Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/13/2021 2:37:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers]
12/13/21: My LCP Max is two months old and the mag falls out occasionally. This is the fourth time.

I am always good at checking mag retention. Since the first time i always check that is is firmly locked in.

No idea what is causing it. There is never pressure on the mag release in the holster.

edit: happens while carrying. 10 rnd mag, carrying 10+1.

UPDATE 01/10/22: The new mag from Ruger seems to have fixed the "mag falling out" issue. The sent a mag on 12/15, received it a day or two later. So, going on week 4 without a mag issue.

If it changes, i'll report back.

update 2/12/22: mag is still falling out even after new mag.

now to send back to Ruger.

Once i get it back, i will sell it.

Update 2/24/22: I received the gun back from Ruger CS. 8 days from door to door, pretty damn quick.

They replaced the frame, slide stop and mag. We'll see if it is fixed over a few weeks.

I am a glutton for punishment.

I really like the feel and concept of the LCP Max. I figured after a year of new production, no way i will have the same issue of the mag falling out. Well, fuck me. I bought this LCP Max earlier this year. I noticed the mag loose a month or two back, but now i notice it every time i get home and put it up.

12 round mag loaded to 11 with 1 in the chamber. IWB holstered with the mag release covered.

EDIT: 11/4/23

I really like the feel and concept of the LCP Max. I figured after a year of new production, no way i will have the same issue of the mag falling out. So, i bought another one.  Well, fuck me. I bought this LCP Max earlier this year. I noticed the mag loose a month or two back, but now i notice it every time i get home and put it up.

12 round mag loaded to 11 with 1 in the chamber. IWB holstered with the mag release covered.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:20:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:27:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By vengarr:
Magazines just falling out and an AD you say?
View Quote
I check the mag every time i put on my belt. Sometimes while carrying it, the mag becomes disengaged with the mag release.
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 4:59:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2021 9:27:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#5]
not an extended mag button

i would check the mag, but the last time it fell i didnt find it. .  The leaf guy found it.

POS
Link Posted: 12/14/2021 12:49:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Bucket-Back:
Do you have an extended release ?

Try another mag, the slot in the magazine where the release button goes may be out of spec. The feed lips also may be out of spec

If a second magazine does the same thing, I'd look at the magazine catch and feed lips for burrs.

I pocket carry a Gen 1 LCP, in a Nemesis pocket holster and I've never lost a mag.
View Quote
No burrs on feed libs or mag catch holes. The mag release is clean. When there is 1 in the chamber, a full 10 round mag is stiff to get in and it pops out quick with any pressure on the mag release.

The 10 hole on the side of the mag is covered with a cartridge when i have 9 in the mag. Are these mags for 9+1? Why would the 10 hole be covered with only 9.

I am going with 9+1 for a while. See how it goes.
Link Posted: 12/16/2021 11:43:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell us about the AD
Link Posted: 12/19/2021 10:12:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By StevenH:
Tell us about the AD
View Quote

Yeah that more interesting.

I support side pocket carry a 26 at work and found the mag would become disengaged on occasion. These are in big loose cargo pants too. I took the mag release out after marking where it sits with a silver sharpie and used my knife to shave the release down. Then hit it with 1500 grip sand paper until it was smooth. Now the mag stays in place. I’d bet the button is being activated somehow.

I had an LCPII do the same thing. I removed that button and ground it down and reblacked it. Works perfect.

What holster are you using?
Link Posted: 1/9/2022 10:55:24 PM EDT
[#9]
What holster?  Pocket carry or IWB?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#10]
The new mag from Ruger seems to have fixed the "mag falling out" issue. The sent a mag on 12/15, received it a day or two later. So, going on week 4 without a mag issue.

If it changes, i'll report back.
Link Posted: 2/12/2022 3:14:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#11]
2/12/22 mag is still falling out even after new mag.

now to send back to Ruger.

Link Posted: 2/24/2022 12:03:22 PM EDT
[#12]
2/24/22 received the gun back from Ruger CS. 8 days from door to door, pretty damn quick.

They replaced the frame, slide stop and mag. We'll see if it is fixed over a few weeks.

The first contact last month Ruger CS quickly sent a mag to try. After second contact I have the gun back in 8 days. If they fixed, i can only say, good job.

Better if the gun never had an issue, but all factories have quality hits. We will see.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#13]
@gotigers

How is it doing now?  I was just about to purchase a Max when I saw your posts.
Link Posted: 3/18/2022 2:27:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#14]
Originally Posted By Jack19:
@gotigers

How is it doing now?  I was just about to purchase a Max when I saw your posts.
View Quote

@Jack19

After a new mag, the mag still dropped. Then they sent me a RMA and repaired it. The mag still dropped out all the time.

They RMA'd this week for a full refund. They received it today. I am done with it.
Link Posted: 11/4/2023 12:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#15]

I really like the feel and concept of the LCP Max. I figured after a year of new production, no way i will have the same issue of the mag falling out. So, i bought another one.  Well, fuck me. I bought this LCP Max earlier this year. I noticed the mag loose a month or two back, but now i notice it every time i get home and put it up.

Link Posted: 11/13/2023 2:16:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Replace the mag release spring with an OEM Glock spring.  You have to cut it to length.  The Glock spring is stiffer and should resolve the problem.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#17]
I've been pocket carrying mine for almost a year. I have it being pressed on and knocked about by all sorts stuff through the pocket. I used the cheap fabric pocket holster it came with for most of that time. I never had the mag come loose.

I'm guessing the issue is the common denominator, which would be you or your holster if it's been the same one for all the guns.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gotigers] [#18]
Originally Posted By CFletch:
I've been pocket carrying mine for almost a year. I have it being pressed on and knocked about by all sorts stuff through the pocket. I used the cheap fabric pocket holster it came with for most of that time. I never had the mag come loose.

I'm guessing the issue is the common denominator, which would be you or your holster if it's been the same one for all the guns.
View Quote

The issue is more common than you think. Lots or threads on other forums, reddit and youtube vids. Much more often the first year guns. My second, it only happened twice in a year and the mag didnt fall completely out. I wasnt too worried about it.

I took @JN01 advice and a 20% heavier mag release spring fixed it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top