Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2023 9:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: catmech]
I was given a highpower,I know nothing about them.The person who gave it to me thought it was broken because he pulled the hammer back and when he pulled the trigger nothing happened.There is no magazine with the gun,does the highpower have a magazine disconnect?
The gun is marked made in Belgium,above that it is marked Browning Arms Company Morgan Utah & Montreal PO or PQ. It has a rear adjustable sight.Serial number starts with 76Cxxxxx.Can anybody give me information
on what I have?
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, they have a mag disconnect.  It can be removed.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#2]
IIRC all Hiig Powers have the "disconect" it is possible to disable. "C" series is  w/ that slide stamping is still made in Belgium I think. If assembled in Portugal slide would be marked so. Fixed or adjustable sights? Ring or spur hammer? Nice gift! Mags shouldn't be difficult to find. Look for "mousetrap" mags if you want ones that drop free easily.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:56:31 PM EDT
[#3]
The serial number indicates it was made in 1976.  As previous poster indicated you can't drop the hammer if the magazine is re.oved. many people remove that part for reasons.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:50:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: catmech] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:
IIRC all Hiig Powers have the "disconect" it is possible to disable. "C" series is  w/ that slide stamping is still made in Belgium I think. If assembled in Portugal slide would be marked so. Fixed or adjustable sights? Ring or spur hammer? Nice gift! Mags shouldn't be difficult to find. Look for "mousetrap" mags if you want ones that drop free easily.
View Quote

It has adjustable sights and a spur hammer.What are "mousetrap"mags?What is the capacity of the factory mags?How much are they usually worth?It has very little wear on it.
@LittleAugieMo
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 5:52:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Go here OP. and yes, they have a mag disconnect.
https://hipowersandhandguns.com/
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:26:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By catmech:

It has adjustable sights and a spur hammer.What are "mousetrap"mags?What is the capacity of the factory mags?How much are they usually worth?It has very little wear on it.
@LittleAugieMo
View Quote

Mags will either be 13 or 15 rounds, with the latter being the more commonly seen option, especially with aftermarket mags.

Mec-Gar makes good Hi Power mags, in both 13 and 15 round flavors, along with 10 round versions for areas with capacity limits.

Also note, there is a difference between ‘Hi Power’ and ‘High Power’ guns and accessories. ‘High Power’ refers to recently released facsimile of the original ‘Hi Power’, while similar in looks, nothing is shared with the original design that you have.

Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By 4FishLimit:

Mags will either be 13 or 15 rounds, with the latter being the more commonly seen option, especially with aftermarket mags.

Mec-Gar makes good Hi Power mags, in both 13 and 15 round flavors, along with 10 round versions for areas with capacity limits.

Also note, there is a difference between ‘Hi Power’ and ‘High Power’ guns and accessories. ‘High Power’ refers to recently released facsimile of the original ‘Hi Power’, while similar in looks, nothing is shared with the original design that you have.

View Quote

Thanks for the information,I had heard they came out with a new one but didn't know they spelled it different
or the parts didn't interchange.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:36:23 PM EDT
[#8]
The "mousetrap" mag has a loop of spring wire sticking out of the back of the magazine that vaguely resembles the hoop on a mousetrap.  The purpose of this wire is to press on the bottom of the butt of the pistol and help the magazine to overcome the friction of the mag safety and drop free.  It's not that useful, in my experience.  Mec-Gar mags are good quality and readily available.  

You got a free C-series Hi-Power - nice score!  Those are generally more valuable than the later HP's with 245 serial prefixes - probably $1000 or so, but possibly more in good condition, with accessories, or to the right person.  I wish people would just gift me guns sometime.    Buy some mags, shoot it, and enjoy your new gun.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:42:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By BobTheGreat:
The "mousetrap" mag has a loop of spring wire sticking out of the back of the magazine that vaguely resembles the hoop on a mousetrap.  The purpose of this wire is to press on the bottom of the butt of the pistol and help the magazine to overcome the friction of the mag safety and drop free.  It's not that useful, in my experience.  Mec-Gar mags are good quality and readily available.  

https://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Shooting%20the%20Forty%20Caliber%20Hi%20Power_files/image002.jpg

You got a free C-series Hi-Power - nice score!  Those are generally more valuable than the later HP's with 245 serial prefixes - probably $1000 or so, but possibly more in good condition, with accessories, or to the right person.  I wish people would just gift me guns sometime.    Buy some mags, shoot it, and enjoy your new gun.
View Quote

Thanks for the information.I'm not sure but it might not have ever been fired.A neighbor who is not a gun person gave it to me,it was his brothers who died back in 2014.He brought it back with no magazine wrapped
it in a t-shirt and stuck it in a closet,I was talking to him and mentioned a recent gunshow and he asked me if I
had ever worked on guns because he had one that was broke and I could have it if I wanted it.Of course I
took it I'd never turn down a free gun,I expected a cheap .22 revolver and about shit my pants when I saw it was a Hi Power.I'll have to start calling the gun shops and get a magazine for it.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 1:25:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Damn!  Any houses for sale in your neighborhood?  Wish you'd brought your neighbor to breakfast last weekend.  

13 round was the original capacity of those mags, going back to the pre-2nd WW Belgian Army contract.  Nazis made em during the 2nd WW, as did the Canadians, who shipped a lot of em to Republican China.  Belgians resumed making them after the war and made em up til recently in Portugal, then the Turks & Springfield took up the slack.  Plenty of mags knocking around, most modern pistol metal 9x19mm doublestack mags are based on the HiPower design - but of course won't interchange w/o cutting a new mag catch.
Link Posted: 4/7/2023 12:34:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Damn!  Any houses for sale in your neighborhood?  Wish you'd brought your neighbor to breakfast last weekend.  

13 round was the original capacity of those mags, going back to the pre-2nd WW Belgian Army contract.  Nazis made em during the 2nd WW, as did the Canadians, who shipped a lot of em to Republican China.  Belgians resumed making them after the war and made em up til recently in Portugal, then the Turks & Springfield took up the slack.  Plenty of mags knocking around, most modern pistol metal 9x19mm doublestack mags are based on the HiPower design - but of course won't interchange w/o cutting a new mag catch.
View Quote

It was 2 days after the show.He had seen me walking up and down the street getting ready for the show and asked me after the show what was going on and that is how this story started
I'm visiting my daughter this weekend in OKC so I'll hit the gun shops down there,I should be able to find something.Then I have to decide what to do with it,keep it,sell it or trade it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top