Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/6/2024 11:26:01 AM EDT
I’ve been carrying a 19 with no light for 12-13 years. Appendix for 11-12 of those years. I carry 100% of the time when able to and in the summer I’m just over the 19 as far as bulk and convenience when wearing t shirts etc in the warmer seasons.

I’ve been reading about the 48 with shield arms mags with 15 rnd capacity so I’m thinking of going that route since I don’t lose capacity and gain some thinness. I never used a light on the 19, just too much, but always carry a handheld.

With the 48 I’m considering looking at the TRL7 sub light but if it just adds as much bulk as carrying the 19 in the first place I’ll stick with a clean 48 and just count on my handheld if needed.

So any experience with the 48 with light? Is it worth it?
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a G43X with a TLR7 sub that I attempted to carry.
The feel of it compared to my G19 with TLR7A was not much different.

Where I really noticed a difference was initial draw and accuracy. I don’t like the smaller grip.  I am so much more proficient with the G19 that I never made the switch.  

Additionally if you are going to go the PSA or Shield magazine route, make sure they work in your particular gun.  

I have had quite a mixed experience with the same PSA and Shield mags in different guns.  Some work together and some don’t.  
The biggest letdown was that the PSA mags failed all the time in the G43X that I set up with the light and red dot.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:54:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By naes:
I have a G43X with a TLR7 sub that I attempted to carry.
The feel of it compared to my G19 with TLR7A was not much different.

Where I really noticed a difference was initial draw and accuracy. I don’t like the smaller grip.  I am so much more proficient with the G19 that I never made the switch.  

Additionally if you are going to go the PSA or Shield magazine route, make sure they work in your particular gun.  

I have had quite a mixed experience with the same PSA and Shield mags in different guns.  Some work together and some don’t.  
The biggest letdown was that the PSA mags failed all the time in the G43X that I set up with the light and red dot.
View Quote

Thank you for the feedback. My biggest concern is I’m going to get this 48 and will be negligible in the difference to the 19.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a 19 with TLR-1 for duty at previous agency.  my ccw is a 48 with tlr-7 carried owb. love it.  it doesn't feel bulky and when compared to the 19, i can definitely notice how slim it feels in the hand.  when carried, it doesn't feel like i have a brick on my hip.

i tried gen 1 shield magazines. couldn't get 100% reliability out of them
briefly tested PSA 15 round mags and not 100% reliability out of them either but better than the shields. currently running OEM until i can figure out what's up with the PSA's and then run them.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 2:54:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AndBen] [#4]
This is my 48 carry gun, I really like it, it's an MOS, but i had it milled for an RMR. I carry it IWB at 3/4 o'clock. I also carry a G19 OWB for work duty carry. Shield gen 3 mags work for me. While the thinner difference isn't much, it does make a big difference IWB. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 pistol, IMO.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:21:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By AndBen:
This is my 48 carry gun, I really like it, it's an MOS, but i had it milled for an RMR. I carry it IWB at 3/4 o'clock. I also carry a G19 OWB for work duty carry. Shield gen 3 mags work for me. While the thinner difference isn't much, it does make a big difference IWB. There is a noticeable difference between the 2 pistol, IMO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/481934/IMG_4322_jpeg-3181251.JPG
View Quote

Thank you, just what I was looking for.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By nelybarg:
I had a 19 with TLR-1 for duty at previous agency.  my ccw is a 48 with tlr-7 carried owb. love it.  it doesn't feel bulky and when compared to the 19, i can definitely notice how slim it feels in the hand.  when carried, it doesn't feel like i have a brick on my hip.

i tried gen 1 shield magazines. couldn't get 100% reliability out of them
briefly tested PSA 15 round mags and not 100% reliability out of them either but better than the shields. currently running OEM until i can figure out what's up with the PSA's and then run them.
View Quote

Good to know about the mags. I’ll get a couple of each to test out and stick with oem until I can confirm reliability.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I went with the 43xMOS set up like you described. I personally love this set up and it has replaced my G19 completely. It does everything my G19 can…except take 33rnd mags lol. It’s lighter and carries easier. I believe it is a better way for me. I also have smallish hands, so this gun fits my better also.

I could see where guys with gorilla hands might want to stick with G19.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:46:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ak4784:

I could see where guys with gorilla hands might want to stick with G19.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/53193/IMG_5588_jpeg-3181451.JPG
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#9]
When the 48MOS came out I bought the first one I saw.  After mounting a RMRcc on an adapter plate, adding sights so tall they looked goofy and then a TLR7Sub I practically had replicated a slightly less user friendly version of my G19 Gen 5.... except .... the 48 was like Megan Fox while the 19 suddenly looked like the brunette from Two Broke Girls.  You didn't know she was fat until she stood next to the blonde.

That is to say, the 48's appeal is in its width ... not its length.

Add a light.  All SD guns should have one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#10]
All of my "micros" have them ... example given ...

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top