Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2022 6:59:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DonFlynn]
I ended up picking 1 up today, $514 for the basic model with 3 50 round boxes 9mm and tax at a LGS.

I've been leery of getting 1. I was one of the 1st Tisa BR9 owners in the US and was a huge fan of it at 1st. The extractor broke on that after 3000 rounds and 1 month past the 1-year warranty and the importer refused to sell or give me a replacement. I tried a FN made one but Tisa had changed the design enough were as it went from being 100% reliable to a POS. I ended up dumping it at 1/2 what I paid to someone looking for a custom project.

The Girsan comes with a limited lifetime warranty and is being imported by EEA so I figure hopefully if I have problems, they'll stand by the product better than the &^%$ outfit that imported the Tisa's.

This is basically IMO an exact clone of the FN MK III series, except for the front sight. It looks like Girsan uses the same style and width "cut" on the slide but a longer blade for the sight.

One of my Mk III's on the left, the Girson on the right.

The only changes I've done are swapping the factory plastic grips for a set of rubber Houge ones. I did notice the screws were lose when I did this, and 1 hole needed to be retaped.

FN MKIII on the top, Girsan on the bottom. OOB I want to say the trigger pull is the same, the FN is a safe queen with only a 100 rounds on it. I'm leaving the mag safety on for now to see how the trigger breaks in. IMO after a few 100 rounds it should be "decent". I'm one of those weirdo's who lives with the mag safety when it's on the gun, although I will get the Springfield SA35 if I ever seen one.

Range report tomorrow.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 8:48:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive been trying to figure out what route to go for my first BHP. Ideally id want the SA, but theyre scarce and having extractor issues. This Girsan looks nice, but the abundance of wording on the sides of the frame really diminish the beauty of the gun. I hope it works well for you. Ill be checking back in.
Link Posted: 10/15/2022 9:06:08 PM EDT
[#2]
I am waiting on the MC P35 Match, supposed to be delivered on Tuesday. I passed on a Springfield last week because I wanted ambi safety, lefty. Looking forward to getting my hands on it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:30:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Those sights are clones of what FN put on the fixed sight "Practical" models with Hard Chromed frames and controls.

I picked up a Girsan MCP35 Match last week. Put about 150 trouble free rounds through it this weekend just knocking down plates. Shooting side by side with my '72 FN, the Girsan feel like it is sprung much more heavily on at least the mainspring.

The FO front sight filament wants to back out on mine. Beavertail and frame mods are very comfortable.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 2:58:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 4:17:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blitzkreig] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MRW:
I WANT to love the HP, but they bite me
View Quote

The MCP35 Match or Ops should fit
the bill with the beavertail. No munch.
Link Posted: 10/16/2022 5:57:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, range report. Not the best,

150 rounds at 7 yards, 50 per target. The 1st on the left I bench rested to check accuracy the 1st 10 rounds, 5 10 ring and 5 head shots. Good enough so I start 2 handed shooting.

Trigger is stiff and creepy OOB, I kept pulling to the left. I'm hoping a few 100 rounds will break it in. I would say it's not as bad as a FEG HI Power I had but close.

I'll give it 1000 rounds before I decide if I'm dropping the mag safety. I've never done that on my FN made HP's before but had a couple FEG's that had it dropped out on that helped alot. I figure this is a range toy anyway, I've 3 FN made HP's with 1 as a "shooter" so if I really "need" a HP I've got 1 ready to roll
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 5:31:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice shooting, mine has an 11 pound trigger pull, not liking that.
Link Posted: 10/17/2022 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By kanewtervalve:
View Quote

Defiantly needs some trigger work.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 1:16:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kanewtervalve:

Agreed. The Garthwaite style trigger w/o mag safety in the Mcp35Match is nice. The trigger pull weight is not.
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 1:39:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Takes stock 13 rnd FN mags?
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 2:54:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Takes stock 13 rnd FN mags?
View Quote

Yeap, standard Hi Power mag's. It comes with 1 of the new 15 round Megars
Link Posted: 10/18/2022 6:17:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Punisher] [#12]
In stock at Tombstone Tactical $442 when added to cart.

https://tombstonetactical.com/product/eaa-girsan-mcp35-9mm-hipw-blk-13rd
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 4:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
The accuracy and trigger reports in this thread have effectively killed my interest in buying one of these.  I had considered one (to keep the miles off my "real" Brownings) but I would rather wear one of those out than deal with a 12# trigger and marginal accuracy.  Frankly, Hi-Powers aren't great in either department but it sounds like the Girsans exacerbate the situation.
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Man that is….. not good. Should I just not buy a BHP then?
Link Posted: 10/19/2022 11:36:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Wonder if the accuracy would improve significantly if the magazine safety was removed & an FN bbl dropped in.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By turbomunkey:
Man that is….. not good. Should I just not buy a BHP then?
View Quote

I do admit, I was waiting for the Springfield SA-35 to come back in stock. If needed I drop the mag safety 1st and see if that helps. Then worst case I'll get a BHSpringsSolution barrel for it. I was hoping for the same trigger pull the Tisa I mentioned had when I bought it, it was a very nice OOB trigger IIRR.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#17]

I do admit, I was waiting for the Springfield SA-35 to come back in stock. If needed I drop the mag safety 1st and see if that helps. Then worst case I'll get a BHSpringsSolution barrel for it. I was hoping for the same trigger pull the Tisa I mentioned had when I bought it, it was a very nice OOB trigger IIRR.
View Quote

I really want SA to get theirs straightened out. Id prefer it over the Turkish offerings, and the new FN "high power" but theyre having issues on multiple fronts it seems. Logically I think I would be better off waiting to get into the BHP game based on whats happening and just look at another 1911 maybe.
Link Posted: 10/20/2022 10:29:16 AM EDT
[#18]

I really want SA to get theirs straightened out. Id prefer it over the Turkish offerings, and the new FN "high power" but theyre having issues on multiple fronts it seems. Logically I think I would be better off waiting to get into the BHP game based on whats happening and just look at another 1911 maybe.
View All Quotes

Either that or just bite the bullet and get a good FN made Hi Power. I'm going to fight this one for awhile but I have 3 FN HP's in the safe, 2 "shooters" and a LNIB Mk III I've kept as a safe queen since I bought it. Right now I can't recommend the Gisan unless you test the trigger 1st. The LGS gave me a new one, they had 1 on display that had a better trigger. I don't fault them though, most shops sell like that if they have more than 1 of a gun in stock
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 8:18:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Either that or just bite the bullet and get a good FN made Hi Power. I'm going to fight this one for awhile but I have 3 FN HP's in the safe, 2 "shooters" and a LNIB Mk III I've kept as a safe queen since I bought it. Right now I can't recommend the Gisan unless you test the trigger 1st. The LGS gave me a new one, they had 1 on display that had a better trigger. I don't fault them though, most shops sell like that if they have more than 1 of a gun in stock
View Quote

I would have to do some research to find an actual FN Hi Power. I dont have the knowledge or the eye to pick out a good one that isnt super over priced. An MKIII has been suggested to me before.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 10:51:08 AM EDT
[#20]

I would have to do some research to find an actual FN Hi Power. I dont have the knowledge or the eye to pick out a good one that isnt super over priced. An MKIII has been suggested to me before.
View All Quotes

Mk III is the way to go IMO. Those are later production, and tend to be looked down upon by collectors since they were assembled in Portugal. Their fine guns, all my 3 FN HP's are those and I would love another at a decent price.

That'll be the issue, since FN stopped making those prices have jumped. I would expect to pay 1K plus for a decent one.

You could try the refubed police issue models AIM Surplus offers from time to time. They run around $700-800 IIRR. I've looked at them real time before and been tempted but passed mainly because I told myself I had 3 in the safe already plus I've had several clones the pass like the Gisan the past few years float in and out of the safe.

Odd's are I'll try to find 1 more FN before I retire in a year or so, if I do get another Hi Power.
Link Posted: 10/21/2022 7:46:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Mk III is the way to go IMO. Those are later production, and tend to be looked down upon by collectors since they were assembled in Portugal. Their fine guns, all my 3 FN HP's are those and I would love another at a decent price.

That'll be the issue, since FN stopped making those prices have jumped. I would expect to pay 1K plus for a decent one.

You could try the refubed police issue models AIM Surplus offers from time to time. They run around $700-800 IIRR. I've looked at them real time before and been tempted but passed mainly because I told myself I had 3 in the safe already plus I've had several clones the pass like the Gisan the past few years float in and out of the safe.

Odd's are I'll try to find 1 more FN before I retire in a year or so, if I do get another Hi Power.
View Quote

One other thing I’ll say Is that I would carry the gun. I’m not into collecting things really, so I don’t know if carrying what is now a collectible MKIII would be sack religious and hence why I’d like a working Springfield SA35.
Link Posted: 10/26/2022 10:55:14 AM EDT
[#22]
Well hot damn I click on a link and what do I notice but Girsan offering a short slide highpower, now that maybe something I could add to my alloy framed hp.
Link Posted: 11/7/2022 9:44:35 PM EDT
[#23]
View Quote
@MRW: You ever want to chat about this, there IS a fix that doesn't require a 14 foot long beaver tail.

There is a bit of labor but nothing super extravagant.

Link Posted: 11/7/2022 10:26:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 8:38:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: desertmoon] [#25]
@MRW:

You will notice my spur hammer is bobbed.  (by 4 notches, specifically)

BUT, here is the key:

Not only do you bob and reprofile the hammer spur, you also radius the back of the left and the right sides of the hammer from where it comes out of the frame to the entire rear of the spur.  If you melt the entire corners of the left and right plane of the side of the hammer where they meet the back surface of the hammer, this alleviates a LOT of the pinch that exacerbates hammer bite.

ETA: if you look closely at the hammer of my HP, you will notice that all of the edges that come anywhere close to the beavertail (or your hand) are melted.  This gun does not bite.
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 11/10/2022 10:24:07 PM EDT
[#27]
I need to get one and try it.  thanks
View Quote
You bet!  Good luck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:37:25 AM EDT
[#28]
If you want to improve your trigger a bit, polish the magazines where the trigger disconnect moves and the contact point of the disconnect itself.  Then spray on some Birchwood Casey 40140 Moly Lubricant.  This is a dry lubricant and stays for a long time and does not like to come off surfaces so be careful where you spray it, but, it is very good stuff!  You will like the improvement.

Birchwood Casey 40140 Moly Lube
Link Posted: 1/15/2023 8:53:36 PM EDT
[#29]
I’m waiting on the PI model as well. I have an FM detective in my safe and they really are the perfect size HPs

Originally Posted By LastRites:
Well hot damn I click on a link and what do I notice but Girsan offering a short slide highpower, now that maybe something I could add to my alloy framed hp.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/15/2023 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By DonFlynn:  I ended up picking 1 up today, $514 for the basic model with 3 50 round boxes 9mm and tax at a LGS.

https://images14.fotki.com/v1676/photos/9/4114449/16495092/photo-vi.jpg

https://images34.fotki.com/v1681/photos/9/4114449/16495092/photo-vi.jpg

I've been leery of getting 1. I was one of the 1st Tisa BR9 owners in the US and was a huge fan of it at 1st. The extractor broke on that after 3000 rounds and 1 month past the 1-year warranty and the importer refused to sell or give me a replacement. I tried a FN made one but Tisa had changed the design enough were as it went from being 100% reliable to a POS. I ended up dumping it at 1/2 what I paid to someone looking for a custom project.

The Girsan comes with a limited lifetime warranty and is being imported by EEA so I figure hopefully if I have problems, they'll stand by the product better than the &^%$ outfit that imported the Tisa's.
View Quote

My apologies, just reread your OP.  Did Tisa import your BR9, or was it Tisas, the folks bringing in the in the cheap 1911s?
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 11:03:34 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Suck it up buttercup

just kidding

But it is a badge of honor

I think i've been bitten a  couple of times and have just learned to shake it off

But i'm also looking at the new ones with the beavertail

Pick one up - you will fall in love with them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top