Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2024 2:39:29 PM EDT
I know almost nothing about Colts and this one was my dad's.  He was notorious for buying parts and having a guy build up 1911s for him.   Is this one correct?   Not a mesh of a slide and a different period frame?  Is it actually a compete Colt pistol?   I don't want to lie to someone cause I don't know.  

2nd part to that, what should I expect to get for it?  Just a nice buy for some KY resident.  

Thanks!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:47:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mlin] [#1]
Sights, trigger, thumb safety, slide stop recoil guide rod, grips, and grip screws were not factory Colt. I suspect the barrel bushing was also aftermarket as it appears to have thick profile.

Barrel was also have jeweled treatment for the look.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 2:58:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks mlin.  That was what I was expecting.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 3:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: contango66] [#3]
Looks like the grip safety and hammer were changed. Probably had GI grip safety and spur hammer.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 4:24:31 PM EDT
[#4]
What does the label on the box look like? Not saying its factory/non-factory but Colt was known ro have made some smallish runs of some embellished 1911's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 5:17:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dunderway] [#5]
Looks like Wilson sights, Wilson thumb safety, CMC trigger, and a Kings slide stop.  All quality parts.

Hammer and grip safety look like factory Colt XSE style from that era.

Edit:  I believe this is what Colt named an "Enhanced" model.

Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By contango66:
Looks like the grip safety and hammer were changed. Probably had GI grip safety and spur hammer.
View Quote

I think that's the original grip safety.  Colt's shitty attempt at a beavertail in the 90s.  My first 1911 was a stainless Series 80 Combat Commander.  I agree with mlin with regard to everything we can see.  I think the checkered mag release is aftermarket, as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 6:41:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: contango66] [#7]
Originally Posted By Dangus:

I think that's the original grip safety.  Colt's shitty attempt at a beavertail in the 90s.  My first 1911 was a stainless Series 80 Combat Commander.  I agree with mlin with regard to everything we can see.  I think the checkered mag release is aftermarket, as well.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Yep, I was wrong! Sorry for the misinformation. I do find it hard to believe Colt would sell such a poor fit grip safety.

What I was thinking

" />
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By LittleAugieMo:
What does the label on the box look like? Not saying its factory/non-factory but Colt was known ro have made some smallish runs of some embellished 1911's.
View Quote

No label I. The box.  It is generic box
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:51:05 AM EDT
[#9]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

That duckbill grip safety sucked ass in every way. I hated it on my Uncles Series 80 enhanced model he had.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 10:43:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#10]
Parts gun.  Frame comes back as a 1998 Officer's ACP.

Serial Number Lookup
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By dump1567:
Parts gun.  Frame comes back as a 1998 Officer's ACP.

Serial Number Lookup
View Quote

Nice catch.  I don't think any of us keyed in on that being an Officer's sized frame.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top