Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2024 11:16:43 PM EDT
I remember reading in gun rags right around the time LAPD SWAT first picked Kimbers that they were previously running 1911s that were seized from criminals and then tuned for duty use (and then fitted with surefire 310 lights). I know those dude still have a love for 1911 platform guns since they're currently running staccatos.
Looking to see if anyone has any decent pics of these pistols from the 90s (and maybe even 80s) since the only things I can dig up is from movies that feature LAPD SWAT like Heat and Speed

Colt Series 70 pistols in Speed

Custom build with magwell in Heat
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to add other than that Tacoma PD used to issue Kimbers.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:48:25 AM EDT
[#2]
the movie SWAT came out and the 1911s in there absolutely gave me part of the desire to own collect and shoot them that I have to this day. That said, once I learned about Kimber I got sad, but here's some light reading on the movie guns:

https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/S.W.A.T._%282003%29
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:07:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I could have swore I saw some in the North Hollywood shootout film but can't find them.

I do agree the mid 90s 1911s, especially in the movie Speed, really has some of the best looking 1911s of any film. I did get a Kimber TLE model back in 2010s myself due to the SWAT thing. I really disliked it because of the whole tool thing but it was functional. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like it's either officer bought or as you say weapons converted over from criminals. So I guess there's no uniformity which is the main reason for the big purchase from Kimber.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I've been interested in this before also.

Tough to research online because of all the Kimber results, but you can't really exclude Kimber from your search because any article about the older ones is likely to mention the Kimbers.

Does Patrick Sweeney's book maybe have something on them?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
D Platoon had huge cross pollination with CAG back in the day.  A lot of the founders were veterans and were pioneers in CQB/HR.  They followed what was done in those units and had 1911s built, more or less, in house.  They were not totally uniform as the armorers would source guns from the evidence locker and similar.  This wasn't universally true...

The guns got mixed reviews.  They were never super reliable...and they had to go to the armorer constantly.  They only worked because they had their own support elements in-house.  

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 2:36:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dump1567] [#6]
I've watch a few "Uncle Scotty" videos and don't recall him ever talking about 1911's.  I did find this article from 2014.  And this pic is from the article (although it doesn't show-up in the link).  This probably belongs to Scott Reitz, but I have no idea if it was what he used.  The two tone was popular in the 70/80's & Jeff Cooper had at least one from that era.

An Afternoon With Uncle Scotty, the Baddest Man You’ll Ever Meet

The grips look like modern NHC (G10 Alien?).  Novak's came out in 1985.  Everything else looks period correct for the 80's.  I can't make it out, but it does look like that may be a Colt or USGI frame?

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:14:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I would have liked to be of pistol owning age back in the 90s and early 2000s when 1911s were still in use by respected tactical units.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:29:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steve88GT] [#8]
Attachment Attached File

The libtards got butt hurt because they thought the SIS cocking serrations looked too much like SS.  Seriously?!?!? They spend their whole lives looking for reasons to get upset.

Edit, Sorry.  I just now saw “pre-Kimber”.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:07:46 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atom556] [#9]
LAPD SWAT was originally issued 1911’s mostly Colt’s and some were confiscated weapons.  When the team first started they were only allowed to use the 1911’s on Swat incidents and had to use their issued S&W revolvers during crime suppression and all other details.  At some point, probably in the 1980’s, Swat officers were allowed to use the 1911’s for all assignments on duty.  They were issued well used 1911’s during Swat school and most purchased new Colt’s when they graduated and then had them customized by the Metro armorers or other custom smiths such as Kings’s Gunworks.  

The reason that the uniforms and weapons in Speed and Terminator 2 are accurate is because a former LAPD Swat officer was an advisor on the films and many LAPD SWAT officers were used as extras.

LAPD Swat is currently issued Sig Tac Ops 1911’s in .45 acp.  The Kimber LAPD Swat Custom II pistols are still in inventory and a few are still issued.

Most of the team carries privately purchased Staccato P’s with RMR’s or Acro’s.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:46:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Joescuba] [#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FedDC:
D Platoon had huge cross pollination with CAG back in the day.  A lot of the founders were veterans and were pioneers in CQB/HR.  They followed what was done in those units and had 1911s built, more or less, in house.  They were not totally uniform as the armorers would source guns from the evidence locker and similar.  This wasn't universally true...

The guns got mixed reviews.  They were never super reliable...and they had to go to the armorer constantly.  They only worked because they had their own support elements in-house.  

View Quote

JSOC has always had a good relationship with both LAPD SWAT and SIS.  I was TDY for the LA Olympics 1983-1984. All of the 1911's I saw were Kings Gun Works custom Colt 1911s.  At the time, Kings Gun Works would tune any SWAT or SIS officers 1911 at no cost, as long as it was a Colt.  They offered Colt 1911's at cost, and most times had a few "SWAT/SIS package" 1911s in stock.  I made some good friends with a couple of the SWAT and SIS officers.  Got to train with Scotty Reitz.  I was lucky enough to purchase one of the SIS Colts from a retired officer who was a friend.  

Regards

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top