Site Notices
Lipsey’s J frame (Page 1 of 2)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2024 1:57:24 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:40:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Dammit.

I don’t need another hammerless J frame but that looks perfect.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 3:11:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I already want the Black .32
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#3]
A J frame with a rear sight, what's not to love?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:04:28 PM EDT
[#4]
The black 32 definitely has my interest. It would mean adding another caliber to inventory plus reloading dies etc but that would be a nice option for sure

I suspect in typical step in there you know what fashion they will only offer it in stainless.

I don’t care for stainless at all, and miss the classic old school bluing, but at least the black is better
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#5]
How big a deal would it be to ream the 632 cylinder to .327 Federal Magnum?
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:12:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope it is one of the J models they omit the lock on.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4Michael:
I hope it is one of the J models they omit the lock on.
View Quote

in the pictures it sure looks like it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 3:22:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Bringing back the 32 is something in itself, adding some design changes and features contributed by outside revolver people are a plus also for both calibers.
Not big on the centennial line but these have sparked my interest
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:03:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chainshaw] [#9]
For the love of all that is holy, why in the hell would they not make it in .327 Federal Magnum? Absolutely stupid.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:06:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheOldRepublic] [#10]
Link?

eta Nevermind

https://lipseysguns.com/smith-wesson-ultimate-carry-j-frame/

Lipsey's Exclusive: Smith & Wesson Ultimate Carry J-Frame

Link Posted: 1/22/2024 9:27:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I just want to buy those grips.
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:33:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By MRW:
327 is stupid for what these guns are, that's why
There's a reason a 642 is not 357
View Quote

The 340 is even lighter weight with .357

The old 632 .327s regularly go for over $2000 when they pop up online. There is huge demand for them. The Ruger LCR in .327 is a beast and pretty reasonable to shoot. It's biggest flaw is that it is not nearly as pocketable as the J-Frame. The .327 is perfect in the J-Frame.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:46:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By chainshaw:

The old 632 .327s regularly go for over $2000 when they pop up online. There is huge demand for them. The Ruger LCR in .327 is a beast and pretty reasonable to shoot. It's biggest flaw is that it is not nearly as pocketable as the J-Frame. The .327 is perfect in the J-Frame.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’d add that I knew the 640 has a steel frame, and incorrectly assumed that the 642 does as well.  Nope - just silver colored finish.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Yep.  327 or 357 mags in a lightweight J frame are brutal to the shooter and not practical at all.

My favorite J frame is the M&P 340 but my two have never and likely never will have any 357 shot through them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By GraboidHunter:
I just want to buy those grips.
View Quote

They look like VZ grips.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 11:15:11 AM EDT
[#17]
Good grief.  I don't need  another J-frame but here we are.  

What will be the street price?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:43:06 AM EDT
[#18]
In for price.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:49:26 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ChevChelios:
In for price.
View Quote

$759
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 11:34:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By M4Michael:

They look like VZ grips.
View Quote

They are confirmed as VZ. Look to be essentially the wraparound with a high horn similar to the centennial grips. I know one of the guys involved and am trying to find out if these grips will be a production VZ item as I want a pair for my new 340.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 8:02:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By bigfugly:

They are confirmed as VZ. Look to be essentially the wraparound with a high horn similar to the centennial grips. I know one of the guys involved and am trying to find out if these grips will be a production VZ item as I want a pair for my new 340.
View Quote

Fingers crossed they will be. I’d love a pair as well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 3:27:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Just did some brief research on 32 H&R magnum. What are your guy's thoughts on it?

6th rd is nice as well as less recoil. How effective is that round?

Looks like the cheapest ammo is $0.90+.per round
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 9:19:03 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By TheOldRepublic:
Just did some brief research on 32 H&R magnum. What are your guy's thoughts on it?

6th rd is nice as well as less recoil. How effective is that round?

Looks like the cheapest ammo is $0.90+.per round
View Quote

Meets the FBI penetration guidelines, more reliable expansion than .38's, at least when shooting full wadcutters. Every major manufacturer of revolvers from Charter to S&W has either a .327 or 32 offering in their catalog right now. Taurus even introduced a 3in at SHOT. The two guys who helped S&W are legit been there done that dudes and run in some pretty big circles. Daryll Bolke and Bryan Eastridge are definitely two guys who's opinion I respect. I am fortunate enough to know Bryan. Check out their pages, or American Fighting Revolver. Those guys collections are pretty unreal.
Link Posted: 1/30/2024 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By TheQuadfather:

Yep.  327 or 357 mags in a lightweight J frame are brutal to the shooter and not practical at all.

My favorite J frame is the M&P 340 but my two have never and likely never will have any 357 shot through them.
View Quote

I don't mind full power .357 through my 640, but I wouldn't like them through a 340 either!
Link Posted: 2/23/2024 10:46:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Anyone heard of a release date for these? I need one of the .32's in my life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2024 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By pokey074:
Anyone heard of a release date for these? I need one of the .32's in my life.
View Quote

They're supposed to begin shipping in the first two weeks of March.

I have a local guy who is on good terms with his Lipseys rep and he put me in for two, one in .32 and one in .38.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 10:56:36 AM EDT
[#27]
My local guy is supposedly getting me one but I'll believe it when I see it.

There is at least one in the wild, a guy on the S&W forum posted about receiving his yesterday.

Anyone know how many units will be made? Will this be a regular item or limited run?
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 11:53:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Alleged 1000 of each model for initial release
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:03:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: John_Wayne777] [#29]
Originally Posted By jmt1271:
My local guy is supposedly getting me one but I'll believe it when I see it.

There is at least one in the wild, a guy on the S&W forum posted about receiving his yesterday.

Anyone know how many units will be made? Will this be a regular item or limited run?
View Quote

Lipseys has said they will keep ordering them as long as they sell.

The initial production run scheduled with S&W was 4,000.

They are taking delivery of guns on this order through March and April. Apparently they already have more orders in for more.

S&W, like every other manufacturing concern, does not make every product every day. They tool up for runs of product lines. This project came to be since they had space in their J frame production schedule. I'd expect, though, a steady supply of them to be out there throughout 2024. Lipseys is trying to ensure that all their customers...their customers being dealers...get access to guns.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:07:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By John_Wayne777:

Lipseys has said they will keep ordering them as long as they sell.

The initial production run scheduled with S&W was 4,000.

They are taking delivery of guns on this order through March and April. Apparently they already have more orders in for more.

S&W, like every other manufacturing concern, does not make every product every day. They tool up for runs of product lines. This project came to be since they had space in their J frame production schedule. I'd expect, though, a steady supply of them to be out there throughout 2024. Lipseys is trying to ensure that all their customers...their customers being dealers...get access to guns.
View Quote

Good info thanks a lot.

I'm the only one at my dealer requesting one, but every time I check he says he's waiting for it to be allocated to him. Basically it's in his wish list at lipseys and they will fulfill it when they can. Not sure how the process actually works but hoping I get one.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:12:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I don’t need another gun but this is a must buy. Lipseys specials are once and done.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:20:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By superdoc:
I don’t need another gun but this is a must buy. Lipseys specials are once and done.
View Quote

They have repeatedly said these won't be. They intend for them to be a standard item as long as they will sell.
Link Posted: 3/2/2024 1:36:26 PM EDT
[#33]
For the love of all that is holy, why in the hell would they not make it in .327 Federal Magnum? Absolutely stupid.
View Quote

Because the frames are aluminium.
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:29:56 PM EDT
[#34]
I've been to 4 Lipsey's dealers in my area looking to order the Stainless .38 model (SM13995) and all of them have said it is not showing available yet when they look the model up.  One dealer said one of the blued models was available, but I want stainless.  Anyone have any luck ordering one yet?
Link Posted: 3/8/2024 5:52:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chase45] [#35]
Originally Posted By floridacop:
I've been to 4 Lipsey's dealers in my area looking to order the Stainless .38 model (SM13995) and all of them have said it is not showing available yet when they look the model up.  One dealer said one of the blued models was available, but I want stainless.  Anyone have any luck ordering one yet?
View Quote

Midway has a 643(38) available currently. Wonder if the 64(3) is a mistype

Looks like only one

Regardless heres the link. I wouldnt waste time

@floridacop

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026841941?pid=819148
Link Posted: 3/9/2024 12:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: floridacop] [#36]
Originally Posted By chase45:

Midway has a 643(38) available currently. Wonder if the 64(3) is a mistype

Looks like only one

Regardless heres the link. I wouldnt waste time

@floridacop

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026841941?pid=819148
View Quote

@chase45
You sir, are awesome!  

In addition to the description matching, the model number and UPC are for the stainless 38.  

Attachment Attached File

Midway's website now shows it out of stock no back orders.  Estimated to be back in stock on 03/28.

My email confirmation link shows an estimated delivery date to my dealer of 03/13.  

I can't help but wonder how many Midway got to sell and how long they were on the website.  I watched a podcast with the guys from American Fighting Revolver last week and I haven't been this excited in a while about getting a gun.  

Link Posted: 3/10/2024 11:05:45 PM EDT
[#37]
Anyone have a link for another one of these in stock?

Looking for the SM13995 38 Special stainless
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 8:12:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
Anyone have a link for another one of these in stock?

Looking for the SM13995 38 Special stainless
View Quote

At best you'll find one on Gunbroker.

The initial run isn't very large and they're not shipping huge numbers to any specific dealer. And a lot they are shipping already have customers who put in orders for them when they were announced. So if you want one now and see one on gunbroker, do the needful that way.
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:13:57 AM EDT
[#39]

@chase45
You sir, are awesome!  

In addition to the description matching, the model number and UPC are for the stainless 38.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161929/midway2_png-3153964.JPG

https://media.tenor.com/images/cb0ae0d40718d6fd6e0711cfce838e0b/tenor.gif

Midway's website now shows it out of stock no back orders.  Estimated to be back in stock on 03/28.

My email confirmation link shows an estimated delivery date to my dealer of 03/13.  

I can't help but wonder how many Midway got to sell and how long they were on the website.  I watched a podcast with the guys from American Fighting Revolver last week and I haven't been this excited in a while about getting a gun.  

View Quote

Congrats!

Post pics when you get it
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 9:29:48 PM EDT
[#40]

Congrats!

Post pics when you get it
View Quote

Will do.  

Looking for a decent leather OWB holster now...
Link Posted: 3/11/2024 10:54:41 PM EDT
[#41]
View Quote

I have been to the three ranges in my area and not only have they not been able to find them, the sales staff pretty much blows me off.

I am on every online waitlist i can find, I am also willing to make the drive to range usa if i have to.

Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By mimibeardsley:

I have been to the three ranges in my area and not only have they not been able to find them, the sales staff pretty much blows me off.

I am on every online waitlist i can find, I am also willing to make the drive to range usa if i have to.

View Quote

One of the places I went to it went like this:

Told one of the guys behind the counter what I was looking for and he was not familiar but started looking at the website for the gun.  I start to describe it and another young guy sitting behind the counter, young white male with a trucker hat and goatee surfing on his phone while vaping, says "it's a 642." without looking away from his phone.  I say its got a few more features than that and he says "yeah, an XS front sight."  I say "and a few other things were done to it" and he says "it comes with VZ grips, but it's a still just a 642.".  What an insufferable ass.  

I really lucked out that Chase45 posted that link and I immediately went to the website and ordered it.  
Link Posted: 3/12/2024 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Nifty little revolver!
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 8:39:11 AM EDT
[#44]
Ordered a black .38 from one dealer a month ago and a stainless .32 from another dealer yesterday. Now we wait.

Good thing I don’t “need” these. No hurry.

Oh, and my dealers quoted me VERY favorable prices. Not the $900-$1200 BS on Gunbroker right now.
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 12:43:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Handled one at a dealer yesterday. Was nice. Trigger was ok.
$679
Link Posted: 3/17/2024 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By LonChaney:
Handled one at a dealer yesterday. Was nice. Trigger was ok.
$679
View Quote

Where was this dealer??
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 1:25:13 PM EDT
[#47]

@chase45
You sir, are awesome!  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/161929/midway2_png-3153964.JPG

https://media.tenor.com/images/cb0ae0d40718d6fd6e0711cfce838e0b/tenor.gif

View Quote

@floridacop

Any update? Curious what you think of the build quality
Link Posted: 3/18/2024 2:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: floridacop] [#48]

@floridacop

Any update? Curious what you think of the build quality
View Quote

@chase45

Pick it up tomorrow, handled it when it came in.  My initial impressions:

Feels great.  It is a alloy J frame, but the VZ grips are really nice.  I like a boot grip for concealment, but miss having a spot for my pinky.  The VZ grips also covering the back strap give the grips a little more length front to back and I dont really notice the pinky being under the grip as the grip is subtly more substantial.

The sights are the best I have seen on a revolver.  Really nice having what seems like a deep U notch on a revolver sight compared to the really shallow fixed sight machined into J and K frames and even the notch on adjustable revolver rear sights.  

Fit was good.  

Trigger seemed like it was not a custom or gunsmith tuned trigger, but a well put together factory trigger with good springs.  Not too heavy and felt smooth when pulled to the rear.  Will probably be even better after some use.  

For 759 (what I paid) its a really good deal imho.  Say 550 bucks for a no lock plus P rated 642, 80 bucks for VZ grips (not available as a catalog item yet),  100 bucks for the XS sights, 75 bucks to chamfer the cylinder holes and radius the front of the cylinder.  You also get the barrel profile and  shrouded ejector rod from other guns like the PD and Ti series.  Plus, I think Smith and Wesson is doing a good job on the assembly.  

I went with the .38 so iI can carry it off duty (no 32s allowed) but I may get a .32 as a retirement/getting old gun.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 11:26:49 AM EDT
[#49]
It's home...

Attachment Attached File

If anyone has any questions I can answer, let me know.
Link Posted: 3/19/2024 12:52:27 PM EDT
[#50]
A couple come to mind,
How's the trigger
Are the grip's too large for pocket carry compared to regular 642 grips
Overall thoughts compared to average J frame

Thanks!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Lipsey’s J frame (Page 1 of 2)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top