Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/30/2023 1:37:47 AM EDT
I'll be using this thread to keep notes after every shooting session, hopefully at least monthly.
It'd be cool to do a 5,000 round or so test.

This is my first red dot pistol and hopefully it can help me decide if I like dots on handguns or not.
The first thing I did was mount a Holosun HS507C X2, so all shooting will be done with this optic.
It came with one 18 and one 20 round magazine; the mag bodies are stamped Mec-Gar Italy, but they have Tisas branded base plates.
I also got a couple of Check-Mate P226 magazines from Gunmagwarehouse to test, these are actually stamped Tisas.

The Testing:
We won't count this towards the total, but I've shot 600+  Komando 115gr and ~100 rounds of random stuff through it with no problem.
The current ammo I'm using is Capital Cartridge Brass Plated Steel Cased 9mm 115gr. 150 rounds into this ammo and no reliability issues, but it doesn't seem as hot or as accurate as the Komando.

Once this case of Capital Cartridge is finished, we've got a few ammo options to choose from to test with the PX-9.
In no particular order, we've got cases of:
- 115gr Komando, this is brass plated steel case ammo with non magnetic brass jacketed projectiles.
- 115gr Magtech steel cased, I believe this uses copper jacketed bullets.
- 147gr Freedom Munitions American Steel, this is also brass plated steel case but using copper plated bullets.
- 124gr Maxxtech, this is brass case and brass jacketed ammo.
- 135gr TulAmmo brass cased hollow point, the projectiles are copper jacketed and non magnetic.
- 124gr Geco brass case copper jacket.

What ammo next? Any testing suggestions? Questions?
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 6:59:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought a PX9 mine is a PNP gun police gun came with beautiful night sights , 2 mags , I picked up a few extra ones , this gun has been flawless , and a very well made gun I like it . I looked at sum of your test ammo sum is good stuff and maybe sum is not ,we will see how the gun does , but these guns do work .
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 10:23:47 AM EDT
[#2]
The Gen3 guns are a modern marvel.  Insanely ergonomic grip.  Way overlooked and underrated.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By triaxle:
I bought a PX9 mine is a PNP gun police gun came with beautiful night sights , 2 mags , I picked up a few extra ones , this gun has been flawless , and a very well made gun I like it . I looked at sum of your test ammo sum is good stuff and maybe sum is not ,we will see how the gun does , but these guns do work .
View Quote

I used to shoot the Russian 9mm almost exclusively, so I've been looking for cheap alternatives to fill the void.
It can be fun shooting unknown ammo to see how it does, but so far Russian 9mm was way more consistent than stuff coming in from Turkey. In the 1,000 rounds of Komando I've been through, I threw 3 rounds away because of extreme bullet setback right out of the box.
I also have shot about 800 rounds of Sterling brand steel cased 9mm, it's nickel plated. This stuff is really under-powered and won't cycle anything buy my CZ75 Compact, it's also the dirtiest ammo I've ever used; tons of unburned powder and plating flakes in the action.

So far, the best ratio of quality to expense has been the new Magtech Steel Cased 9mm and the old reliable Blazer Aluminum 9mm.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 3:37:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By EncoreGolf:
The Gen3 guns are a modern marvel.  Insanely ergonomic grip.  Way overlooked and underrated.
View Quote

Keep us updated on how it does.

I was impressed with the ergonomics too, I definitely wasn't expecting much for the $199 it cost on SDS Imports Labor Day sale.
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:06:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Update:

Sunday I put 350 more rounds of Capital Cartridge 115gr steel case and 50 rounds of the 135gr TulAmmo hollow points.
The Check-Mate magazines are basically 17 round not 18.

There were 4 stovepipes and 2 failure to feed malfunctions, these were the first hiccups I've had. I haven't cleaned it yet and have shot more than 1,000 rounds. I shot almost a case of Komando 9mm with no jams and you can tell those are loaded hotter.

I went ahead and ordered the 13.2 pound recoil spring from SDS Imports, they advertise that it "increases reliability with lighter 115GR ammunition."

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#6]
My PX 9 is the PNP police gun and its been flawless !
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 7:31:32 AM EDT
[#7]
PNP? Is that a Philippines LE agency?
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 6:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't waste your money on the lightweight recoil spring.
The striker spring on this gun is super strong, so when the striker engages the sear, there is hardly any spring left to close the slide.
I only used it for 2 magazines and had 6 failures to go completely into battery causing off center light primer strikes.

Today I shot the rest of the case of Capital Cartridge steel case, bringing the total somewhere into 1,600+ rounds fired.
With the normal recoil spring, I only a failure to feed today. It shoved the bullet back into the cartridge.

I like it
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:10:13 AM EDT
[#9]
My PNP police issue contract gun has been flawless , also this one came with a set of fact night sights mine was like 269 , great great well made guns for the price .
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#10]
My PNP police issue contract gun has been flawless , also this one came with a set of fact night sights mine was like 269 , great great well made guns for the price .
Link Posted: 3/6/2024 10:35:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Since my last post, I've shot around 450 more rounds of the TulAmmo 135GR hollow point ammunition with no failures.
We'll call the total somewhere ~2,000 rounds.

The finish on the slide and barrel of this gun is excellent, there is very little wear for the amount of rounds that have been fired.
It looks better that my Gen 5 Glock 19 at 200 rounds.
Link Posted: 3/7/2024 6:38:03 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a good report , I still have the PNP gun with fact night sights and have had no problems with it at all with any ammo , I think its the gen 1 gun maybe a gen 2 very well made .
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 6:18:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 4l65e] [#13]
250 of the ZSR brass cased 115gr today with no issues to report.

I'm no marksman, but getting consistent hits at 50 yards isn't difficult.

~2,250 round count

Link Posted: 4/1/2024 8:59:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Snobs won't listen, but, this may be the best striker fired gun available today.
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/2/2024 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#16]
THe threaded barrel Night Stalker variety still intrigues me. If any of my LGS had one, I'd probably already own one. I've only seen the 1911 variety in person.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:50:17 PM EDT
[#17]
250 more of the 135gr TulAmmo brass ammo and no problems, this thing is filthy though.

~2,500 rounds fired
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 4:06:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SquatchAv8] [#18]
Originally Posted By 4l65e:
250 more of the 135gr TulAmmo brass ammo and no problems, this thing is filthy though.

~2,500 rounds fired
View Quote
@4I65e
What's the slide thickness?
Handgunhero doesn't have it as an option so I can't compare it to my Canik MC9
Link Posted: 4/7/2024 10:02:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
@4I65e
View Quote

Give me a day and I'll find my calipers to measure the slide for you. I believe I read somewhere that the barrel is 4.1 inches.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I bought the I think gen 2 marked PNP gun , man this thing is great mine came with fact night sights its been flawless .
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Give me a day and I'll find my calipers to measure the slide for you. I believe I read somewhere that the barrel is 4.1 inches.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SquatchAv8:
@4I65e

I finally found it online. They say 34mm or 1.33 inches.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top