Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2022 3:24:34 PM EDT
Use the FN screws.
I shot my FN 509 Tactical with a Holosun 507C today for the first time.  I mounted it using the Holosun factory screws with Loctite already on them and two mags in, the sight whacked me in the forehead on the way to the ground.  Screws had backed out.
Luckily, I brought the FN screws with me in the bag and was able to reinstall the sight at the range.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
That sucks. I can't remember which screws I used on mine but have fortunately never had an issue. How do you like your 507c? I like the ability to change the reticle type and it seems pretty rugged.
Link Posted: 8/18/2022 7:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By patw:
That sucks. I can't remember which screws I used on mine but have fortunately never had an issue. How do you like your 507c? I like the ability to change the reticle type and it seems pretty rugged.
View Quote

It's a lot easier to adjust than the Vortex Viper on my Walther.  And it's rugged enough to survive bouncing off my head and then hitting the gravel!  
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 5:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I always add an extra drop of blue loctite to all the screws. I also take a fine paint pen and mark a line that runs from the screws over to some part of the sight body; to make sure they are not backing out.  Those two things combined with common sense torqueing, I have never lost a bolt on accessory.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Taskmaster86:
I always add an extra drop of blue loctite to all the screws.
View Quote

Except the FN recommendation is to put the screws in dry, to a different torque, no thread lock.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 9:58:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RikWriter:
Use the FN screws.
I shot my FN 509 Tactical with a Holosun 507C today for the first time.  I mounted it using the Holosun factory screws with Loctite already on them and two mags in, the sight whacked me in the forehead on the way to the ground.  Screws had backed out.
Luckily, I brought the FN screws with me in the bag and was able to reinstall the sight at the range.
View Quote

You should mark the screws to the MRDS with a paint pen or silver Sharpie.  Easier to see if they start to back off.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DOE:

You should mark the screws to the MRDS with a paint pen or silver Sharpie.  Easier to see if they start to back off.  
View Quote

They backed all the way out after less than two magazines through the gun.
Link Posted: 8/21/2022 10:35:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I heard of the "self tightening" screws FN told one of our customers.  

With our one piece plate, we supply 2 screws (had to get them custom made, would have preferred to just source them from the source, alas FN doesn't deal with small fish like us), a packet of VC-3 and specify a torque value for the screws.
Link Posted: 8/24/2022 10:36:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By leelaw:
Except the FN recommendation is to put the screws in dry, to a different torque, no thread lock.
View Quote

Clearly that recommendation worked so well....

Common sense will always win the day.
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 1:46:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Taskmaster86:

Clearly that recommendation worked so well....

Common sense will always win the day.
View Quote

Except OP said he did not use the FN-provided screws. You misreading something?
Link Posted: 8/26/2022 2:13:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RABIDFOX50] [#10]
Originally Posted By Duffy:
I heard of the "self tightening" screws FN told one of our customers.  

With our one piece plate, we supply 2 screws (had to get them custom made, would have preferred to just source them from the source, alas FN doesn't deal with small fish like us), a packet of VC-3 and specify a torque value for the screws.
View Quote

600 rounds with your plate and screws and still rock solid on my 509T and G45 MOS (1K +). I gave those crappy MOS plates away, lol.
Link Posted: 9/4/2023 10:04:25 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same exact scenario yesterday. I had fired 8 or 9 rounds and adjusting the reticle as I went. Just got it on point and boom, Holosun, hit me in the top of the head on the way to the ground. Found the plates and screws but did not re-install. Will use the FN screws going forward.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top