HST to the stuff you tested back in 2016 and prior?
View Quote

Cor-Bon loads I chronographed always met or exceeded advertised velocities
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:03:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: compuvette] [#17]
Thanks for the info as usual and thanks for fixing the pics.
Link Posted: 12/30/2021 10:10:34 PM EDT
[#18]
As always, thanks for your contributions to the site and our knowledge in the shooting sports.
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ITCHY-FINGER:
View Quote

One of the many things on The List for this summer.

Link Posted: 3/5/2023 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Good confirmation of a good bullet from a trusted source.

Thanks Molon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top