Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2023 11:29:42 AM EDT
Which ammo manufacturer makes cases that fit?
Link Posted: 9/15/2023 11:47:35 AM EDT
[#1]
it works fine

there was a small number of [cough] 38special brass that had trouble

I loaded 357mag brass
win
fed
starline
etc

zero trouble

Link Posted: 9/16/2023 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one but in all fairness it's been probably 4-5 years but it was a 4.2" 7 shot GP100 and it stuck 357 MAG like crazy, had to beat the brass out.  Since then I just stick to 6 shot GP's or if I want 7 shots, get a 686+
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 1:51:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I had one but in all fairness it's been probably 4-5 years but it was a 4.2" 7 shot GP100 and it stuck 357 MAG like crazy, had to beat the brass out.  Since then I just stick to 6 shot GP's or if I want 7 shots, get a 686+
View Quote

I have a newer one, and zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a 2019  7 shot GP100 that binded very bad with multiple brands of ammo.  Ruger took the gun back, said it was not repairable and asked what I wanted to replace it.  A week later I had a 6 shot version.  IMO sloppy tolerances makes some guns run great and others not.  I have never read of any changes to the cylinder to fix it, and if there was Im sure ruger would have prefered to just do that rather than send a new gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2023 8:29:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#5]
Originally Posted By dwb1987:
I bought a 2019  7 shot GP100 that binded very bad with multiple brands of ammo.  Ruger took the gun back, said it was not repairable and asked what I wanted to replace it.  A week later I had a 6 shot version.  IMO sloppy tolerances makes some guns run great and others not.  I have never read of any changes to the cylinder to fix it, and if there was Im sure ruger would have prefered to just do that rather than send a new gun.
View Quote

Same happened to me.  I picked a 6 shot match champion to replace it.

IIRC it was gecco and fiocchi brass mine had trouble with.  I measured them and they were all under the published specs.  It was a defective gun, not the ammo.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 2:17:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is a 2023 production gun, and it works fine with everything I’ve tried in it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By SDGlock23:
I had one but in all fairness it's been probably 4-5 years but it was a 4.2" 7 shot GP100 and it stuck 357 MAG like crazy, had to beat the brass out.
View Quote

I had one of those and Ruger traded me a 6 shot version which I still have.   My 7 shot binded with everything.

Would be open to a new 7 shot as it sounds like issues have been addressed.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 10:32:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Morton_Co:
Would be open to a new 7 shot as it sounds like issues have been addressed.
View Quote

I would if I could take a baggie of ammo to the gun counter and try them out before purchasing it.

Specifically, the one I had bound up at the rims.  Even though they were all under the SAAMI spec, it didnt like the larger ones.  You wouldnt have to take in live ammo.  Just measure the rims of your cases and take in a few dozen of the fattest ones to play with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2023 3:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't had any issues with rim diameter using Federal or Fiocchi ammo.  However, the trigger would seize in the same cylinder rotation.  I sent it back to Ruger on their dime, and they quickly returned it with a note stating they "fit new pawl, adjusted barrel gap, cylinder line-up and end-play. Fired 28 rounds black hills no issues.  Repair, safety function check, range test & cleaning has been completed.  Released for shipping"

And now it's flawless.  I took it to the range this morning and it was great, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought mine in 2019. Could not eject the brass (binding) with Armscor, Magtech, and one other cheap brand.
Have not had a problem with LAX ammo new .38 or .357 that uses Starline(?) brass.
Haven't had it to the range in a while.
Link Posted: 3/10/2024 3:21:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Mine is a '22 and I've had no binding problems.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 12:36:36 PM EDT
[#12]
I've shot a couple cylinders through mine, but now I'm going to go spend a long day with it.  

Fingers crossed.

Doc
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 3:49:12 AM EDT
[#13]
I have 2- a '21 production and a '22.  No issues with either one.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top