Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2023 9:27:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver]
Buddy just showed me the guns he lost in a house fire last week. He had a holosun he pulled out of the rubble that was still turned on and working. Laying right next to it was an aimpoint T2 on a rifle that didn't survive.

Color me impressed.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 9:45:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Wow he should send the pics and story to Holosun.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 10:14:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Have two of them myself and love all they are. People slam them for being Chinese. Maybe they fire tested them before sale too!

Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 12/11/2023 11:30:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I greatly enjoy my Holosun 512. I just wish it had a protective shell ala the Sig Romero 8T
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#5]
That T2 looks like it was exposed to more heat.

Today's "higher end" optics like the pictured Holosun are very durable and impressive.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Were all his guns destroyed?  Friend of mine had a house fire where all his firearms were cooked even the safe did not help them survive.  I donated a Glock to him right after to have a handgun and we built an AR15 off one of my lowers right after.  Your buddy have a donation site?  He an ARFCOM member?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 1:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
Were all his guns destroyed?  Friend of mine had a house fire where all his firearms were cooked even the safe did not help them survive.  I donated a Glock to him right after to have a handgun and we built an AR15 off one of my lowers right after.  Your buddy have a donation site?  He an ARFCOM member?
View Quote

No fortunately he had more than one property that he stored firearms in. He had some cans in the safe of the house that burned, and while the safe was in rough shape the cans appear to be serviceable.

Not an afrcom member and no donation site. He's going through the long and arduous process of insurance claims. They have him Posted up in a hotel for now.
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#8]
He did reach out to some companies to see if they would warranty a total loss in a house fire. None of these companies had an obligation to replace anything, so I thought I'd give them a shout out for helping my friend.

Aimpoint replaced the T2 with no questions asked

Unity replaced all his mounts and sent him some clothes, t-shirts and what not. Pretty cool. He lost most of his clothes in the fire.

Sons of liberty gun works replaced the parts he lost of theirs.

And then sig I believe sent some replacement small parts.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
He did reach out to some companies to see if they would warranty a total loss in a house fire. None of these companies had an obligation to replace anything, so I thought I'd give them a shout out for helping my friend.

Aimpoint replaced the T2 with no questions asked

Unity replaced all his mounts and sent him some clothes, t-shirts and what not. Pretty cool. He lost most of his clothes in the fire.

Sons of liberty gun works replaced the parts he lost of theirs.

And then sig I believe sent some replacement small parts.
View Quote

That is really awesome!
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:20:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:

View Quote

Really cool of them to go that.

Did his groceries get ruined? He should make a call

Sorry, saw their clothing last week and found this picture online

Yes, even Aldi branded shoes. They TOTALLY know some of their wacky customers (as I lay on my Aldi queen size mattresses and turn on my 48" Aldi TV).
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 1:21:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Also good to hear as I have a SCS arriving this week
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:27:43 PM EDT
[#12]
This post reminds me of the now debunked car-fire Stanley tumbler ...
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:29:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#13]
A house fire can reach 1100F in the first 180 seconds.  Depending on the fuel and duration it can continue to climb. Aluminum melts at 1221F ...

Did the Holosun still have ice in it?

I'm not picking on you OP.  I just watched a YT video where they conducted a test to see if that viral Stanley tumbler survives car-fire with ice still solid was real.  It was not, but it sure did sell a lot of those overpriced mugs.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 7:57:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:
A house fire can reach 1100F in the first 180 seconds.  Depending on the fuel and duration it can continue to climb. Aluminum melts at 1221F ...

Did the Holosun still have ice in it?

I'm not picking on you OP.  I just watched a YT video where they conducted a test to see if that viral Stanley tumbler survives car-fire with ice still solid was real.  It was not, but it sure did sell a lot of those overpriced mugs.

View Quote

Nice call out

GaryT1776, have you been inside a house that was on fire?  Try it sometime and you'll realize the entire structure doesn't become ten brazilian degrees that can melt everything in itself path.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 3:41:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryT1776] [#15]
Originally Posted By DavidY:

Nice call out

GaryT1776, have you been inside a house that was on fire?  Try it sometime and you'll realize the entire structure doesn't become ten brazilian degrees that can melt everything in itself path.
View Quote

Your statement is somewhat disingenuous.  To claim something survived a fire but then qualify the statement (after it is questioned) by insinuating that the "surviving item might not of actually been in the fire" is *meh*.

To answer your question, I have 32 years of experience with the design and construction of structures to resist and/or mitigate hazards (including fire) as well as:

Investigations involving fires;
Reclamation work after fires;
Design and reconstruction of fire damaged structures (after evaluating the integrity of the structure with the power to condemn or rebuild it);
Very close ties with the local FD (hose house personnel as well as fire marshals and admin);
etc.

My work has included structure fires resulting in human fatalities.

So, yah, I probably know a little about how structures respond in a fire.

You do you and I'll do me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 5:41:16 PM EDT
[#16]
I was just going to order an SCS 320 this week as I really like my SCS MOS, but I just got the new release SCRS for my PCC and it arrived unable to change the MRS reticle system, stuck on dot. HS sent a label
hopefully it will get replaced rather than repaired as I'm a little uneasy with the whole situation, not sure how something brand new can get sent out without testing the basic operation but it did.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 11:01:15 AM EDT
[#17]
House fires can be weird.  A friend of mine had one.  A box of aluminum stripped lower receivers was completely consumed, yet some Pmags survived unscathed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2024 11:31:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#18]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

Your statement is somewhat disingenuous.  To claim something survived a fire but then qualify the statement (after it is questioned) by insinuating that the "surviving item might not of actually been in the fire" is *meh*.

To answer your question, I have 32 years of experience with the design and construction of structures to resist and/or mitigate hazards (including fire) as well as:

Investigations involving fires;
Reclamation work after fires;
Design and reconstruction of fire damaged structures (after evaluating the integrity of the structure with the power to condemn or rebuild it);
Very close ties with the local FD (hose house personnel as well as fire marshals and admin);
etc.

My work has included structure fires resulting in human fatalities.

So, yah, I probably know a little about how structures respond in a fire.

You do you and I'll do me.
View Quote

Firefighters in the other thread I made in GD said the same as the guy above. That they find shit in fires all the time that should have burned and didn't.

This house was a total loss and was pulled down while they were extinguishing. The guns were pulled put of the rubble. May not have touched raw flame for long but the exposure to the elements and sitting in wet ash for a few days alone is impressive imo.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
I went out and shot the gun with my buddy today. The reticle is actually warped. I tried to take a pic but it doesn't show well. The reticle is stretched diagonally.

However it is still zeroed. I was smacking a 6 inch popper at 25 yards without issue. Pretty neat. Gun looks rough, this is after it got cleaned up a little. Suprisingly it still shoots great.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top