Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2024 12:01:11 PM EDT
I had an earlier thread about my Holosun 508t dying. Holosun stepped up and replaced it. No complaints there. However…the replacement has now died. It’s on a carry gun and was working fine when I got up one morning and then sometime during the day, it died. Totally dead. New battery, nothing. Ok.

About to send it to Holosun on their dime and will likely get another new unit (I’m assuming). Now neither unit was abused. Not dropped nor banged or even immersed in water. Just shot and carried.  

So you might assume correctly that 2 failures in a row has me a bit concerned about trusting another one of these 508’s with the green dot.  So does anyone know if other Holosuns have the same footprint/mounting screw locations that would fit my existing plate? It’s mounted on a Springer Champion in .45 using a Chambers plate.

If there are others, can anyone recommend something that’s got a good track record for reliability? I love dot sights and with my aging eyesight they’re a godsend but if I can’t trust it, I’ll have to go back to irons. I’m currently using irons on my backup carry while I resolve this.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
It is an RMR/Holosun footprint so you really have your choice of anything using that footprint.
To be fair I have had two Trijicon and a HS sight issues.  I have two RMR's fail on me and one Holosun sight have an issue it would not fully brighten it would get to half brightness and go no further.  These sights are subject to a lot of G-forces accelerating back from a dead stop to another stop and moving forward.  
If you want you could try one of the Trijicon RMR sights see if you have better luck.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#2]
The 508t uses an RMR footprint, and while Holosun has other RMR footprint compatible options, the 508t is probably considered the most "premium" of those.  So you could go with the 507c or 407c models, but they are kind of a step down.

If you're not married to it being a Holosun, honestly just get an RMR IMO.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Not at all committed to Holosun. I picked them because I liked the supposed durability of a Ti body, the shake-awake and other stuff. Cost mattered (and matters).  I may try to sell any replacment Holosun and go with a closed emitter unit. I’m just very disheartened frankly.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 12:43:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By hsvhobbit:
Not at all committed to Holosun. I picked them because I liked the supposed durability of a Ti body, the shake-awake and other stuff. Cost mattered (and matters).  I may try to sell any replacment Holosun and go with a closed emitter unit. I'm just very disheartened frankly.
View Quote
The only closed emitter that will direct mount to the RMR footprint is the new Trijicon RCR, but those have been tough to come by being so new and in demand.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:02:22 PM EDT
[#5]
You say green reticle.
All your other non Holosun options are red reticle, so maybe, try the red reticle 508T, if that can be worked out with Holosun.

I have one on my SBS, and it's been fine.
Several guys at my agency have 508T red reticles, and have reported no issues.

Jay
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:03:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
The only closed emitter that will direct mount to the RMR footprint is the new Trijicon RCR, but those have been tough to come by being so new and in demand.
View Quote

I thought the EPS (Not carry) was RMR/HS footprint?
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:16:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve wondered if their green emitter models are giving problems. On Holosuns FB page I saw a comment from another 508t green dot user whose unit failed as well.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 1:21:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, the native footprint on the EPS is their K-footprint/RMSc footprint, but it comes with an adaptor plate to mount to an RMR footprint:

EPS-RD-6 has an ultra-low dot height for compatibility with most factory iron sights and utilizes Holosun's proven K footprint. EPS-RD-6 includes an RMR-to-K footprint adapter plate for maximum compatibility.

Link Posted: 2/13/2024 6:19:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EdgecrusherXES] [#9]
No, the native footprint on the EPS is their K-footprint/RMSc footprint, but it comes with an adaptor plate to mount to an RMR footprint:

View All Quotes

Good to know I thought the fullsize EPS was RMR footprint.  I appreciate the information and sharing!

I’ve wondered if their green emitter models are giving problems. On Holosuns FB page I saw a comment from another 508t green dot user whose unit failed as well.

I have all red but that would be interesting if true because red vs green is not the same so if true that kind of sucks.
Link Posted: 2/13/2024 9:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
507K footprint only has 2 lugs, RMSc uses 4 lugs, for a true RMSc footprint to work on a 507K, the rear 2 lugs would need to be removed.

We don't like 508T, every single year the dimensions are slightly different.  While 407C and 507C have remained consistent, a 2020 and 2022 508T are loose on our plate, but a 2023 unit was tight, we can't confidently say if new 2024 production ones will be looser or tighter.  Without being able to hold the sight from moving before the sight to plate screws are installed, there's a much greater chance of the sight loosening screws.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 12:05:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DukeFan23] [#11]
Just get an RMR 06 Type 2 and be done with it.  Or an HD if you absolutely need different reticles and top mounted battery.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 10:24:46 AM EDT
[#12]
RMR, RMR HD, RCR, SRO, ACRO, DPP.  Plenty of choices from manufacturers in the US or allied countries.

Folks use H sights on our plates and we can't support and help them adequately, we made this clear by stating we do not support Holosun sights.  I don't know the tensile strength of these Chinese made screws, I'm sure they're not the 140,000 PSI US made ones we use, and we can't replace them for the customers (their 6-32 screws have a 90 degrees countersink, ours have a 82 degrees countersink for RMR and SRO.)  If they use the wrong screws they'd bend our plate.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:12:05 PM EDT
[#13]

View All Quotes

EPS and EPS carry are both K-Cut

EPS is just a larger size box. It is supposed to come with an adapter to fit a slide that is already RMR cut however.

I don't know if that actually happens.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 2:14:57 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder how many 508Ts have failed when mounted to a quality milled slide instead of relying on plates?

Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By DavidY:
I wonder how many 508Ts have failed when mounted to a quality milled slide instead of relying on plates?

View Quote

I only know two people with them one has on a P10S and the other has on a Glock 19 Brownells slide both are red.  The P10S I know has seen some abuse it is my best friends pistol and he had it knocked out of his holster on top of a 8ft ladder and smack a concrete floor.
Link Posted: 2/14/2024 3:47:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#16]
I don't think the presence of the plate is related to the sight's failure, other than if and when the screws loosen or shear and the sights flying off.  The 0.10 or less height it'd add to its mounted height on the the slide would make no differerece insofar as the sight's durability is concerned, the sight succeeds or fails on its own, with or without a plate.

While 407C and 507C closely match RMR's dimensions, 508C hasn't always done that (as previously mentioned) in our experience, the loose fit on the slide or plate can cause the sight to loosen and shear screws, enough so we don't recommend 508T on our plates.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:09:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
I don't think the presence of the plate is related to the sight's failure, other than if and when the screws loosen or shear and the sights flying off.  The 0.10 or less height it'd add to its mounted height on the the slide would make no differerece insofar as the sight's durability is concerned, the sight succeeds or fails on its own, with or without a plate.

While 407C and 507C closely match RMR's dimensions, 508C hasn't always done that (as previously mentioned) in our experience, the loose fit on the slide or plate can cause the sight to loosen and shear screws, enough so we don't recommend 508T on our plates.
View Quote

A tightly machined pocket shouldn't allow any fire/aft movement, even without screws. That's why I'm asking about a properly milled slide.  Not a hack job RMR cut with bigger gaps than are between Stacey Abrams teeth.

I've heard about more RMR failures than I have about the 508T failing, so there's something going on that needs an answer besides "chyner sux'.

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:13:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By DukeFan23:
Just get an RMR 06 Type 2 and be done with it.  Or an HD if you absolutely need different reticles and top mounted battery.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/15/2024 11:45:43 AM EDT
[#19]
Great. So it sounds like the 508t is NOT the solid unit I’d hoped it was when I selected it. I’m sending it off this morning and will call Holosun about my options. I suspect per the terms of their warrenty that I’m stuck just getting an exact replacement.  ‘Maybe’ they’ll let me get red instead of green. I picked green because to my eyes it’s sharper and more defined than red.  Sigh.

IF I get the option, is there a better unit in their lineup that’s got a solid track record?  Or hell,  maybe I just need to try and sell the replacement and put that towards an RMR or Acro. I honestly can’t and won’t afford to buy 5-6 sights hoping one will hold up.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:21:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Great. So it sounds like the 508t is NOT the solid unit I'd hoped it was when I selected it. I'm sending it off this morning and will call Holosun about my options. I suspect per the terms of their warrenty that I'm stuck just getting an exact replacement.  'Maybe' they'll let me get red instead of green. I picked green because to my eyes it's sharper and more defined than red.  Sigh.

IF I get the option, is there a better unit in their lineup that's got a solid track record?  Or hell,  maybe I just need to try and sell the replacement and put that towards an RMR or Acro. I honestly can't and won't afford to buy 5-6 sights hoping one will hold up.
View Quote
Acro won't fit that cut.
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:48:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Duffy] [#21]
Some of the P2 clones won't fit an Aimpoint P2 TDP footprint, let alone the 509T.

One of the reasons we'd never make a plate for it is the rather short cross bar, P2's cross bar is more than 2x as tall, and 509T's cross bar doesn't run the entire width of the sight.  If the sight doesn't stay put, folks quickly point their finger at the plate.  I've seen chewed up cheap 6061 plates in the area where the cross bar abruptly ends and leaves a void, they are all damaged there.  A steel plate would withstand this much better, but still won't compensate for the rather short cross bar that is a recoil lug.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/15/2024 12:49:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Sigh again.  Yeah just looked at the Aimpoint website and concluded the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top