Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2020 8:16:06 PM EDT

Test Gun: FN Baby Browning
Barrel length: 2.11 inches.
Ammunition: Hornady .25 ACP 35gr FTX Critical Defense.
Test media: 10% Clear Ballistics Gel.
Distance: 10 feet.
Chronograph: Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph G2.
Five shot velocity average: 767fps
Gel Temperature 70 degrees.

This should probably be called “friends don’t let friends carry a 25”. I was able to borrow an FN Baby Browning to test some .25 Auto. This gun is little and I mean little. I don’t see how you could make a pistol any smaller and still have any practicality at all. The size and almost non-existence sights make it very hard to shoot well.

I got a five-shot average velocity of 767fps with a high of 791fps and a low of 752fps.

Five shots offhand at five yards

The first round in the bare gel had a velocity of725fps and penetrated to 12.25 inches. There was not expansion and the recovered weight was 35.1 grains. The second round’s velocity was 777fps and it penetrated to 9.75 inches. The hollow point deformed but did not expand over its original size. The recovered weight was 35 grains.

When shot in the gel-covered with the heavy clothing the first round had a velocity of 801fps and it penetrated to 12.25 inches. There was not expansion and the recovered weight was 35.1 grains. The last round penetrated to 9.5 inches with no expansion. Its recovered weight was 35.1 grains also and there was not a velocity reading.

I’m going to try and wrap this up tomorrow and return the pistol. Next will be the Hornady 35gr XTP and then some Fiocchi FMJ.

https://generalcartridge.wordpress.com
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Man if the CD round doesn't expand I doubt the XTP will.  Am interested in the tests thou.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#2]
If I had to use a .25, I think a truncated cone might perform the best.  (Provided it was reliable, of course).

Asking the .25 to both expand and penetrate is simply asking for too much.

Interesting test.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:52:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: spydercomonkey] [#3]
.25 can be loaded much hotter, its just no manufacturers have.

My friend was handloading for his Jetfire, +p++ loads.

35gr @ 1300fps / 50gr @ 1000fps from a 2.375" Jetfire barrel. He must have fire 3k of those without damaging the gun.

Taken to a less extreme level, there's no reason it can't be loaded to 900-1000fps from the factory.

SAAMI is 25kpsi for .25 Auto vs 24k for .22lr, so there's no reason .25 should be slower then .22lr, especially when we factor in the wider swept bore volume of .251 vs .224.

.22lr launches a 36gr @ 850-900fps from the same barrel length as this 35gr @ 796fps .25:
http://mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2013/05/22-long-rifle-cheap-stuff-ballistics.html
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#4]
The 25 seem unnecessarily neutered probably due to the crappy guns that are common in this cal.

It's begging for a 50gr flat nose, maybe hard cast, going a solid 850-900 from a 2" barrel. That would probably still be in spec and not +P.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:12:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to see a extreme penetrator solid copper pill made !! Even a extreme defense one too, with all the new technology in bullets being made currently. I'm sure UnderWood ammo could work up a nice load. Just picked up a Beretta Mod 20 yesterday and love this little tip up barrel pistol. It's meant as a get off me gun and would not want to get hit in the face with 9 rounds of anything
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top