Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2024 6:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yumago]
As some of you know, the Machinewerks lopro magwell is impossible to get, and they are going to stop making it  from what I have heard, so I have designed my own.

I finally have the concept done, and would like your input about changes.

I want this magwell to be what the people want. As soon as I get any input and do the changes, I will have someone 3D print some samples to test. Once they are tested out, I will make any final changes, and see about getting them machined.

Here are the pictures.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Any and all feedback is wanted.

**UPDATE**
We have been going back and forth changing dimensions, and we finally got a model that fits great. Right now we are going into the 3D printing some prototypes stage, and doing fine tuning.

https://imgur.com/79x3kMb

https://imgur.com/3Fm39nP

We were going to print 5-10 samples to hand out for testing.

Now the bad news, getting quotes it seems like the price per piece might be a bit more expensive than originally planned unless I buy a batch of 40+, so if we move forward with this I will be doing a poll asking about pricing and how many you would like to buy to gauge interests. The big price jump is anodizing, even with a batch of 50 magwells, with anodizing, the prices jump an extra $20 per piece.

Even more bad news, my son and I were involved in a car accident the other day. Thankfully we are both physically fine, just a little sore and shaken up. Until everything gets sorted with insurance, and either repairing/totaling the car then buying a new one I will be putting this project on hold to keep the initial funds in my bank account.

https://imgur.com/5KGzKjI

https://imgur.com/8kyiho3
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:30:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice. Looking forward to further updates
Link Posted: 3/24/2024 8:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SnapCity:
Nice. Looking forward to further updates
View Quote

Thank you, I will be posting updates in here and on the 2011 subreddit.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Will it fit a prodigy? If it does I'd be down for one.
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 10:49:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MandPdude:
Will it fit a prodigy? If it does I'd be down for one.
View Quote

Right now it is getting designed for the Staccato C2, P, XC tac grip. I'm sure with some fitting it could fit a prodigy.

I can do some test fitting with a prodigy once I get a few 3D samples.

I'm just waiting on quotes to see how much it would cost to manufacture before I go further. I don't want to have to charge $100 for a Magwell. So I am trying to keep it in the 70ish range.

If I get a good quote back I'll continue the design
Link Posted: 3/25/2024 11:01:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Assuming this is a 2011 magwell.

Here is my personal input from fitting magwells to 1911s and 2011s.

Make the INSIDE dimensions too large (meaning smaller than needed) not by a huge amount so the people that dont care about blending will be happy with the well as is, but those of us that want to blend it can blend the magwell to the grip rather than the grip to the magwell. I personally hate to blend the grip/frame to the magwell becuase if you ever have to removed it, it looks like shit, especially on a 1911.

other than that one thought it looks good to me

Link Posted: 3/26/2024 6:40:37 PM EDT
[#6]
You going to do polymer or metal?
Link Posted: 3/26/2024 8:46:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Larrys1911:
Assuming this is a 2011 magwell.

Here is my personal input from fitting magwells to 1911s and 2011s.

Make the INSIDE dimensions too large (meaning smaller than needed) not by a huge amount so the people that dont care about blending will be happy with the well as is, but those of us that want to blend it can blend the magwell to the grip rather than the grip to the magwell. I personally hate to blend the grip/frame to the magwell becuase if you ever have to removed it, it looks like shit, especially on a 1911.

other than that one thought it looks good to me

View Quote

I will try my best.

Originally Posted By K1rodeoboater:
You going to do polymer or metal?
View Quote

I plan on doing aluminum, but I am also going to get a quote for polymer ones. Probably 3D printed Nylon 12CF.

Update: Currently talking back and forth with someone, 3D printing some for testing before going into production.
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 12:04:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Current prototype, hopefully have a final prototype by the end of next week.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/30/2024 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Yumago:
Current prototype, hopefully have a final prototype by the end of next week.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/493545/IMG_20240330_092750_jpg-3173534.JPG
View Quote

Nice, looks legit. Keep us posted
Link Posted: 3/31/2024 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Will do, we are almost done with the final prototype. Just a couple more tweaks then I will have some 3D printed to give out for testing.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 5:48:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Nice looking magwell!
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:12:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Glad you guys are ok OP.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Also glad you guys are ok. I am definitely interested in one of your magwells IF you decide to move forward (would even pay upfront if needed).
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 12:49:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a friend who does anno work, for single color ready to anno and enough of em I would bet he would be under 10 each. Heck he did a 1911 frame for me for like 30 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/8/2024 1:37:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
I have a friend who does anno work, for single color ready to anno and enough of em I would bet he would be under 10 each. Heck he did a 1911 frame for me for like 30 bucks.
View Quote

@StaccatoC2 if things progress I will hit you up for more details.

We are moving to the next step and getting preproduction samples 3D printed for testing.

After that, there might be a standstill for a bit.

I'll try and keep everyone updated as much as possible.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:16:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By StaccatoC2:
View Quote

@StaccatoC2, let if you can get me in contact with your buddy about getting anno work done. Looking for quotes.

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 4:19:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Yumago] [#17]
As of now the project is still going forward, I am still working on figuring out cost per unit for a production run. Looking into different sources to machine them but right now the more difficult part is getting them anodizing. One place wants to charge $30 per part to anodize them which would drive the cost up too much.
In the meantime, thanks to /u/Onlyinmurica we have a some 3D printed samples that I would like to have people beta test for me. I have 9 printed in Nylon (gray) and 5 printed in ABS (black)

If you would like to beta test, please comment below that you are interested and I will reach out.

THESE MIGHT REQUIRE FITTING, SINCE THEY ARE 3D PRINTED.

Please fill out the following:

Gun frame Make/Model:

Material wanted:

Use scenario: (competition, ccw, duty, etc)

I want people that will use and abuse these, and see how they hold up. They might break, but that will be part of the beta process. If it breaks, sorry, I do not have replacements and might not make any.
I need honest feedback, pictures etc when you get and use them.
If this project moves forward, and they go into production, and you did beta test them I will give you a discount on the final part.

ALL SAMPLES CURRENTLY SPOKEN FOR

Finally here is a picture of them.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#18]
If it fits on a Prodigy I'd be interested in trying one out.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:48:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MandPdude:
If it fits on a Prodigy I'd be interested in trying one out.
View Quote

Sadly they are all spoken for currently, I'll see if I can get some more printed.

It was initially designed off the Machine Works Magwell. I'm not sure if it will fit the prodigy or not. It might with some fitting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top