Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2024 7:17:33 AM EDT
How is the 47 doing out there ? What's the Boarder Patrol guys think of there new G/47 after having HK , 40 cal so long ???
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:02:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Giving this a bump because I’m also interested.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:14:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Yes you would think some guys would jump in ! I wanted one when they first came out !
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes you would think some guys would jump in ! I wanted one when they first came out !
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:28:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I haven’t even seen a 47 yet in real life

Tell me more.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:30:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Just got mine yesterday. Haven’t had time to shoot it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:20:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine has been great.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#7]
I do not see any advantage over the 17.

You're getting a G19 length RSA in a G17.  Why?

You're also getting a shorter dustcover. Why?

This was Glock's way of selling more guns.  Period.  They've discontinued the Gen5 17MOS.  Departments who want uniformity will have to convert to the 47MOS.

This one is about money.

It is, arguably, an inferior product.  Shorter RSA = shorter RSA durability.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:03:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

You're getting a G19 length RSA in a G17.  Why?

You're also getting a shorter dustcover. Why?

This was Glock's way of selling more guns.  Period.  They've discontinued the Gen5 17MOS.  Departments who want uniformity will have to convert to the 47MOS.

This one is about money.

View Quote

If you have a 47 and a g19.5

You can make a G45 and a G49 sized guns.

Parts compatibility with G19 is why the BP wanted it.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:09:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#9]
Originally Posted By -Ascent-:

View Quote

I've always been the guy that would just buy a complete new AR instead of a spare upper.  The lower (or frame germane to this conversation) is a very inexpensive part.

For an armorer, I guess only having one RSA and one frame to stock is a benefit, but those are the only non-compatible parts between the 17 and 19.  The 47 uses a different barrel than the 19 (same as 17).

Two extra parts to stock ... is that worth reduced durability?  

Not for me, but apparently for the Border Patrol.

We all know the Government does a great job of selecting firearms.

M14 over FAL
Beretta 92 over Sig P226
Mk23 over USP (HK kept promoting the USP in lieu of the 23 but .gov wanted their plastic Desert Eagle)
Sig 320 ND-Special over Glock or HK
Sig Spear firing a wildcat cartridge with EXTREME chamber pressure (80k ... 7.62NATO is usually 50k) over take your pick (e.g. LMT MARS-H DI or piston, product-improved SCAR-H, etc etc etc).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:53:12 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote

Lots of other people see the advantage. If you don't see it, that's up to you.

If you're that worked up over changing a $12 part before you think it should be changed, I don't know what to say.

A department with any level of confidence will be changing out the RSAs as recommended and will not have any issues  
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#11]

I've always been the guy that would just buy a complete new AR instead of a spare upper.  The lower (or frame germane to this conversation) is a very inexpensive part.

For an armorer, I guess only having one RSA and one frame to stock is a benefit, but those are the only non-compatible parts between the 17 and 19.  The 47 uses a different barrel than the 19 (same as 17).

M14 over FAL
Beretta 92 over Sig P226
Mk23 over USP (HK kept promoting the USP in lieu of the 23 but .gov wanted their plastic Desert Eagle)
Sig Spear firing a wildcat cartridge with EXTREME chamber pressure (80k ... 7.62NATO is usually 50k) over take your pick (e.g. LMT MARS-H DI or piston, product-improved SCAR-H, etc etc etc).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

M14 over FAL
Beretta 92 over Sig P226

Im not hear to convince you of anything.

I don't think the 19 RSA is going to be an issue in the G47.

Dont really care what the government is doing. The gun just exist because it's what they asked for.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#12]
I apologize if my tone sounded argumentative.  It was not intended that way.

This is another Glock move that I simply don't see need for.  The $12 argument could be made the other direction.  What's the big deal about having two RSA in inventory?

Regardless, Glock won't make changes that actually have unquestionable value (like adding a light rail to the dust cover of the 26) but will offer hybrid models of dubious "improvement" value.

Glock has really become the HK of the handgun world.  HK was always known for just designing something when a large agency or .gov entity requested it.  The commercial consumers were largely ignored.  Glock hasn't really changed anything since 1983.  There is absolutely zero reason why Glock could not improve their ergonomics, offer a metal "high capacity" magazine for the 43/43X/48, add a light rail to the dust cover of the 26, etc.  HK on the other hand, has become very commercial consumer focused.

Instead we get a 19 slide on a 17 frame and then a 17 slide on a 19 frame.

That is so cutting edge and innovative that I have no reason to even consider offerings by Sig, Canik, HK, Springfield, Walther, etc (all of which have superior ergonomics, capacity, innovation / improvement, and simple "features" that should be OEM on every handgun sold like light rails).
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 2:10:46 PM EDT
[#13]

This is another Glock move that I simply don't see need for.  The $12 argument could be made the other direction.  What's the big deal about having two RSA in inventory?

Regardless, Glock won't make changes that actually have unquestionable value (like adding a light rail to the dust cover of the 26) but will offer hybrid models of dubious "improvement" value.

Glock has really become the HK of the handgun world.  HK was always known for just designing something when a large agency or .gov entity requested it.  The commercial consumers were largely ignored.  Glock hasn't really changed anything since 1983.  There is absolutely zero reason why Glock could not improve their ergonomics, offer a metal "high capacity" magazine for the 43/43X/48, add a light rail to the dust cover of the 26, etc.  HK on the other hand, has become very commercial consumer focused.

That is so cutting edge and innovative that I have no reason to even consider offerings by Sig, Canik, HK, Springfield, Walther, etc (all of which have superior ergonomics, capacity, innovation / improvement, and simple "features" that should be OEM on every handgun sold like light rails).
View Quote
It's simply a move on Glock's part to streamline the number of unique parts they have to make, and thus the number of unique parts a potential large customer (Gov or LEO) would have to inventory as spares, so yes overall it's a cost saving method.

They have to make 2 slide types, 2 barrel lengths, and 2 frames, and every other part is essentially the same to manufacture 4 different models, the G19, G45, G47, and G49.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:09:21 PM EDT
[#14]
I do not see any advantage over the 17

This was Glock's way of selling more guns.  Period.  

This one is about money.

View Quote

Agreed.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine has been great.
View Quote
Same here.

I have an Acro P2 on mine.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:21:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Considering how cheap the guns are on the CBP contract, there's no reason to even worry about spare parts.  Just get a whole new gun
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:53:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#17]

View Quote

Thats why I like Glocks. I know what is it, its reliable and dependable. Its the same ergonomics whether its a G17.1 or a G47. I can pick it up and run it just the same.

I do have shield mags for my G43x mos rail and that would be nice but until Glock loses their ass on them they wont change. That doesn't fit their business model.

I've owned just about everything out there from HK, Sig, CZ, Beretta, High/Low end 1911, all the other poly wonders, hi-powers, etc. In the end I always come back to Glock because its the same old dependable, reliable and basic gun.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:

Agreed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
I do not see any advantage over the 17

This was Glock's way of selling more guns.  Period.  

This one is about money.

Agreed.

Its what BP/Customs asked for. They wanted to sell guns to them. Might as well make some money off the civilian market with them too. Just like the G19x.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:59:45 PM EDT
[#19]

I've owned just about everything out there from HK, Sig, CZ, Beretta, High/Low end 1911, all the other poly wonders, hi-powers, etc. In the end I always come back to Glock because its the same old dependable, reliable and basic gun.

View All Quotes

Yep.

I collect lighters, and have some really cool ones. But I carry a Bic lighter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:05:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I got mine a few months back. I like it so far.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 6:40:19 PM EDT
[#21]
I have one but embarrassingly haven’t shot it yet. I asked one of the CBP guys I see all the time what he thought about it. He said he missed the HK just because he’d been shooting it so long but said objectively the 47 was easier to get proficient with.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: -Ascent-] [#22]
Put a Glock performance trigger in the G47 today

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I called it 4” but my Leo buddy asked what my 90% spread was. The target was 25m away.
Attachment Attached File

It’s 7 rounds because that how many rounds I grabbed out of the ammo can.
Link Posted: Today 5:12:07 AM EDT
[#23]
I may add the new fact prof trigger into my 47.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top