Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2024 2:42:54 PM EDT
We’re getting new Gen 5 MOS guns at work. What’s the consensus on the factory optics plates? Are they gtg of do I need to go spend more $ on an aftermarket?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They are a solid plate.  You will need to verify that the optic screws DO NOT pass through the bottom of the plate PRIOR to install.  I've lost track of how many MOS Glock's I've had to remove stripped screws from becuase they optic screw bottoms out on the top of the slide, and then snaps at the head or strips the torx/allen pocket.

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:19:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I've had the Forward Controls Designs plate on my MOS for a couple years and it's been solid.

Do make sure screws are not too long, I just file them down if they are.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 4:47:25 PM EDT
[#3]
The oem plates are notorious for failing. FCD plate or Holosun SCS is the only good options.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Which optics will attach directly without needing any plates?
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 6:52:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SteelSC:
Which optics will attach directly without needing any plates?
View Quote

Holosun SCS-MOS
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:22:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I would do an fcd plate if possible. I think some departments allow the fcd.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 7:53:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
I would do an fcd plate if possible. I think some departments allow the fcd.
View Quote

I get to help write the policy which is a plus
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Factory MOS plates/cuts leave much to be desired.

The FCD plates solve the shortcomings of the MOS system.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:04:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#9]
Originally Posted By AT-ST83:
They are a solid plate.  You will need to verify that the optic screws DO NOT pass through the bottom of the plate PRIOR to install.  I've lost track of how many MOS Glock's I've had to remove stripped screws from becuase they optic screw bottoms out on the top of the slide, and then snaps at the head or strips the torx/allen pocket.

View Quote

Absolutely this.  Factory plates are passable IF installed properly.  The factory plates don't ship bent.  However, RMR mounting kit screws can on occasion be too long and push the plate up when torquing the optic, and thats what leads to sheared screws that the MOS system was notorious for early on.

FCD plates are superior in every way and should definitely be in your GO.  However, to keep yourself ahead of the headache, I'd suggest "non factory plates can be used with approval of the range master" to save yourself from having to re-write something when anything new and quality is released.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:10:18 PM EDT
[#10]
No problems with factory plates on my G40, G41, G24, or G35 BUT I'm using aftermarket screws. I shoot some pretty stout 10mm hand loads.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:28:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gont] [#11]
Originally Posted By Marksman14:

Absolutely this.  Factory plates are passable IF installed properly.  The factory plates don't ship bent.  However, RMR mounting kit screws can on occasion be too long and push the plate up when torquing the optic, and thats what leads to sheared screws that the MOS system was notorious for early on.

FCD plates are superior in every way and should definitely be in your GO.  However, to keep yourself ahead of the headache, I'd suggest "non factory plates can be used with approval of the range master" to save yourself from having to re-write something when anything new and quality is released.
View Quote

Exactly.  We would refer what is approved in the SOP to the "Rangemaster list of approved......"  That way the rangemaster list can be edited without having to have the SOP edited and go through the lengthy approval process.

Yes, FCD plates are much better.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 10:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the replies. Only pistol optic I currently run is a Delta Point Pro that direct mounted to my M17
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:02:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I have 3 MOS Glocks and I pay 2 with optic
1 has the SCS which is direct mount
1 has rmr2 with FCD plate

I prefer the SCS due to lower profile, using irons
But if I had to use a plate, FCD

Toss the factory plates as they don't provide full support, only relying on screws
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:19:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Get your plates from Www.thecncpros.com
Theirs are made from heat treated alloy steel, carry a no BS lifetime warranty and fit like a glove.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 6:55:02 AM EDT
[#15]
I have the Holosun scs mounts right on slide , you can co witness the sights perfect , this sight has never failed in maybe 2 yrs , I had it , brite sun , room lights the green dot is always there , I do take and lay it out in sunlight sum times to keep charged up . but never failed me in any way , I even fumbled and dropped the thing a few times .
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 9:59:00 AM EDT
[#16]
The factory MOS plate is made out of MIM with tolerances all over the place and have a reputation for causing screws to sheer. For a duty gun I wouldn’t use anything other than a FCD plate. You want very tight tolerances so that the screws are not taking the brunt of the forces during firing.

I use an FCD plate with my ACRO.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/27/2024 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Factory plates are known to be junk.

I’ve used Forward Controls Design whenever possible

If you need an optic FCD doesn’t support CHPWS would be my second choice

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 3:26:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Those seem to be the top 2
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:29:42 PM EDT
[#19]
FCD
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:38:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I switched to FCD. Rock solid.

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 4:46:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By MK318:
The factory MOS plate is made out of MIM with tolerances all over the place and have a reputation for causing screws to sheer. For a duty gun I wouldn’t use anything other than a FCD plate. You want very tight tolerances so that the screws are not taking the brunt of the forces during firing.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7198_jpeg-3167913.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6601_jpeg-3167915.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6625_jpeg-3167916.JPG
View Quote

That's 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Just picked up my G45 yesterday. I have plans for this mullet gun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 6:06:37 PM EDT
[#22]
The biggest issue with the factory MOS plates is that dimensions are all over the place. Plate lengths vary, slide cuts vary in length .

Plates that do not fit the cuts tight (snug) leave the plate to slide screws bearing all of the force of the slide reciprocating resulting in sheared screws in many cases.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 8:41:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Vague:

That's 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_7198_jpeg-3167913.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6601_jpeg-3167915.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/557335/IMG_6625_jpeg-3167916.JPG

That's 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

Thanks
I plan to build out another one set up exactly the same but on a Gen 5 G17 once Radian releases their G17 comp kit. It will end up a G34 length gun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:30:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#24]
Please give us a call 214-399-7579, we will be happy to send you a plate to T&E

If your agency authorizes RMR, OPF-G, RMR is compatible with the new RCR and RMR HD as well.  Over the years, the design hasn't changed, we did tweak the tolerance a bit to make the plate to slide fit more accommodating for Glock MOS pocket length and tolerance, the plate is otherwise unchanged from its introduction in March of 2020.

Other than that, we changed the sight to plate screws from T10 to T15 (6-32x3/8) screws.  T10 6-32x3/8 screws can be hard to source, while T15 screws are COTS.  We originally kept the sight to plate T10 so the user only needed to use a single wrench or bit to install the plate to slide, and sight to plate screws, but the logistics and robustness of the T15 screws (140,000 PSI tensile strength) are far more useful and important.  

We also stopped providing wrenches with all of our plates.  It was inconsistent that we kept stating the importance of using a good quality torque wrench to impart the correct torque value, but at the same time,  provided wrenches that enabled users to not use a torque wrench, so we stopped including wrenches with our plates.

Our plates design that holds the sight immobile before the sight to plate screws are installed means the screw strength isn't an issue, we still want qualtiy, US made screws in alloy (not mild steel) to prevent stripping by users that don't use a torque wrench, or do the "more is better" thing when it comes to torquing
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Well we’ve had our G17 Gen5 MOS in holster about 6months. Between training, 2gun, Cola Wars, just shooting, an advanced pistol class all equaling approximately 2,400+ rounds…so far my front sight has become loose. Glock plate & screws good so far.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 11:52:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Duffy:

If your agency authorizes RMR, OPF-G, RMR is compatible with the new RCR and RMR HD as well.  Over the years, the design hasn't changed, we did tweak the tolerance a bit to make the plate to slide fit more accommodating for Glock MOS pocket length and tolerance, the plate is otherwise unchanged from its introduction in March of 2020.

Other than that, we changed the sight to plate screws from T10 to T15 (6-32x3/8) screws.  T10 6-32x3/8 screws can be hard to source, while T15 screws are COTS.  We originally kept the sight to plate T10 so the user only needed to use a single wrench or bit to install the plate to slide, and sight to plate screws, but the logistics and robustness of the T15 screws (140,000 PSI tensile strength) are far more useful and important.  

We also stopped providing wrenches with all of our plates.  It was inconsistent that we kept stating the importance of using a good quality torque wrench to impart the correct torque value, but at the same time,  provided wrenches that enabled users to not use a torque wrench, so we stopped including wrenches with our plates.

Our plates design that holds the sight immobile before the sight to plate screws are installed means the screw strength isn't an issue, we still want qualtiy, US made screws in alloy (not mild steel) to prevent stripping by users that don't use a torque wrench, or do the "more is better" thing when it comes to torquing
View Quote

Something that scalar works does that I really like is they don’t provide the wrench but they provide the bit. A lot of the bits you find on Amazon are soft and cheap. Having a high quality bit is half the battle right there.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 7:08:15 PM EDT
[#27]

That's 🔥 🔥 🔥 🔥

View Quote

mullet gun.
What a perfect name.
I did just buy a g20 gen5 mos which is what I am doing prowling Glock threads.

Thank you all for the info.
If I put an optic on my new mullet shooter I may as well do the holoson.

Link Posted: 4/13/2024 9:38:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By TGWLDR:
Factory MOS plates/cuts leave much to be desired.

The FCD plates solve the shortcomings of the MOS system.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 7:16:40 AM EDT
[#29]

Something that scalar works does that I really like is they don’t provide the wrench but they provide the bit. A lot of the bits you find on Amazon are soft and cheap. Having a high quality bit is half the battle right there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That is an issue for me.  I'm just getting into dots on pistols, bought a torque "screwdriver" (Fix It Sticks mini), been having issues finding just the torx bits I need and not being forced to buy an entire set of what is probably Chinesium from the local Home Depot or Lowes.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:18:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TW200] [#30]
Originally Posted By Blacktoothgrin:
The oem plates are notorious for failing. FCD plate or Holosun SCS is the only good options.
View Quote
Holosun SCS ... No plates needed. Perfect cowitness to factory irons. Super accurate.
Glock 20 10mm with Holosun SCS.

My 3 Glock 19 gen 5 MOS.
1. Trijicon SRO
2. Holosun SCS
3. Trijicon RMRcc

Glock 20 Gen 5 Holosun SCS 50 yards to 1 foot steel
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:18:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Try the torque wrench made by Capri Tools, can be found on Amazon.  The Vortex torque wrench is made by the same folks.  Made in Taiwan, not China, it's what we use.

We have the original analog version and the newer digital version, the analog version comes with 2 rows of bits.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 9:46:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: billclo] [#32]
Try the torque wrench made by Capri Tools, can be found on Amazon.  The Vortex torque wrench is made by the same folks.  Made in Taiwan, not China, it's what we use.

We have the original analog version and the newer digital version, the analog version comes with 2 rows of bits.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/781/Screenshot_2024-04-21_081822_jpg-3194193.JPG
View Quote

If I hadn't already ordered a torque bit, I might have considered that.  However, I found a Torx bit set by Tekton that looks like it'll fill the bill for very occasional usage (mainly removing the RMR to swap batteries, etc).

https://www.tekton.com/1-4-inch-shank-hex-bit-set-9-piece-dzt93001
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top