Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/19/2023 3:29:09 PM EDT
Title says it all.

The Tisas aviator is said to be a lightweight commander 1911.  A few shops have stock numbers for them online. Will these actually come to market, and if so, when?
Link Posted: 7/19/2023 11:32:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By aswrg7:
Title says it all.

The Tisas aviator is said to be a lightweight commander 1911.  A few shops have stock numbers for them online. Will these actually come to market, and if so, when?
View Quote

As in aluminum frame and/or slide ?

Just seeing the word "Aviator" today for the first time when it comes to Tisas...
Link Posted: 7/20/2023 4:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RiverSwine45] [#2]
Lipseys catalog item.

Edit
I kinda wish it came out before the tank commander. A lightweight commander with Aviator on the slide is more my style.
Link Posted: 7/21/2023 8:43:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RiverSwine45:

I kinda wish it came out before the tank commander. A lightweight commander with Aviator on the slide is more my style.
View Quote
I agree. I'd have purchased this over the steel frame as well.

It looks like this will sell for about $50 more than the TC though.

Link Posted: 7/21/2023 7:24:19 PM EDT
[#4]
It's gotta be soon.

Live inventory is showing out of stock, but prices have gone hot.
So a fixed dealer price has been finalized.
WAG: They are probably in country and somewhere between ATF import purgatory and the importers warehouse.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/26/2023 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#6]
And this gun can use any 1911 mags, without the follower chewing up the aluminum?

Any way you could possibly sneak a pic for us? I heard on another forum that they were black slides and raw ano frames.... which is my favorite 1911 look.

This does have the arched mainspring housing, right?

Sorry for all the questions, I am super excited about the Aviator.
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 8:38:03 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 9:42:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By SDSImports:

" And this gun can use any 1911 mags, without the follower chewing up the aluminum?" I am unfamiliar with this....
View Quote
It's a problem with some cheaply made, replica GI magazines.
The ones that have been sold for decades for $5 each at gun shows.

The  cheapest GI 1911 follower is a simple L shaped piece of steel,  with the short leg of the L acting against the back of the magazine as a very vestigial anti tilt.
It's just long enough to keep the follower from being able to rotate forward inside the magazine,  becoming an upwards facing arrow.
This design of follower is a fraction of a penny cheaper to produce than an upside down U shaped follower.
The magazine spring coils were also undersized front-rear.
Because that's a penny cheaper too.
This is the source of the problem for aluminum framed 1911s.

So, as the slide trys to strip off the last round, the follower will ride along with the round until the pointed tip of it hits the bottom of the feed ramp.
Then the round strips off.

On a steel frame,  this isn't a problem.
On an aluminum frame, the pointy steel tip of the cheesy $5 magazine beats up the lowest spot on the aluminum feed ramp.
And as you pull out the magazine,  it scars up the mag well too.

Naturally,  the owner of the $5 magazine will blame the $600 gun, instead of their own false economy.

" The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ~ Benjamin Franklin
Link Posted: 7/27/2023 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
It's a problem with some cheaply made, replica GI magazines.
The ones that have been sold for decades for $5 each at gun shows.

The  cheapest GI 1911 follower is a simple L shaped piece of steel,  with the short leg of the L acting against the back of the magazine as a very vestigial anti tilt.
It's just long enough to keep the follower from being able to rotate forward inside the magazine,  becoming an upwards facing arrow.
This design of follower is a fraction of a penny cheaper to produce than an upside down U shaped follower.
The magazine spring coils were also undersized front-rear.
Because that's a penny cheaper too.
This is the source of the problem for aluminum framed 1911s.

So, as the slide trys to strip off the last round, the follower will ride along with the round until the pointed tip of it hits the bottom of the feed ramp.
Then the round strips off.

On a steel frame,  this isn't a problem.
On an aluminum frame, the pointy steel tip of the cheesy $5 magazine beats up the lowest spot on the aluminum feed ramp.
And as you pull out the magazine,  it scars up the mag well too.

Naturally,  the owner of the $5 magazine will blame the $600 gun, instead of their own false economy.

" The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ~ Benjamin Franklin
View Quote

Yeah this is what I am speaking of. Skirted followers seem to do pretty good, or I think some guns have a steel insert at the ramp so this doesn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 10:17:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Planning board shows Sept 2023.
View Quote
@SDSImports

What happened with the Aviator?

Link Posted: 9/21/2023 12:46:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ThePencilBarrelTaco:

Yeah this is what I am speaking of. Skirted followers seem to do pretty good, or I think some guns have a steel insert at the ramp so this doesn't matter.
View Quote
Off the top of my head,  Ruger 1911s have the insert.

Colt, Dan Wesson,  do not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:02:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/22/2023 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Classical sexy.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/28/2023 9:08:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/28/2023 11:55:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2023 2:01:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Only available as a two tone?
Link Posted: 11/29/2023 12:52:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By divkat9:
Only available as a two tone?
View Quote

I was looking at the Tank Commander… would be great if the made a LW version
Link Posted: 12/10/2023 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#18]
In stock at one of my distributors.
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 3:59:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: piperpa24] [#19]
That is one more I'd pull the trigger on.  I'm not a two-tone fan though, and why can't I get one of these fine pistols in a blued finish?
Link Posted: 12/13/2023 4:22:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
That is one more I'd pull the trigger on.  I'm not a two-tone fan though, and why can't I get one of these fine pistols in a blued finish?
View Quote
The frame is aluminum.

It can't be blued. Only anodized, or coated.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:09:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#21]
Originally Posted By Bullet_:
The frame is aluminum.

It can't be blued. Only anodized, or coated.
View Quote
I think a black anodized frame would have looked better. It could have been a nice Colt Lightweight Commander clone.

I might get one and Gunkote the frame black to match my Tanker.

Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:02:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Who has the best price on one? I want a 1911 in 9mm. Was thinking of a colt commander in 9mm but this one might be good.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 10:58:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Ivan1:
Who has the best price on one? I want a 1911 in 9mm. Was thinking of a colt commander in 9mm but this one might be good.
View Quote

Look at Family Firearms, Troy Ala. Add to cart for best price. $400.00.
Ships quickly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 12:55:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
I think a black anodized frame would have looked better. It could have been a nice Colt Lightweight Commander clone.

I might get one and Gunkote the frame black to match my Tanker.

View Quote
Yes, black anodized would work for me. I really like my Service 1911A1 in black - changed out the grips to Rosewood and it looks great now.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By piperpa24:
Yes, black anodized would work for me. I really like my Service 1911A1 in black - changed out the grips to Rosewood and it looks great now.
View Quote

What would the cost of a cerekote, or something similar?
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]
$100 give or take.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:51:08 AM EDT
[#27]
I've had mine for about a month. Only had it out once so far, but it shoots to point of aim out to 25yds, and the trigger pull is around 3# and very crisp. Ejection seems fine, but it's hard to tell from an indoor range session where the brass is bouncing off the dividers.

I'm not a big fan of two-tone, but it's growing on me. When I think of LW Commanders, this is the picture that always pops into my head:

Link Posted: 1/7/2024 11:51:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Any chance you could weigh that with an empty mag inserted?
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By dogtired:
Any chance you could weigh that with an empty mag inserted?
View Quote

Mine is 29.0 oz with an empty mag. I also have a Colt polymer MSH installed, which knocks a lot of weight off. I've put these on my 1911's for years and never had an issue with them.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#30]
Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 3:40:44 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:
I've had mine for about a month. Only had it out once so far, but it shoots to point of aim out to 25yds, and the trigger pull is around 3# and very crisp. Ejection seems fine, but it's hard to tell from an indoor range session where the brass is bouncing off the dividers.

https://i.ibb.co/RhL0ySQ/IMG-1251.jpg

I'm not a big fan of two-tone, but it's growing on me. When I think of LW Commanders, this is the picture that always pops into my head:

https://www.coltforum.com/attachments/coopers-commander-ii-jpg.709511/
View Quote

@sgtlmj does it have a ramped barrel?
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 8:56:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By AASG:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By sgtlmj:

https://i.ibb.co/RhL0ySQ/IMG-1251.jpg

https://www.coltforum.com/attachments/coopers-commander-ii-jpg.709511/

@AASG Yes, a Clark/Para ramp. Mine's for sale in the EE.
Link Posted: 4/10/2024 9:12:15 AM EDT
[#33]
@sgtlmj I copied your gun I liked it so much.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#34]

" And this gun can use any 1911 mags, without the follower chewing up the aluminum?" I am unfamiliar with this....
View Quote

This shouldn't be an issue if it has a ramped barrel, right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:12:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AASG] [#35]
I wanted the tank commander, then I saw this one. Now I want both. I really like that old school look of the commander hammer and GI grip safety.
According to specs I read the aviator is only 3oz lighter, is that correct?
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#36]
I wanted the tank commander, then I saw this one. Now I want both. I really like that old school look of the commander hammer and GI grip safety.
According to specs I read the aviator is only 3oz lighter, is that correct?
View Quote
Weight savings of the aluminum VS steel  Commander 1911s is right about 5 ounces.
29. something VS 34. something,  depending on how aggressively the MFG does their frame lines and extra doo dad cuts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top