Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/8/2024 10:47:38 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:22:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 11:51:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#2]
Lol I haven’t read the comments, but I’ll bet there a bunch of folks ready to jump his shit.

It is the internet, after all

I have short stroked riding the reset on my g19 and it’s a definite WTF moment
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 1:08:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I thought people quit doing that 15 years ago.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:
View Quote

Me too
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:12:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Me too
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Me too

Nope still see people doing it all the time at the range and I have friends who still do it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:13:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

Nope still see people doing it all the time at the range and I have friends who still do it.
View All Quotes

Me too

A friend of mine took a handgun class recently and was taught to ride the reset.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 3:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

A friend of mine took a handgun class recently and was taught to ride the reset.
View Quote

Not surprising and I can see how it could be a jumping off point for the very novice shooter or brand new shooter.  It is very difficult to tech a person with no or very little shooting experience how to shoot on a cadence or a flow versus getting them to pin the trigger and ride the trigger to reset.  Many new shooters will shoot a round and either completely come off of the pistol or trigger then look around smiling after every shot or come off lower the pistol and check where they hit on the target for usually the first few magazines.  Building the cadence and flow takes time plus getting them to change a whole entire mindset and focus.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I was taught to ride reset, and can shoot that way fast enough for me. My perception of the video is this guy is all about speed not once did he take about taking a more accurate shot. All techniques have a place, and if you really need a precision follow up shot, riding the rest will likely give better results.

I do see his point if you are trying to get really fast, but sometimes ( less often than a lot of people think) blazing speed is not a requirement.

Some are fre to disagree, but in my mind if I am in a situation where I need to shoot really fast, it is likely we are talking very close range where things like trigger control and sight alignment are nearly inconsequential, but stretch that distance some, and things change.

Much like I don’t manage the sights and trigger on my J frame at all like I do my slow fire 50 yard bullseye pistol and vice versa.

What I see a lot of novices do ( coming from and still mostly shooting revolvers a long heavy pull done correctly still gets accurate results) is snatch the trigger- get sight alignment then quickly in a very sharp movement try to activate the trigger before sight alignment changes. And they do seem to be in a race to get off the trigger after. Neither of which gets solid hits
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 10:56:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I did it early on like many others, but stopped when I moved on to what worked better for me. I shot from a Chapman stance back then, too. I still shoot the reset occasionally if I'm slow firing for accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 6:04:03 AM EDT
[#10]
I’ve never heard that term before.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 7:55:46 AM EDT
[#11]
Back when I was training people to shoot, especially new shooters with semi autos I always taught them to use the reset in order for them to learn trigger and front sight control. With that said, to each their own and don't listen to idiots who tell you this is the only way on their click bait Youtube videos so they make more money. Kind of the like the "expert" at the gun counter that tells you what you need to carry and everything else is junk.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:26:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#12]
Nobody I know actually does that.

First of all, you can't hear the damn click, shooting guns is loud, especially without earpro.

Maybe you can feel it, but if that is what you are paying attention to on a 2 way range, you are already well behind the power curve and fucking up big time.

Shooting at paper targets from a stationary position, maybe people do it, but all of that is pretty much negative training for when your life depends on it.

Getting the muscle memory so you can do it quickly for fast follow up shots, I can see the logic.  
Not taking your finger off the trigger between shots, absolutely.
But focusing attention on this is dumb. It is a concept for new shooters to understand, but focusing on this past a couple of range trips is not what people should be focused on.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:08:49 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree with IBT for the same reasons.  There is a time and a place for it, like 600 yards, National Matches, Service Rifle.

BS's response video to comments and threads like this regarding reset.  I loved his response to one, presumably LEO, trainer.  Trainer was defending teaching trigger reset, and in next sentence saying his students were underperforming in gun fights.

Getting people to pass the qual is a low bar
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:13:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Fooboy] [#14]
So what exactly is the definition for "riding the reset"
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Fooboy:
View Quote

I'm assuming he means thumb or palm of support hand on slide release.

Which is the reason you don't find extended slide releases on almost any proficient shooter's Glocks. But... and big but... It really depends on the pistol. And Ben knows that and is trolling.

This is a thing because of conflicting principles. You gain more control over the pistol, and less sight disruption, the higher up you can get your hands, generally. But the higher you get your hands, the more likely you are to ride the slide stop/slide release. I mitigate this with small slide releases and +10% mag springs.

Ben is just another version of Ken Hackathon. A pretty limited view of shooting, generally, really only applicable to sport/performance shooting. He has plenty to teach, but also plenty to learn, and he doesn't seem interested in doing much learning anymore.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:31:26 PM EDT
[#16]

View All Quotes

Me too

And the bonus is, you see the pistol dip, and get to tell them they're developing a flinch.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Middlelength:

View All Quotes

Negative.  It means not letting the trigger all the way out between shots, but rather letting up just to the reset point, then pressing again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:

And the bonus is, you see the pistol dip, and get to tell them they're developing a flinch.
View Quote

I usually do not call them out I try not to do it with my friends I shoot with.  I usually use a different tactic and get them to notice it themselves.  Some of my shooting buddies has to much pride to admit or have someone notice they are not a tier 1 ninja.  I am the complete opposite I know I am not an elite shooter and always work hard to improve my flaws and that has done more to improve my shooting than anything else.  If you can accept you make mistake and that you will miss if you are pushing yourself you can easily improve.  If you think you are perfect and have no room to improve well we all know those types,
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 8:28:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By captain127:
I was taught to ride reset, and can shoot that way fast enough for me. My perception of the video is this guy is all about speed not once did he take about taking a more accurate shot. All techniques have a place, and if you really need a precision follow up shot, riding the rest will likely give better results.
View All Quotes

Not bad techniques

Holding the trigger to the rear while the gun cycles, and then to fire the next shot only releasing trigger forward just enough to the reset point, then pulling trigger again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#20]

Which is the reason you don't find extended slide releases on almost any proficient shooter's Glocks. But... and big but... It really depends on the pistol. And Ben knows that and is trolling.

This is a thing because of conflicting principles. You gain more control over the pistol, and less sight disruption, the higher up you can get your hands, generally. But the higher you get your hands, the more likely you are to ride the slide stop/slide release. I mitigate this with small slide releases and +10% mag springs.

Ben is just another version of Ken Hackathon. A pretty limited view of shooting, generally, really only applicable to sport/performance shooting. He has plenty to teach, but also plenty to learn, and he doesn't seem interested in doing much learning anymore.
View All Quotes

If you don't know what riding the reset means then don't try and call out Ben Stoeger.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I guess I'm dumb but open to learning. I shoot Glocks and the reset is pretty pronounced. If I try to go fast my aimed splits are like .2
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#22]

If you don't know what riding the reset means then don't try and call out Ben Stoeger.
View Quote

no shit

ARFCOM never fails to fucking entertain

Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:18:24 PM EDT
[#23]
I must have missed how far he is coming off the trigger after it goes bang. He talks about rolling through the trigger and not ‘noticing’ the weight of the pull etc but I’m missing what he is doing to reset the trigger.

Can someone point me to where in the video he states what he does? (Going back to view it for the Nth time.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:34:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Oh no I ride the reset and arfcoms god says I'm dumb. I also don't have an optic, light or comp on any of my pistol and have actually had to shoot people with them and amazingly I am still alive. I really don't care what john wick wannabes or ben stroker thinks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:35:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:36:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Wolfstone:
Oh no I ride the reset and arfcoms god says I'm dumb. I also don't have an optic, light or comp on any of my pistol and have actually had to shoot people with them and amazingly I am still alive. I really don't care what john wick wannabes or ben stroker thinks.
View Quote

So much for climbing the ladder of excellence and seeking self improvement along the warrior path.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 10:52:51 PM EDT
[#27]
One should always try to improve and learn the day we decide we’ve learned everything we need is the day we failed.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 3:11:24 AM EDT
[#28]

Not surprising and I can see how it could be a jumping off point for the very novice shooter or brand new shooter.  It is very difficult to tech a person with no or very little shooting experience how to shoot on a cadence or a flow versus getting them to pin the trigger and ride the trigger to reset.  Many new shooters will shoot a round and either completely come off of the pistol or trigger then look around smiling after every shot or come off lower the pistol and check where they hit on the target for usually the first few magazines.  Building the cadence and flow takes time plus getting them to change a whole entire mindset and focus.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:

I would agree that the focused extra trigger manipulation is a boon. It really seems to cut out slapping it and the almost huried attempt at getting the finger off the trigger after each shot.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 2:15:39 PM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Yeah, that was kind of funny
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 10:49:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BaconFat] [#30]

I do see his point if you are trying to get really fast, but sometimes ( less often than a lot of people think) blazing speed is not a requirement.

Some are fre to disagree, but in my mind if I am in a situation where I need to shoot really fast, it is likely we are talking very close range where things like trigger control and sight alignment are nearly inconsequential, but stretch that distance some, and things change.

Much like I don’t manage the sights and trigger on my J frame at all like I do my slow fire 50 yard bullseye pistol and vice versa.

What I see a lot of novices do ( coming from and still mostly shooting revolvers a long heavy pull done correctly still gets accurate results) is snatch the trigger- get sight alignment then quickly in a very sharp movement try to activate the trigger before sight alignment changes. And they do seem to be in a race to get off the trigger after. Neither of which gets solid hits
View Quote

Riding the reset has nothing to do with accuracy. It is after the shot broke.  Focusing on not disturbing your sights while the shot breaks does affect accuracy.  You can do that slapping the trigger or pressing through it.  

If you need to change technique because of speed or distance, then your technique is bad.
Link Posted: 3/13/2024 4:37:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#31]
Pretty sure if an armed thug is coming at me I am not needing to be aware of the exact point of the reset while firing. I am simply squeezing off shots as accurately and rapidly as I can. Seems like a discussion for those whose principle purpose for a firearm is punching holes in paper.

I routinely practice on a range where the silhouette target approaches the shooter rapidly when programmed to do so.
"Riding the reset" has never once entered my mind when doing those drills.

Link Posted: 3/13/2024 7:29:51 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By _DR:
Pretty sure if an armed thug is coming at me I am not needing to be aware of the exact point of the reset while firing. I am simply squeezing off shots as accurately and rapidly as I can. Seems like a discussion for those whose principle purpose for a firearm is punching holes in paper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By _DR:

Gun-gamers worry about that as well as their split-times. Never saw folks comparing notes on split-times after a gunfight.

I routinely practice on a range where the silhouette target approaches the shooter rapidly when programmed to do so.
"Riding the reset" has never once entered my mind when doing those drills.

Same here. Our range has a moving or “charging” Bad Guy silhouette target too. It’s good for a number of scenarios, including the Edged-Weapon Attacker. They tape up a pic of a knife or machete in the BG’s hand. Typically guys shoot this drill anywhere from 15ft-30-ft. It’s also called the Tueller drill.

I also practice the Mozambique drill from surrender position (wrists above shoulders) against a timer.  Draw is from concealed AIWB.  My goal is to put two solid hits into the upper thoracic, plus the final cranium pop, inside 2.5-secs. Not there yet. But no doubt other guys here can do it faster.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 9:41:33 AM EDT
[#33]
It helps teach trigger control for new shooters. Beyond that? Yeah most experienced shooters don't do it. I still will if I am slow firing. But drills, matches so on. Hell no. If I am, it's subconsciously. As long as it's straight back and smooth, hit it and go.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:40:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Thousands of rounds on a Gen 1 M&P cured me of any "reset riding" I had.
Link Posted: 3/14/2024 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#35]
Yesterday my son was shooting his Cx4 carbine, and it wouldn't fire.  He got a puzzled look on his face, and squeezed the trigger as hard as he could.

He handed it to me, and I popped a plate down, and he was even more confused.  He hadn't let off the trigger enough before pulling it again.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:43:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Yesterday my son was shooting his Cx4 carbine, and it wouldn't fire.  He got a puzzled look on his face, and squeezed the trigger as hard as he could.

He handed it to me, and I popped a plate down, and he was even more confused.  He hadn't let off the trigger enough before pulling it again.
View Quote

Seems like he has a terrible teacher.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 8:29:15 AM EDT
[#37]

Negative.  It means not letting the trigger all the way out between shots, but rather letting up just to the reset point, then pressing again.
View All Quotes

Exactly this. “Riding the reset” refers to a way of manipulating trigger movement, NOT the slide release or anything to do with your support hand.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#38]
Wait till people hear about reset-under-recoil
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Colt653:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8pEUo_XLoc
View Quote

I think many do it because of striker fired triggers.  With many striker fired guns the reset makes for a much shorter trigger pull than letting the trigger out further.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 4:41:38 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought everyone said this except for precision shooting.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 5:42:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By JThompson:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JThompson:
Originally Posted By backbencher:  Yesterday my son was shooting his Cx4 carbine, and it wouldn't fire.  He got a puzzled look on his face, and squeezed the trigger as hard as he could.

I'm more than a little handicapped instructing him by having to do everything mirror imaged.  It's a trip watching 9mm casings fly past yer nose shooting from your right shoulder.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 7:39:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

Riding the reset has nothing to do with accuracy. It is after the shot broke.  Focusing on not disturbing your sights while the shot breaks does affect accuracy.  You can do that slapping the trigger or pressing through it.  

If you need to change technique because of speed or distance, then your technique is bad.
View Quote

I have a hard time believing you would use the exact same technique to get a hit to center mass at ten feet versus a head shot at fifty yards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#43]

I have a hard time believing you would use the exact same technique to get a hit to center mass at ten feet versus a head shot at fifty yards.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BaconFat:

I shoot a lot of DA revolvers and my technique is the same at 5 or 50 yards.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:17:46 PM EDT
[#44]
I took his fundamentals class last week.  I’m more of a pistol plinker so it was a lot of fun and I really learned a lot.  The buddy I went with stayed for the next two days of skills and drills, he said that was good as well.

Ben is a heck of a shot.
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:25:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/21/2024 10:27:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 8:03:37 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Nick_Adams:
I also practice the Mozambique drill from surrender position (wrists above shoulders) against a timer.  
View Quote

That's what you call a training scar. Don't practice putting yourself in a position that puts your at a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 11:04:42 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By -GuNuT-:
That's what you call a training scar. Don't practice putting yourself in a position that puts your at a disadvantage.
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/23/2024 2:21:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I taught new shooters the reset if they were flinching. I could get them on paper and tighten up their groups quickly.
Link Posted: 3/23/2024 3:26:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Old_Fashioned:
I taught new shooters the reset if they were flinching. I could get them on paper and tighten up their groups quickly.
View Quote

It has helped me a LOT (you didn’t teach me, but maybe I read you saying it).
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top