Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/22/2024 8:03:31 PM EDT
I was handling my old MK3 last night and I noticed something weird.   I keep snap caps in my guns so when I go into the  safe I can grab a few and go pew pew.

Anyway,  I slow racked the HP and noticed that the extractor lets go when the cartridge is about half way out of the chamber.  Super slow rack and the cartridge ends up just sitting half way out.  Fast cycling and it extracts normally.

On my other guns, it seems the extractor maintains the rim until it contacts the ejector.  I never really noticed before.  Is this just how Hi Powers cycle?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:24:34 PM EDT
[#1]
What is the weight of a snap-cap Vs. an empty shell?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 3:36:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Didn't think of that... Will try when I get home.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 7:40:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#3]
Check how much spring tension is on the extractor. Also check the extractor hook for debris. On a fast rack, the case or snap cap is extracting straight back until it clears the chamber.

As piperpa24 said, the snap cap is probably heavier, and slipping out of the extractor.

Curious, what does a slow extraction on a live round do?
Link Posted: 1/24/2024 7:57:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Thank you all for the suggestions.  It extracts normally with an empty case.  The snap cap's (Tipton) rim is a bit thinner and overall seems smaller in all dimensions.  I'll mic it tonight if I remember.

Thanks again.   Pretty good indicator I shouldn't take up reloading
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top