Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/24/2024 2:46:46 PM EDT
Seems like more or less the same style offering at 60% the price.

Poly frame, DA/SA hammer fired pistol.

Is there a reason it gets no love?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 2:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Sig just didn't support it.  As the world went striker fired it just slipped by the wayside.  Out of the box trigger is awesome smooth, most agree better than any classic Sig (226, 220 etc)  Interchangeable back straps for fit.  Hell of a pistol.  

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 3:32:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I love mine but as the previous poster said, next to no support for it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Buy the USP
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It’s a cheaply made gun that is pretty clunky.  The parts aren’t well finished, the trigger is stamped steel that feels strange, and it has a mediocre trigger pull.  Its proportions are off for what it is, also.  Anyone that claims it, in any way, holds a candle to classic P series is lying.  Also, it’s magazines have been fairly expensive for a “cheap” gun, and none of the holsters made for its contracts have ever trickled down to US markets, although there are a few more available than there were, and strangely a few more makers have jumped on board.  Also, the interchangeable grips are a gimmick, on this gun, and SIG has a history of shipping ones that are out of spec and can cause failures to fire.  

Honestly, the gun is reliable, but otherwise is really a turd.  I’ve shot the original PRO in 40 and currently own a 2022 that never leaves the safe
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:41:50 AM EDT
[#5]
The SAR ST10 is the poor man's HK USP
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Big fan of mine for about 6 yrs. Very similar hand/aim/pull as the 226. You may never ever see another backstrap. No denying the polymer advantage if you have to leave it in your car at work all day, then re-arm at whatever temp it may be.

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 6:55:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Probably one best, smoothest DA triggers out there
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought one 3 or 4 years ago.  I wanted to like it.  Looks good. Feels okay in my hand.  DA trigger is actually very controllable.  I know when it's going to release the hammer and fire.  You can feel it easily as the trigger gets to that spot.  Mags. were no more expensive than the CZ P07 and P09 when they first came out 10 or 12 years ago.  I don't even like decocker pistols (all my Omega CZ's have the safeties installed and all my CZ 75 types are safety models).

For me the 2022 9MM failed in the accuracy department vs. the CZ pistols and the M&P Shield models.  I did find one promising reload with some 115 grain FMJ and Green Dot powder.  Didn't try to reload any 115 grain hollow points with that powder though.

I really wanted to like it more.

As to SIG not supporting it, that's the story of my SIG purchases.  556R, 522 and then the 2022.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:33:02 AM EDT
[#9]
The rumor is, Sig USA and Ron Cohen hate the SP2022. The SP2022 directly competed with Ron’s baby in the Sig P250. The Sig SP2022 deal was put together by Sig Switzerland for the French national police back in 2002 and the contract didn’t expire until 2022. The contract was a direct follow up to the SP2009 contract. So even though Sig USA owned all of Sig, they were still stuck with the SP2022 contract. The original SP2022s were made in Switzerland, then Germany and final production has been in the US since 2010. It has went though some various changes like switching from the proprietary Sig rail to a true 1913 rail, the extractor moving from internal to the external short extractor, the mag catch design which was used on the P250 and currently the 320, has been tweaked over the years. They have also added a LCI which wasn’t on the orginal SP2022. The SP2022 is a really great pistol and saw some success being issued all over the world. I don’t know how much longer Sig will continue to make the SP2022. They don’t really advertise it at all and for $450-$500 you get tritium sights and a fantastic DA/SA pistol. I’d love to see Sig offer the Compact version like the one that was made over seas years ago but I doubt that will ever happen. I figure Sig will kill the SP2022 off in a year or two if not sooner. Maybe we will get lucky and Langdon or Wilson will take an interest in it and the platform will see a resurgence like the PX4 saw.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:38:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I had SP2022s in 9mm and .40S&W many years ago. Both shot just fine and were comfortable to shoot. I had no complaints while I owned them (for a few years). I eventually ended up selling them, but only because we fell on some hard financial times and I needed to turn many of my firearms into cash. To this day, the guy (former co-worker) to whom I sold the 9mm version still likes it and that has been for 12 years. The guy that bought the .40A&W version moved out of state and no longer stays in touch. Now, would I make any comparison with the SP2022 and a HK USP? No. The HK is, by far, a better pistol, but the SP2022 is a good pistol for what it is and deserves some positive credit. After all, it is a SIG.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:41:20 AM EDT
[#11]
the 2022 is the ONLY  poly gun I own.  Phenominal firear.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:49:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably not but I believe it's still a great gun. I paid for my USP9 what SP2022s were going for a few years ago. I think I preferred the trigger on the Sig but the HK is its own animal.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 7:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I love it.  I have many handguns and find it a great choice from that era of when guns with hammers were preferred by Law Enforcement.

Anyone looking for older Sig craftsmanship won't appreciate it, but it melds the worlds of new simplified fabrication for guns with the old Sig styling.

Hammer guns were falling out of favor in the era this rolled out - Competing with Glock, etc.  In my opinion Sig got behind the market momentum of striker fired versions rather than hammer guns.  They keep some legacy hammer guns, but focus is all on the new striker guns, modularity (Spend as much on a AXG module as I could on a Glock)

HK also got behind the striker market  but for some reason clings to supplying a variety of hammer fired pistols.  Probably the cost of them is low enough to sustain their base of markets that use them

The Sig SP2022 has a following, but not as large of a fan base for the USP) those who use it generally like it The USP had more notoriety -  The French liked their SP2022's but are switching to Glock after 20 years of service -  Glock is a tough act to follow.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#14]
"Is the SIG SAUER SP2022 the Poor Man's HK USP"

In a word:

N O
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

In a word:

N O
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 3:04:53 PM EDT
[#16]
The Sig and the USP have nothing in common. The Sp2022/2009 is a decent gun but cannot be compared to a USP. I have had a couple Sig Sp2009/2022  pistols and they were an ok gun and nothing wrong with them other than my preference of a ho-hum decocker which my thumb would always slide off of. The standard P226 decocker is something I wish they would have placed on it, as it is much more ergonomically correct for me. The USP is available in many variants and if you shot one, you would feel the difference between the two. I am no HK fanboy but it is a much better pistol in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#17]
The SP2022 is better than the USP.

I had been very excited to shoot my first HK, and my brother ended up being issued one. What a let down. Grip only marginally better than Glock. Trigger as meh as a DA/SA Glock would be. Smallish mag release (not my style). Completely unimpressed and made me realize the P229 I had was the real “luxury” pistol.

I poo-pooed the SIGPRO when it came out. Wannabe Glock without even being striker fired. Fast forward years and they were selling for $350 and I wanted a 9mm to 3-gun with (P229 was .40 and capacity didn’t work for most stages). Boy did I have to eat crow. Real nice pistol. The trigger is better than HK/Glock, but not quite as smooth as the classics. You can feel the mainspring compress and there’s a slight creaky feeling with it. But it’s better than most.

I have big hands and it was a little challenge to find L grip panels, and for some reason they’re slightly different than the med and small.

Fresh out the box:

After getting the large grips:

My first 15 rounds with it:

I ended up going with a P320 for EDC, which turned into the P365. But the SP2022 is still what’s in my nightstand safe.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:46:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Right out of the box, my SP2022 had to be returned to Sig, it would not fully cock the hammer when shooting, had to be tuned.
After return, it functioned fine, other than chewing up the cheap, plastic guide rod. I replaced that with a metal rod.
It now lives on top of my fridge. It's perfectly fine for that duty.

It however is not even in the realm of comparing to the USP series.
I trust my USPs to function to the ends of the earth and beyond. The Sig, not so much.

Oh, bonus points for pinching the ever loving shit out of you palm if you happen to slam a mag into the magwell during a fast reload. Be careful, it will take out chunks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I liked mine and regret selling it. As said, it just didn't have the after market support. But that doesn't take away from it being an excellent pistol.  It was hard to compete when everything was going to striker fire. I'm probably in the minority but if given the choice I would take one over a 320.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#20]
The first polymer framed pistol I bought was a SP2340 in .357 back in 2001.  I've never regretted buying it, it's been a great pistol.

As for how it compares to the HK, I don't have an answer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 9:25:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Not even close.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ameshawki] [#22]
Have one and like it a lot.  I find the ergonomics are better that the P series.  Mine has been accurate, reliable, no complaints at all.  The pistol had reasonable success outside the US but never really took off here.

Had a USP and was underwhelmed.  Just too big and chunky for a nine.  The P30 is a major improvement.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:36:55 PM EDT
[#23]
I think the 2022 is one of the most under appreciated firearms around, and a generally solid value.

But it has absolutely nothing on the USP.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:53:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Seven-Shooter:
But it has absolutely nothing on the USP.
View Quote

I always hear people praise the USP endlessly but then any time I look into it everyone always says the trigger is terrible, it's heavy, chonky, parts are rare and expensive and they would never carry it and regret buying it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:17:13 AM EDT
[#25]
The SP2022 is one of the best and most underrated pistols ever created.  Trigger is unbelievably nice and crisp for a duty gun, slide and controls are easy to manipulate, soft shooting and easy to control under recoil, it's a good looking gun, etc.  It has one fatal flaw, however, and that is the overly short grip length.  Unless you have tiny girl hands, you can expect your pinky to get pinched on reloads or you'll have to lift your pinky when reloading.  It was such a problem for me that I had no choice but to sell mine.  If it just had the same grip length as the P229 and 15rd mags, it would be money...

If you have small enough hands to comfortably fit them all on the grip, buy one.  You won't regret it.  Otherwise, don't waste your time.

I own several USPs.  All in the Lord's caliber.  Love the grip size of the .45 compared to the 9mm.  Not much to say about the USP.  It's legendary for good reason.  Only downside is price and having to mill the slide if you're a RMR bro.  But don't fuck up a USP for that... just buy a different gun IMO.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:19:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPshooter1] [#26]
Originally Posted By Gelandewagen:

I always hear people praise the USP endlessly but then any time I look into it everyone always says the trigger is terrible, it's heavy, chonky, parts are rare and expensive and they would never carry it and regret buying it.
View Quote
Nah.  Throw in a factory match hammer and the nickel-plated sear spring from the match trigger kit, and keep all the other parts stock V1 config.  One of the nicest and quickest single-action triggers you'll operate.  Ring some steel with one set up like this and thank me later.

ETA: Using the full match kit will result in a lighter weight, but mushier and crappy feeling trigger pull.  The over-travel stop on the match trigger shoe is also pointless and a liability.  Just use the stock V1 trigger shoe and all V1 parts except the two match parts mentioned above.  Butta.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:47:02 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By dusty3030:
Sig just didn't support it.  As the world went striker fired it just slipped by the wayside.  Out of the box trigger is awesome smooth, most agree better than any classic Sig (226, 220 etc)  Interchangeable back straps for fit.  Hell of a pistol.  

View Quote
this. I still have a P2340 in .357sig. has a factory rail that AFAIK never had a light for it. I still need to get the .40 conversion barrel for mine while they still exist.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't get the love for the USP. I had a full size and compact, got rid of both of them.
I'm sure they are durable, reliable handguns, but nothing else about them are enjoyable. Bad grip, meh trigger.
The P30 is a much better gun, I kept that one and a HK 45 compact.

I do really like the 2022. Paid $400 for it, great trigger, very accurate, and came with night sights.

The one downside is support, but there is enough to get what you need to carry.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 1:27:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Bellows1:
I don't get the love for the USP. I had a full size and compact, got rid of both of them.
I'm sure they are durable, reliable handguns, but nothing else about them are enjoyable. Bad grip, meh trigger.
The P30 is a much better gun, I kept that one and a HK 45 compact.

I do really like the 2022. Paid $400 for it, great trigger, very accurate, and came with night sights.

The one downside is support, but there is enough to get what you need to carry.
View Quote

Same here USP are chunky, over priced, and overrated. I has 2 myself.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By BoomBoom:

Same here USP are chunky, over priced, and overrated. I has 2 myself.
View Quote

Don't forget about the useless rail system
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 9:03:32 PM EDT
[#31]
I always wanted one of those gray SP2022s
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:50:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I really like my SP2022s but they will never be in the same league as my HKs.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:06:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AK-12] [#33]
Not really, it's more of a poly framed P229. It's a great pistol though, underappreciated and a great value at what they sell for-much like the CZ P-07, P-09, and P-10.

A much better gun than the shitbox P250 and the striker fired version of it-the P320.

The USP is more of a reasonably sized Mk23.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:03:14 PM EDT
[#34]
I have no complaints about mine, although I recognize it is not in the same category as a USP, but it is not meant to be either. Also, the price was right, getting it on GB (as the only bidder) for $315 - like new, night sights, 3 mags, holster, SS guide rod, original box - I couldn't say no.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#35]
One thing that kind of hurt the pistol was it did not share the magazine from the P226/8/9.  I think more P22x owners would have picked one up had it used the same magazine.  I know I would like to have a polymer framed P226 but I really do not want them to have different magazines.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 12:59:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MK318] [#36]
Originally Posted By EdgecrusherXES:
One thing that kind of hurt the pistol was it did not share the magazine from the P226/8/9.  I think more P22x owners would have picked one up had it used the same magazine.  I know I would like to have a polymer framed P226 but I really do not want them to have different magazines.
View Quote

The Sig Pro 2022 was an upgrade to the French 2009 contract. So the SP2022 really wasn’t designed with the consumer market in mind. The magazine choice was about remaining compatible with the SP2009. The SP2022 is really just an SP2009 with a rail. At least initially before the additional changes to the extractor and magazine release. The consumer market for the SP2022 was kind of an after thought. It overshadowed Cohens P250 project. It kind of killed it in a lot of ways. Nobody was going to buy a $600 American made polymer, DA/SA Sig when Sig Switzerland was selling a polymer, Switzerland made DA/SA Sig for $450.

Now that DA/SA guns have kind of came back in vogue, I kind of wish Sig would re-release the P250 since there is some cross over with the P320 now. I think the P250 would do pretty well now since the popularity of the P320, parts compatibility and mags are the same. Even holsters would be the same. There is a logistics foot print that would help carry the P250 now days that didn’t exist in 2007. You can actually convert the P250 FCU to a P320 by drilling some holes. Sig could probably make the P320 and P250 FCUs interchangeable by adding a single hole that is needed for the P320 FCU to be converted to a P250 FCU.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:46:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#37]
Originally Posted By GaryT1776:

In a word:

N O
View Quote

This.

The SP is bulbous as shit. People calling the USP chunky have obviously never held both pistols. It’s bigger in every way except barrel/slide length. The profile of the grip mixed with the fatness was just awkward for me. Like a P226 without ergonomic shaping.

This is made worse by the magazine extension which doesn’t increase capacity but is required for a full size grip because they obviously decided not to use P229 magazines at the last second.

The example I had was one of the least accurate pistols I’ve ever owned, likely from the rattle trap slide to frame rail fit. The bore axis is also higher than the USP by quite a bit too. I disliked how mine felt and shot enough I think I only owned it for 6 months or so.

The USP is laser accurate, crazy durable, and most importantly, functions as a SAO pistol if you want it to.

The 2022 trigger is marginally better, but the USP Match trigger is cheap now and surpasses the Sig. It does need the Grey Guns short reset kit to hang with the Sig SRT trigger, but you can’t put that in the 2022 anyway.

The 2022 is a good cheap pistol, but if you think it punches that far above its weight, it doesn’t.

Buy a PD trade in P226 or save up for a new P226 or USP. Both are great platforms and vastly superior to the 2022.

ETA: Aim Surplus has PD trade P226’s in 40 for under $500. One would be way ahead to buy one of these, then grab a 9mm optic ready slide and a threaded 9mm barrel down the road as budget allows. You could have a wicked awesome $1000 P226 without ever spending more than $450 in one sitting, and for about $500 in savings.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 1:51:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -OdieGreen-] [#38]
Originally Posted By MK318:

The Sig Pro 2022 was an upgrade to the French 2009 contract. So the SP2022 really wasn’t designed with the consumer market in mind. The magazine choice was about remaining compatible with the SP2009. The SP2022 is really just an SP2009 with a rail. At least initially before the additional changes to the extractor and magazine release. The consumer market for the SP2022 was kind of an after thought. It overshadowed Cohens P250 project. It kind of killed it in a lot of ways. Nobody was going to buy a $600 American made polymer, DA/SA Sig when Sig Switzerland was selling a polymer, Switzerland made DA/SA Sig for $450.

Now that DA/SA guns have kind of came back in vogue, I kind of wish Sig would re-release the P250 since there is some cross over with the P320 now. I think the P250 would do pretty well now since the popularity of the P320, parts compatibility and mags are the same. Even holsters would be the same. There is a logistics foot print that would help carry the P250 now days that didn’t exist in 2007. You can actually convert the P250 FCU to a P320 by drilling some holes. Sig could probably make the P320 and P250 FCUs interchangeable by adding a single hole that is needed for the P320 FCU to be converted to a P250 FCU.
View Quote

Absolutely agree on the P250. They’re missing out on a gold mine if they did some refining to bridge the two. I’d buy a long slide aluminum frame SAO updated P250 in a heart beat.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 3:07:39 PM EDT
[#39]
(Teutonic Sneer Activated) No, zee SP2022 is not zee poor man's USP!

The Sig Pro was always a decent handgun, dare I say exceptional at the price point it was offered at in the beginning.  Now it sits in the $550-$600 bracket where it competes with a lot of more modern and flexible designs.  It'll always suffer from "Not Invented Here" and all the models being culled except the black 9mm while there's 87 thousand versions of the 320 and 365 really highlights that.  Mags being Sig'ed at $45 a pop sucks too.  They'd be happy for it to die.

I have a single USP and no Sig Pros (and a huge amount of Berettas and CZs) - I guess I made my choice(s).  It was never compelling enough over other designs I just flat liked better.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:55:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Ended up with a USP NIB for $850 OTD.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top