Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2024 5:53:53 PM EDT
1911 Experts, looking for some thoughts.
I took out a brand new 1911 today, Tisas Aviator Commander.  No malfunctions EXCEPT; twice it didn't feed the last round in the magazine. Both times the slide over-rode the case head, with the bullet in the chamber.
My brain is saying that it is either or both:  Weak mag spring or slide velocity too high.  One was a MecGar mag, and one was a Metalform. I have had problems with both brands having weak springs.
Any thoughts?|
Overall I am impressed; nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:23:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Clean, lube correctly, and try again.  Break-in is a thing.  

If the problem persists, try some different mags.   I have great success with Chip McCormick mags in all my 1911's.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By M4BlackRifle:
Clean, lube correctly, and try again.  Break-in is a thing.  

If the problem persists, try some different mags.   I have great success with Chip McCormick mags in all my 1911's.
View Quote

Me too. I am 95% sure it's a mag issue; but I wanted to ask some people more knowledgeable than I.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:52:02 AM EDT
[#3]
There used to be a recommendation to go up 2# in recoil spring weight with a new gun.  Extra power helped with feeding issues until the gun broke in/smoothed out. Stock spring on a 45acp Commander should be about 18#, so going with a 20# might help.  Especially if the slide is too fast. Again, as others  have posted.  Lube properly.  For me, that is a light grease(I'm using a white GL2, because that's what I have), rather than the oft recommended oil.  Living in a hot climate, carrying a gun vertically in a holster all day, I learned long ago that oil migrates and 1911s don't run well when dry.
FWIW, almost all of my mags are MecGars, in different calibers for my 1911s(Full Sized, Mid Sized, CCO style).  I don't think that I have ever had that problem.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#4]
As already noted, bolt-over-base malfunctions can be the result of magazine springs that do not push the rounds up fast enough to engage the slide as it screams forward.  A heavier recoil spring will only make things worse since it will move the slide forward even faster.  A common modification is to fit a flat bottom firing pin stop which will allow for the use of a lighter recoil spring.

A test to determine if the magazine springs are at fault is to place two or three live rounds under the mag spring then shoot the pistol.  If there are no more bolt-over-base malfunctions, the magazine spring is the problem.  Placing those rounds under the spring adds tension to the spring.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:30:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A rough breech face will cause that problem.  Polish it.

Tony

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Any of you know what make this magazine is? 45, 8 round.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
The dreaded 8th round jam is pretty common and it almost always has to do with ammo and/or magazine.

My current 1911 has a 8 rounds mecgar magazine that works really well for a wide variety of ammo but on federal ammo, it'll sometimes do what you're describing on the 8th round. Everything else, it works really great.

Personally I would say you have to figure out what your 1911's favorite ammo is. I would recommend if possible to use ball 230gr ammo with the rounded tip. Some .45acp are under powered or have that flat nose on it which doesn't seem to work very well with the feed ramp angle on the frame.

I do not recommend changing anything on your 1911. At best, try a different magazine or load it to 7 rounds instead for that ammo.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 4:59:48 PM EDT
[#8]

That looks like a Mecgar which is common in most oem magazines. Does it have italy printed anywhere on the magazine?
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:03:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Sailormilan2:
There used to be a recommendation to go up 2# in recoil spring weight with a new gun.  Extra power helped with feeding issues until the gun broke in/smoothed out. Stock spring on a 45acp Commander should be about 18#, so going with a 20# might help.  Especially if the slide is too fast. Again, as others  have posted.  Lube properly.  For me, that is a light grease(I'm using a white GL2, because that's what I have), rather than the oft recommended oil.  Living in a hot climate, carrying a gun vertically in a holster all day, I learned long ago that oil migrates and 1911s don't run well when dry.
FWIW, almost all of my mags are MecGars, in different calibers for my 1911s(Full Sized, Mid Sized, CCO style).  I don't think that I have ever had that problem.
View Quote

Please explain to the class how going UP in recoil spring weight will slow the slide velocity.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By dalle0001:

That looks like a Mecgar which is common in most oem magazines. Does it have italy printed anywhere on the magazine?
View Quote

Yep looks like a cheap oem 1911 mag or mecgar.  I really like every mecgar mag, sig, edc 9x, Beretta, etc etc, but their 1911 mags suck compared to wc, Tripp, and chip
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 6:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Steve_Allentown_PA:
As already noted, bolt-over-base malfunctions can be the result of magazine springs that do not push the rounds up fast enough to engage the slide as it screams forward.  A heavier recoil spring will only make things worse since it will move the slide forward even faster.  A common modification is to fit a flat bottom firing pin stop which will allow for the use of a lighter recoil spring.

A test to determine if the magazine springs are at fault is to place two or three live rounds under the mag spring then shoot the pistol.  If there are no more bolt-over-base malfunctions, the magazine spring is the problem.  Placing those rounds under the spring adds tension to the spring.
View Quote

It’s the simple things that I never seem to have thought of.
Smart advice there, I know it will come in handy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:00:10 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, but the follower sure looks like a MecGar. No logo or origin stamp.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:01:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By DH243:

Yep looks like a cheap oem 1911 mag or mecgar.  I really like every mecgar mag, sig, edc 9x, Beretta, etc etc, but their 1911 mags suck compared to wc, Tripp, and chip
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DH243:

My thoughts exactly. Any time I carry a 1911 it has Wilsons or CMs in it.  Never heard of Tripp.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:32:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Ohio:

My thoughts exactly. Any time I carry a 1911 it has Wilsons or CMs in it.  Never heard of Tripp.
View Quote

Tripp cobra mags are great 45acp mags, I'm not a fan of their 9mm or 38s mags.  I like the smaller footprint baseplate of wc steel or the chip power mags.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:52:07 AM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

Virgil Tripp was one of the original guys behind STI IIRC. Their magazines are great and use a follower that is sort of like the ones used by Wilson, but with a metal engagement surface for the slide stop instead of plastic.

They are worth checking out.

No, but the follower sure looks like a MecGar. No logo or origin stamp.

The follower looks like those on my ACW magazines, which IIRC are made by ACT Mag. The baseplate also looks more like my ACT Mags than Mec-Gars, though they are blurry in the pics.

FWIW I have had zero issues with Mec-Gar 1911 magazines across 3 pistols (ACW Prime, Sig Scorpion Carry, and Springfield Loaded). I have more of them than anything else except maybe Wilson 500BC-HDs (my favorite .45 mag) since they were ~$15 ea, but they do seem to get the most mixed reviews of any Mec-Gar product I've read about here.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:24:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steve_Allentown_PA] [#16]
Originally Posted By Ohio:My thoughts exactly. Any time I carry a 1911 it has Wilsons or CMs in it.  Never heard of Tripp.
View Quote
Tripp makes high quality mags and is one of the three most expensive magazine manufacturers the other two being Wilson and McCormick.

For 8 round mags I prefer the Check-Mate extended tube mags sold by Thunder Mountain,  Gun Mag Warehouse and Ed Brown.  In my experience this mag will feed ammo the high priced mags will not.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Steve_Allentown_PA:
Tripp makes high quality mags and is one of the three most expensive magazine manufacturers the other two being Wilson and McCormick.

For 8 round mags I prefer the Check-Mate extended tube mags sold by Thunder Mountain,  Gun Mag Warehouse and Ed Brown.  In my experience this mag will feed ammo the high priced mags will not.
View Quote

I've used those "match" mags in 9mm, I like them too.  I just prefer the smaller footprint baseplate power mags and wc steel on etm mags.  I do have a couple 38s factory and customs that prefer the chip mags, mainly because the wc etm follower(new style steel) will over ride slide stop on empty and require clawing mag out from pistol.  The older etm 38s mags used a poly follower that worked better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top