Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2024 10:16:20 PM EDT
So I've pretty much owned and shot nothing but polymer striker-fired guns, however lately I've had an itch for a BHP.  In part because I grew up shooting a MkIII that belonged to a relative, and partly because, visually/historically, they're my favorite handgun - peak aesthetics IMO.  Anyway, when the SA-35 came out a couple of years ago I got excited, until they immediately started having issues.  I've heard they're supposedly better now, but I don't know if this is 100% confirmed.  I've recently been looking at the Girsan (standard model, as I find the updated ones with the beavertail, rail, etc. ruin the look) and have been impressed with what I've read, especially at the price point, however I would immediately ditch the mag disconnect safety, and would want to replace the atrocious sights.  This would be something of a range toy, however I would also want it to be solid and reliable if ever I should have a mind to carry it - I don't have the surplus funds to buy guns that are exclusively toys or safe queens.  Then today I saw the announcement for the new Inglis HPs coming out.  I'm not concerned about the historical inaccuracies some have complained about regarding whether or not Inglis made a certain version/model etc.  I think these things look great and their claim that there are no MIM parts or anything is also impressive at the price point.  This is obviously not a proven option however as they are brand new.

Anyway, does anyone have any input on what I should lean towards in the event I decide to jump into the BHP game?  What needs upgrading out of the box on any of them for practical range/carry usage?  I don't need some $300 competition trigger or $400 match barrel or the like, just something that is reliable and has acceptable accuracy.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:26:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wmagrush] [#1]
The first thing to improve trigger pull is to remove the magazine disconnect if there is one. A alternative is to polish the back of the magazine where the disconnect contacts the magazine. Watch YouTube videos to do the removal correctly. And look for a model that has target sights factory installed.
Link Posted: 3/4/2024 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Just buy one and shoot it and then you'll see where you need to go with it (if anywhere).

If you want max authenticity shoot for an FN or Browning Mk III model, they're out there, they made a lot of 'em.
I've owned both and they were solid.

Some of the older ones (C Series/T Series) don't have throated feed ramps so they don't feed hollow points as well so know that.

Had a Charles Daly HP, wasn't as fond of it, frame was slightly different.

My only complaints of the HP is the triggers are never what I would consider excellent, and the frame safeties are not detented like a 1911 so they're kinda mushy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2024 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
https://bhspringsolutions.com/index.php/hi-power-university/

Lots of good information - I have a FEG, FN, FMP, and Browning. All have differences in trigger pull.

I have swapped springs, polished magazine disconnector, and installed the EGW sear.

Same advice I'd give a new 1911 owner, buy it, shoot it 500 rounds, and then decide if you want to change anything.

HTH
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 1:10:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Take it out and shoot it.  I know a lot of people advocate taking out the magazine disconnect.  I did on my MK111 HP, the trigger pull was not improved and the reset went to shit.

I made a promise to myself to send it the Cylinder and Slide and have them do a trigger job on it, but life got in the way, hopefully I'll get that done this year.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
Take it out and shoot it.  I know a lot of people advocate taking out the magazine disconnect.  I did on my MK111 HP, the trigger pull was not improved and the reset went to shit.
View Quote

If you decide to take out the magazine safety, you should/have to change the trigger spring to the two coil version to get the correct reset. Do it at the same time, so you don't have to remove the trigger pin again (lift the trigger spring out of the pin notch before attempting to drive it out). My MkIII definitely benefited from its removal.
Link Posted: 3/5/2024 9:50:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By airman100:

If you decide to take out the magazine safety, you should/have to change the trigger spring to the two coil version to get the correct reset. Do it at the same time, so you don't have to remove the trigger pin again (lift the trigger spring out of the pin notch before attempting to drive it out). My MkIII definitely benefited from its removal.
View Quote

Good advice.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 7:01:06 AM EDT
[#7]
I appreciate the responses guys.  I was aware of the BHSS website and had planned to use them for any upgraded parts I may need.  Regarding the Springfield and Girsan, is there any reason to go with one over the other as regards reliability?  The SA is appealing due to the lack of mag disconnect, better sights, more positive safety, and supposedly decent trigger, but it's early issues give me pause, unless they've officially been resolved.  The Girsan seems to be a more faithful repro of a MkIII, and at a better price point, although it has all of the HPs negatives (real or perceived) as well.

Any more info on the new Inglises that anyone knows about?  I've found about all I could via Google but nothing showing when they might be available.
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 8:29:04 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

Thank you
Springs ordered.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#9]

Thank you
Springs ordered.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thank you
Springs ordered.

I should clarify my pin-moving comment, after re-familiarizing myself with my BHP- the trigger spring fits into a notch in the pin on the underside, keeping it in place. The spring should be pushed down towards the receiver (not lifted) to allow the pin to be driven out, right to left (as you hold the grip). The spring is rather stout, and trying to just brute force the pin out without relieving the holding pressure is likely not to be.. pretty.

It's best to have a cupped punch that fits the rounded right side of the pin as well (BHSpringSolutions sells one), and wrapping the surrounding area with electrical tape is extra insurance against collecting punch skips/tracks along the side.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 9:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
There are some options:

The Browning and FN Hi powers:

I have a couple Mk III Hi Powers and an FN SFS Hi Power. It hard to go wrong with an original.

The FEG Hi Powers

I also have three FEG Hi Powers, but it’s important to understand they come in three different flavors.

The FEG P9 is a very faithful copy of a pre-MK II Hi Power with 100% parts interchangeability.

The first generation FEG P9M had a 1911 style slide release lever. The corresponding small triangular notch in the slide means the slide and slide release lever are not interchangeable with a Hi Power. They also had an extended safety lever and higher profile three dot sights.  Those features are also often found on P9 pistols as well (as is the case in the previous picture).

Converting this 1st Gen P9M to SFS configuration required reprofiling the slide release lever if I wanted to use it.  The other fire control parts required no more than with any Browning or FN Hi Power.

The Second generation P9M looks like a Hi Power externally but uses a Smith and Wesson style operating system. Consequently parts compatibility is fairly low.

If an FEG “Hi Power” looking pistol doesn’t have the little cross bolt oval in the frame on the right side, it’s a second Gen P9M and is not a Hi Power.

There is also the FEG P9R that is often confused with the P9M.  But it’s more of a knock off of the S&W 59, a double action pistol that looks more like a S&W 59 than a Hi Power.

The Girsan Hi Power

The standard models Girsan makes look like faithful Hi Power copies and have a good reputation so far.

However they also have sold a couple variants on the compact theme that FM pursued after their manufacturing license with FN expired.

Girsan makes a Defender (PI) model that is a compact Hi Power with magazine safety and no beaver tail.  However they also make the MC P35 PI LW match with an alloy frame beaver tail and pre- deleted magazine safety. It’s been a superb pistol and is my current concealed carry pistol.  At 21 oz empty it is about 8 oz lighter than a standard Hi Power.

The Springfield SA-35:

Springfield had some teething problems with the pistols but those have been resolved. I’d buy one if I wasn’t already top heavy with Hi Power pistols.  I’d also buy one in preference to FN’s new version of the Hi Power.
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#11]
The Girsans are good, but notice how people are already telling you how to fix the gun, get new springs, etc.  Screw that.  I went with an SA-35 a few months ago and am very pleased with the purchase.  Good to go.  100% reliable, nice finish, and I don't have to immediately start "fixing" it.  Go with the SA-35.

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By astronwolf:
The Girsans are good, but notice how people are already telling you how to fix the gun, get new springs, etc.  Screw that.  I went with an SA-35 a few months ago and am very pleased with the purchase.  Good to go.  100% reliable, nice finish, and I don't have to immediately start "fixing" it.  Go with the SA-35.

View Quote

Technically the person who raised the spring issue used his Browning Mk III as the example.

That was also suggested if the OP opted to remove the magazine safety.

Also note some models of the Girsan MC P35 pistols do not comes with a magazine safety in the first place. That’s the case with the P35 PI LW in my post above.

Link Posted: 3/14/2024 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By astronwolf:

View Quote

Thanks for the reply. This is what I was hoping I might hear. If the SA is good to go, then I don't see a reason to not grab that, especially with the good sights and better trigger. If I take the BHP plunge this is probably the direction I will go.
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 6:55:07 PM EDT
[#14]
If I didn’t already have a mk3 browning I’d spend the money on a springer SA35. They legitimately have excellent customer service in my experience. I’ve shot a cy of the sa35 and the trigger was ‘ok’. When I say ok, it’s comparable to my MK3 with a spring kit and deleted mag safety.   Fwiw dropping the mag safety from my BHP  took about 1/2 lb off the factory 10lb trigger. The spring kit (with stiffer return spring) has it down to maybe 7 lbs. interestingly enough, it’s a surprisingly shootable trigger and I’m comfortable with it as is.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top