Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2023 3:52:55 PM EDT
I didn't want to attempt this on my own just yet.  I've changed out front sights before on other handguns, but this one appears to have a tiny roll pin in the blade and I'm not familiar with how to remove it.  I'd like to replace the stock front sight with a Dawson fiber optic front sight.  

Any advice here?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 4:16:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AT-ST83] [#1]
The tiny roll pin will punch out like any other roll pin...correct size punch and a hammer.

If you have a proper bench vise with soft jaws, a gunsmithing hammer, and soft punches...it's not too difficult.  

But, know your limits.  If you don't have the proper tools or knowledge, take it to a professional gunsmith.  It will be very easy for you to damage your slide if you don't have the correct tools for the job.

Also, Dawson Precision sights are not drop in...they will require some fitting to your pistol dovetail.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:18:18 PM EDT
[#2]
How does the roll pin come out?  Is it extracted from the top of the front post or is it pushed out from under the slide?
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#3]
You use the punch and hit from the top down...it will fall through the top of the stripped slide.
Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:03:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Colt653] [#4]
Springfield pins the front sight also.

use a proper sized punch and tap it downward

fit the DAWSON so it's TIGHT and forget the tiny roll pin

DAWSON is an excellent choice

Link Posted: 12/23/2023 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Awesome.  Thanks, all.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 3:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What tool would y'all recommend for drifting out the front sight?

I don’t think my sight pusher will work and the punch I have on hand can’t shoulder up with the dovetail.

Any ideas here?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 11:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slack_out] [#7]
I used a 1/16" roll pin punch and drove the tiny pin down and out, on my Tisas 9mm railed 1911 "Duty" model. The 1/16" punch was very tight fit.

I'm 99% sure the next smallest sized punch would have been the correct size.  In millimeters vs inches.

The front sights on Tisas all seem to be the contoured style (curved, to match the curved-top of the slide) which looks nice when installed, but a PITA to get in/out IMO. Took it to a local so-called gunsmith who removed it fine. I won't trust him to install a new front sight, unfortunately.

Probably going to send it off to have my new brass-bead front sight installed (which will match the curved-top of the slide, like Tisas oem).

My rear sight has been milled away and a 407k is direct-mounted. The miller/shop says to get a .173 height front sight to match-up with their milled depth of the 40k's integrated rear sight. So I ordered a .170 tall front sight.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
yep drive the little pin down & out

soak in KROIL

wrap in electrical tape, and mount in a sold vice

tap it out with the brass punch, right on the basr of the vertical edge of the sight

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:01:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By slack_out:

My rear sight has been milled away and a 407k is direct-mounted. The miller/shop says to get a .173 height front sight to match-up with their milled depth of the 40k's integrated rear sight. So I ordered a .170 tall front sight.
View Quote

Have any photos or more information on this?  

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:22:54 AM EDT
[#10]
GreenTickTactical website
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:33:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Colt653:

yep drive the little pin down & out

soak in KROIL

wrap in electrical tape, and mount in a sold vice

tap it out with the brass punch, right on the basr of the vertical edge of the sight

View Quote

Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top