Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2023 7:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M60-E4]
Regardless if Browning, Springfield Armory, Tisas, or Girsan, these things rock !!!!

Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:35:31 PM EDT
[#1]
.......and now I want one
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Too the OP
What’s your opinion on the new FN Hi Power ?
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 10:46:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M60-E4] [#3]
The new HP is so changed from the original…..it’s not really an HP to me.  Now I wouldn’t mind having one if the prices ever become realistic!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2023 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ve had three High Powers over the years. My first one was a 74C model and the one after that was the .40 caliber version. Unfortunately they ended up getting sold for something I must have really needed at the time.

I now have a 73C model:

I swapped out the grips and the hammer and added the ambi safety:

Link Posted: 7/29/2023 4:30:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M60-E4:
The new HP is so changed from the original ..it's not really an HP to me.  Now I wouldn't mind having one if the prices ever become realistic!!
View Quote
I really like the very idea of the new FN HP - but can't bring myself to lay down the scratch for one without maybe selling something but can't decide which one so I won't.
Link Posted: 8/18/2023 5:15:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MTNShewter] [#6]
Inherited one recently.  Will be a family piece.  Put BH Springs walnut grips on it and their magazine with gold baseplate.  The rubber grips it came with are nice but I like the wood look, and the 10rd mags are uh… no!

Before:
Attachment Attached File

Now:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Highly recommend BH.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:34:38 AM EDT
[#7]
They are indeed excellent pistols.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 2:56:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Love them
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 3:06:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, big fan of my FN. It was one if the Israeli police pistols. It was I e if the filthiest pistols I've ever seen. I replaced all of the springs and it functioned great. The original springs were bad and I couldn't get through a mag without some malfunction.
Link Posted: 10/11/2023 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Added another… this is the Girsan MPC35 PI Lightweght Match…. It has the alloy frame. It’s optics ready as well. They also make the LW in a railed version.

Love these guns…. This ones trigger is a hair heavier than I prefer but has zero creep.

Link Posted: 10/11/2023 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Attachment Attached File

I have one of the lightweights as well. I like it. It checks all the boxes for me. Fired about 450 rounds of various ammo through it last weekend with no issues.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:18:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have my first Girsan ordered up this morning.  I’ve had an FN made 1961 Argentine Internal Security Division contract for years and love it.  I did replace the factory safety with an extended Cylinder and Slide model as well as remove the magazine safety.  Yes, I kept the original parts.  Only thing is that the internal extractors are harder to come by and expensive when you do so it doesn’t see as much use now.
My current shooter is a Springfield SA35 and she’s a great successor to my original FN.  It came with the better safety, the magazine safety is already removed, and the sights are far better than the skinny blade of the original.  Not all is perfect though. The tang isn’t as rounded on the edges like the original.  Not a big problem but you know it’s there.  The other thing I didn’t like and changed out was the grips.  The factory SA35 grips are not bad and provide a good grip but it’s just the aesthetics that bother me.  They just don’t look quite right so I replaced them with a set of original French walnut grips.  
This morning I ordered a Girsan MC P35PI for something a little different with the shorter barrel and slide.  My Tisas 1911 pistols have been great so why not give another Turkish gunmaker a chance and see how they stack up to my FN and Springfield.  I already know I’ll be removing that magazine safety too and I’ve never been a big fan of the MK III grips either so I’ll be swapping those out too.
Link Posted: 10/12/2023 9:58:25 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the looks of nice wood on a hi-power, but I need to have Pachmayr grips   for them properly fit my hands at all.
Link Posted: 10/17/2023 4:58:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I got my PI in this afternoon but due to our “benevolent government’s” NICS system being down, I got a chance to inspect it but can’t pick it up until the powers that be get their poop in a group!
But I was right in that the trigger is a horrid crunchy, creepy affair akin to a lumber wagon on a bad gravel road. With the magazine out, it feels better at least as far as the trigger travel goes.  Not sure if the MkIII style firing pin block has anything to do with the poor pull but I know the magazine safety does.  As I figured, not really thrilled with the grips either but I already have a set of wood grips off ebay that are waiting to be installed as soon as I get it back home.
Link Posted: 10/19/2023 5:59:08 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AFSOC_COP:
Only thing is that the internal extractors are harder to come by and expensive when you do so it doesn’t see as much use now.
View Quote

I don't shoot my Inglis No. 2 much for similar reasons.

I recently picked up a new Girsan as well - just the plain old MC P35 model. I do want one of the PI LW alloy frame guns, though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top