Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/10/2024 12:44:38 PM EDT
It is my understanding that steel CZs are renowned for their close tolerances and precise fitment, especially when it comes to their competition pistols. I have a 12 year old SP-01 Tactical that I can barely get the slide to move left-right at the nose and that has zero perceptible slop at the hammer end.

I recently picked up a new Shadow 2 OR and just gripping it in hand without magazine inserted, I can get the front end to rattle around just by quickly rocking it back and forth. This happens hammer up or hammer down. The lateral slide to frame play is substantial. Is this designed on purpose for some reason? I figured maybe it has something to with barrel bushing tolerances at some stage in the firing cycle of something similar. I haven't even taken the S2 to the range yet. Just lots of racking, dry firing and cleaning out the worn away Polycoat from the rail channels in order to smooth the gun out. I know it is going to loosen up a lot more during the 500 round break in so I am a little concerned that I am going to end up with a very ill-fitting pistol.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 7:15:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the accu shadow 2 orange. Slide is tight even after breakin. P01 tight. 85 combat, has a little bit of side play yet still very accurate.
Try it out first before getting too worried
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:53:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlindFaith429] [#2]
I have a Shadow 2 SA (single action only) model I picked up in May 2022. I dont think it has any play in it, but I will check tonight.

ETA: just checked mine. No rattles with the hammer up or down. There is a slight amount of side-to-side play if I force it, but does not "rattle" or move unless I intentionally push it one way or the other.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 6:55:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: glock24] [#3]
Originally Posted By Advance:
It is my understanding that steel CZs are renowned for their close tolerances and precise fitment, especially when it comes to their competition pistols. I have a 12 year old SP-01 Tactical that I can barely get the slide to move left-right at the nose and that has zero perceptible slop at the hammer end.
View Quote

Yes and no.  It is my understand that only the much more expensive "orange" models actually involve precise fitment.  Every other factory model is a roll of the dice.  I've owned two CZ-75B SAs, two SP-01s, and one Shadow 2.   I was two for five (40%) when it came to a precise slide fit. (CZ-75BSA and SP-01)

The TSO I had was also exceptionally tight.  And I've also purchased a couple of the CZ Custom CZ-75 versions with hand-fitted custom slides.  Also very precise, but much more expensive (obviously)

I personally enjoy a precise slide-to-frame, so if I knew then what I know now, I would have just bought several of the original Shadow Orange pistols and called it a day.  The original CZ-75 frame size works best for me.  My only desire would be for actual checkering (but I digress)

I've even had several custom gunsmiths turn me down when I asked about tightening the slide to frame.  Apparently CZ uses cast steel slides and frames, and they are very hard (brittle).  This is also why hand-checking front straps is near impossible
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 8:03:39 AM EDT
[#4]
It's not really that big of a deal to me as the S2OR is capable of more than I am. I just found it notable that my SP-01 is heads and shoulders above it when it comes to slide/frame fitment. Maybe it has to do with the fact that SP-01s were produced in much lower volume at the time I picked it up. Shadows have somewhat exploded in popularity since that time and I can see tolerances opening up as a result. Sort of reminds me of the difference between German made Sig P models vs. the first few years of American made ones.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 11:35:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just received mine on Tuesday and has almost 0 play between the slide/frame.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:20:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DRNLS:
Just received mine on Tuesday and has almost 0 play between the slide/frame.
View Quote

Oof... That stings... Congrats!

Bwt, how is your trigger? I haven't taken mine out yet as I am waiting on an optic plate (Precision Machine is a great all steel one - Shows as out of stock but they'll ship in under 10 days) but I have racked and dry fired it at least 1K times. Everything is silky smooth except that last bit before the break. It is perfect till the wall and it feels like you hit a cam lobe. After break-in I plan on shooting a parts cannon at it so I am sure CGW's parts address this issue.
Link Posted: 3/16/2024 8:23:31 PM EDT
[#7]
I installed a CGW single action trigger.  Now it has some creep as compared to my OEM single action S2. I can install CGW's manual hammer/sear kit if I want to improve the single action trigger.   I broke down and ordered the optic plate and extended safety from CZparts overseas - 4 to 5 day shipping time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top